Shoes for interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuerst

Plutonium Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the necessary walking associated with interviews, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of dress shoes; one of those dressy slip on types without shoelaces since they seem to be more comfortable... think that's alright or go with the more traditional dress shoes with laces?

Members don't see this ad.

Zuerst said:
With all the necessary walking associated with interviews, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of dress shoes; one of those dressy slip on types without shoelaces since they seem to be more confotable... think that's alright or go with the more traditional dress shoes with laces?

I doubt that anyone is going to notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whichever is more comfortable. The lace-less shoes tend to be more uncomfortable for me.

I think interviewers are specifically trained to not say "Nice shoes..." due to innuendo...

Zuerst said:
With all the necessary walking associated with interviews, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of dress shoes; one of those dressy slip on types without shoelaces since they seem to be more comfortable... think that's alright or go with the more traditional dress shoes with laces?

Teerawit said:
Whichever is more comfortable. The lace-less shoes tend to be more uncomfortable for me.

Yeaahhh. The ones with the small elsatic pieces on the sides? I love those. easy to put on and stylish too. Yeah who's gonna notice? They'll only notice if you walk in with a pair of chucks, which would be so cool, yet so frowned upon I'm sure.

Remember the quote in The Shawshank Redemption?

"Honestly, how often do you look at a person's shoes?"

ADeadLois said:

Just to play devils advocate....

" Momma always says there's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going. Where they've been...." -Forrest Gump

Funny thing is, I always notice if the shoes don't go with the suit. Met a guy interviewing for a chem prof position - he had on a nice blue suit, but these beat up brown unpolished loafers that didn't even go with the suit. Totally spoiled the image he was trying to project and made me wonder what other things he was sloppy about. I think if the shoes had been polished it wouldn't have mattered if they were purple or pink, but for someone so outwardly pulled together, for the shoes to be sooo out of sync was screaming "FAKE PERSON HERE".

Polish your shoes. Other than that, I don't think it matters.

Gonna play it safe with polished black shoes and black suit then :cool:

Zuerst said:

I went with shoes that didn't have laces.

a pair of b/w converse allstar would do too

Members don't see this ad :)
ADeadLois said:

That's kind of funny....I actually look at people's shoes alot. That is one of the first things that I notice about people. Not that I think it says a ton about people, but sometimes you could get a feel for people by the shoes they wore. (And then again, maybe I'm just a stereotyper...)

Nevertheless, Aldo brand slipons with the a squared off toe (not TOO squared off, mind you...but definitely some) that match your suit would look nice. If you can, wear a suit that will let you wear the reddish-brown shoes with the black soles. And please, NO buckle. Makes you look like a pilgrim...

Wait, wait, wait.....I forgot that I was on studentdoctor.net and thought this was studentfashion.net.........disregard this entire post

personally, i think you should go for air jordans....

...in fact...the air jordan iv retro mars blackmon edition is releasing tomorrow. i am purchasing 3 pairs but can buy you an extra pair tomorrow(assuming you reimburse me the costs) if you don't want to stand in line at 4am tomorrow.

air jordans during your interview would rock. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm ditching the uncomfortable heels for a pair of ballet slipper flats. More comfortable (plus my only heels are 3 inch heels which would put me dangerously close to 6 ft and I've heard people find tall women intimidating - how's that for paranoid? :laugh: )

There are a good deal of shoes, Cole Haan has a series (they're owned by Nike), that are essentially athletic shoes but made to look dressy. Really comfortable, can be pricey, but I'd say worth it. They have cheaper versions, but still comfortable, at any department store. I recommend.

Just and FYI... if you're ever in a position where you have to wear those shoes over an extended period, lace-up shoes offer more support than a lofer. I saw an article a while back in no less a fashion source than GQ magazine pushing laced shoes.

That said, go with whatever dress shoe you like the best (that will make you feel the most comfortable and confident.) That's the key for your interviews anyway.

Good Luck! :luck:

Gonna play it safe with polished black shoes and black suit then

IMHO, anything other than black shoes with a black suit looks bad. Cordovan pretty much goes with any other color suit, tho.

Rockport dress shoes tend to be pretty comfortable. I just bought 2 pair of Oxford's (very safe, conservative shoe choice) last week, and need to see if they work with my suit.