Zuerst

Plutonium Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
Republic of Texas
Status
With all the necessary walking associated with interviews, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of dress shoes; one of those dressy slip on types without shoelaces since they seem to be more comfortable... think that's alright or go with the more traditional dress shoes with laces?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Zuerst said:
With all the necessary walking associated with interviews, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of dress shoes; one of those dressy slip on types without shoelaces since they seem to be more confotable... think that's alright or go with the more traditional dress shoes with laces?
I doubt that anyone is going to notice.

About the Ads

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status
MD/PhD Student
Whichever is more comfortable. The lace-less shoes tend to be more uncomfortable for me.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I think interviewers are specifically trained to not say "Nice shoes..." due to innuendo...

Zuerst said:
With all the necessary walking associated with interviews, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of dress shoes; one of those dressy slip on types without shoelaces since they seem to be more comfortable... think that's alright or go with the more traditional dress shoes with laces?

Christo1

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Teerawit said:
Whichever is more comfortable. The lace-less shoes tend to be more uncomfortable for me.
Yeaahhh. The ones with the small elsatic pieces on the sides? I love those. easy to put on and stylish too. Yeah who's gonna notice? They'll only notice if you walk in with a pair of chucks, which would be so cool, yet so frowned upon I'm sure.

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Remember the quote in The Shawshank Redemption?

"Honestly, how often do you look at a person's shoes?"

Gotcha!

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Status
ADeadLois said:

Just to play devils advocate....

" Momma always says there's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going. Where they've been...." -Forrest Gump

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Funny thing is, I always notice if the shoes don't go with the suit. Met a guy interviewing for a chem prof position - he had on a nice blue suit, but these beat up brown unpolished loafers that didn't even go with the suit. Totally spoiled the image he was trying to project and made me wonder what other things he was sloppy about. I think if the shoes had been polished it wouldn't have mattered if they were purple or pink, but for someone so outwardly pulled together, for the shoes to be sooo out of sync was screaming "FAKE PERSON HERE".

Polish your shoes. Other than that, I don't think it matters.

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status
MD/PhD Student
Gonna play it safe with polished black shoes and black suit then :cool:

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Zuerst said:
I went with shoes that didn't have laces.

About the Ads

ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
ADeadLois said:

That's kind of funny....I actually look at people's shoes alot. That is one of the first things that I notice about people. Not that I think it says a ton about people, but sometimes you could get a feel for people by the shoes they wore. (And then again, maybe I'm just a stereotyper...)

Nevertheless, Aldo brand slipons with the a squared off toe (not TOO squared off, mind you...but definitely some) that match your suit would look nice. If you can, wear a suit that will let you wear the reddish-brown shoes with the black soles. And please, NO buckle. Makes you look like a pilgrim...

Wait, wait, wait.....I forgot that I was on studentdoctor.net and thought this was studentfashion.net.........disregard this entire post

UCLAMAN

Air Jordan Collector
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Corona, CA
Visit site
Status
personally, i think you should go for air jordans....

...in fact...the air jordan iv retro mars blackmon edition is releasing tomorrow. i am purchasing 3 pairs but can buy you an extra pair tomorrow(assuming you reimburse me the costs) if you don't want to stand in line at 4am tomorrow.

air jordans during your interview would rock. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
I'm ditching the uncomfortable heels for a pair of ballet slipper flats. More comfortable (plus my only heels are 3 inch heels which would put me dangerously close to 6 ft and I've heard people find tall women intimidating - how's that for paranoid? :laugh: )

sicem07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
There are a good deal of shoes, Cole Haan has a series (they're owned by Nike), that are essentially athletic shoes but made to look dressy. Really comfortable, can be pricey, but I'd say worth it. They have cheaper versions, but still comfortable, at any department store. I recommend.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
Just and FYI... if you're ever in a position where you have to wear those shoes over an extended period, lace-up shoes offer more support than a lofer. I saw an article a while back in no less a fashion source than GQ magazine pushing laced shoes.

That said, go with whatever dress shoe you like the best (that will make you feel the most comfortable and confident.) That's the key for your interviews anyway.

Good Luck! :luck:

UCLAMAN

Air Jordan Collector
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Corona, CA
Visit site
Status

UCLAMAN

Air Jordan Collector
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Corona, CA
Visit site
Status

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
Gonna play it safe with polished black shoes and black suit then
IMHO, anything other than black shoes with a black suit looks bad. Cordovan pretty much goes with any other color suit, tho.

Rockport dress shoes tend to be pretty comfortable. I just bought 2 pair of Oxford's (very safe, conservative shoe choice) last week, and need to see if they work with my suit.

About the Ads