Shoes, Shoes, Shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pressmom

Third year!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking a lot lately about shoes. I'm working at the VTH this summer and need some professional-looking shoes that are comfortable. Right now I'm wearing all-black Diesel sneakers, but I'd like something more adult. In scrubs, I don't mind wearing crocs or sneakers, but since I'm in radiology, I wear real clothes. I've heard good things about Danskos, but does anyone have any other suggestions/brands or any insight into Dansko styles?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been thinking a lot lately about shoes. I'm working at the VTH this summer and need some professional-looking shoes that are comfortable. Right now I'm wearing all-black Diesel sneakers, but I'd like something more adult. In scrubs, I don't mind wearing crocs or sneakers, but since I'm in radiology, I wear real clothes. I've heard good things about Danskos, but does anyone have any other suggestions/brands or any insight into Dansko styles?

Thanks!
I like the Dansko professional clogs. Just make sure you try them on (DO not order online) because they are all hand stretched, so the same size may not fit the same. Also, make sure the shoe is big enough that you can stick you pinky in between the back of your foot and the shoe easily. Danskos should feel loose and kinda fall off the back some when you walk. Watch your ankles when you are getting used to them. They really will save your feet if you end up in a really long surgery or stuck standing for a long time.:thumbup:

I like the Dansko professional clogs. Just make sure you try them on (DO not order online) because they are all hand stretched, so the same size may not fit the same. Also, make sure the shoe is big enough that you can stick you pinky in between the back of your foot and the shoe easily. Danskos should feel loose and kinda fall off the back some when you walk. Watch your ankles when you are getting used to them. They really will save your feet if you end up in a really long surgery or stuck standing for a long time.:thumbup:

chris,

I have the Dansko clogs (open heel) and have been considering getting the professional clogs. Your comments about the looseness being desirable piques my curiosity - why is this recommended?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
chris,

I have the Dansko clogs (open heel) and have been considering getting the professional clogs. Your comments about the looseness being desirable piques my curiosity - why is this recommended?

Thanks!

That is how the shoe is properly worn. I made the mistake of fitting them like I would any other shoe (went to Nordstroms and the sales person did not know crap about the shoes) and they really were uncomfortable. I was trying to figure out why people like them so much when someone told me about the correct fitting for them. I had been wearing a size too small...
Went to a birkenstock store and the person there knew all about the shoes and helped me get proper fitting shoes..........HUGE difference:laugh:

When I have bought them over the years, I have found that you may have to try on multiple pairs of the same size to find ones that will fit you correctly. I think last time I tried on 4 pairs before I found ones that fit right in the arches and toes. They are total back/feet savers.

I've found that the regular Danskos tend to be really wide, but they do make a narrow version of the professional clog if your feet are slim. I couldn't even walk normally in the regular clogs (the footbed was the right length but my feet wiggled around and I twisted my ankles a lot), but the narrow ones fit me really well. I do have pretty narrow feet (but these are the only shoes I've actually had to get in a narrow width), but I've had several friends with regular width feet try on my Danskos and they also preferred the fit of the narrow as opposed to regular width. Just something to think about when trying them on.

They are awesome shoes and I love them. I bought them for walking around at horse shows and now I wear them 90% of the time because they are so comfortable and easy to deal with.

pressmom, go to the Walking Store in West Hills Mall and you can try on all kinds of great, comfortable shoes. I have extremely, EXTREMELY high arches, and everyone told me Dansko would be great. I wore them while I worked in the VTH over Christmas break and ended up taking them back, because for me they were torture, even though the girl knew how to fit them.

My feet do better in Ecco and Beautifeel. The point being, every foot is different, so you might need to try on a lot of shoes. The Walking Store carries all the high end comfortable shoes, and they are well trained, so I would start there.

i love my crocs. and danskos rock, just buy them loose. i have the professional close-backed kind.

Dansko professional clogs all the way! I do regular width. I've gotten lucky by buying on eBay, except one pair that was just too snug (that variability unfortunately). I turned around and re-sold 'em on eBay without a problem.

The marcelle style is nice too. I don't have a pair, but someday.

Ideally, closed-back shoes give your feet the most support, as well as shoes that have a nice deep 'heel cup' for your heel. A plantar fasciitis experience last summer - with a few visits to a podiatrist - 'learned' me about shoes. :(

With that said, I love my Ecco sneakers, which is where I use the supports I have from the doc. I can really feel a difference in my feet after wearing 'em.

The podiatrist highly recommended New Balance 925 style sneakers for their heel and overall support. I got a pair of those on eBay and like 'em alot too!