shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

grapefruit17

This is a completely random question, but I was looking for some really comfortable guy shoes that can pass for dress schools. Something that looks good for psychiatry residency but also is comfortable. What do you guys wear?

anyone have reccomendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit biased but look at these for being on your feet for long hours.
Dress Casual Shoes
Those look like some nice shoes for casual everyday work wear. I might have to get a pair of those. As another option, I just bought a pair of ECCO loafers that are a little bit dressier but super comfortable.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/ecco-mens-helsinki-comfort-loafers?ID=423098&CategoryID=70405#fn=sp=1&spc=403&ruleId=78|BS&slotId=19
Wore them all day at a wedding and even danced for a few hours in them and feet felt fine.

Reactions: 1 user
SAS shoe store. "When comfort and safety are most important". Translation: "fashion be damned". Some are ugly and some are OK, but all feel like slippers.

Those look like some nice shoes for casual everyday work wear. I might have to get a pair of those. As another option, I just bought a pair of ECCO loafers that are a little bit dressier but super comfortable.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/ecco-mens-helsinki-comfort-loafers?ID=423098&CategoryID=70405#fn=sp=1&spc=403&ruleId=78|BS&slotId=19
Wore them all day at a wedding and even danced for a few hours in them and feet felt fine.

I would recommend getting Dansko's whenever possible. There is a reason everyone in the OR is wearing their clogs. Fantastic foot support.
Personal story, when I was MS3 on my 3 months of GS I had developed a serious case of plantar fasciitis that I could barely walk. In looking and talking with a resident, we got on the topic of Danskos. I went out and got a pair right away. Within 2 days it had cleared up. I don't wear anything else but these when working.

San Antonio Shoe Store is the opposite, they are more like putting your feet inside of a burlap bag filled with cotton, and very little support. We are not surgeons, but if you are on your feet all day... I still have Dansko's from way back when I stood more.

Until recently I wore dress shoes daily, but I'm a long distance runner (frequent injuries) and had arch collapse with calcaneal valgus, so I got custom orthodics that fit in my running shoes and are super comfortable (and with A LOT of PT resolved my orthopedic issues). I now wear running shoes with dress slacks at work, and no one cares! I will continue to do this, only wearing dress shoes for important events, etc

Reactions: 2 users
And HarryMTieboutMD's admission will not narrow down his anonymity one bit. One casual glance at the foot ware in our hospital elevator and I swear I'm at a track meet.

Very good responses. I'm looking at all these now lol.

This is a high yield topic for residents. Wearing uncomfortable shoes for 10 to 12 hour days makes life suck.

My Psychiatrist wears something similar, they look heaps comfy and still dressy at the same time. I definitely think something like these would be a good pick.

I'm gonna mix it up and suggest a super spendy option. I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds on eBay for $50 and I liked them. I give them a 6/10 in comfort but a 10/10 in style.

Then my wife got me a pair of Brooks Brothers (same company, AE, makes the shoe) and I started wearing them from day one. They have a cork lining that YOU mold and they are 10/10 comfort and 10/10 style.

THEN I sent in the EBay shoes and paid $150 for the complete restore or whatever, and they came back like new with fresh cork soles. The $50 shoe turned into 10/10s.

Scope Ebay for your size, and for $150 you can send them in for complete restoration and basically get new shoes. AE also has a "seconds" store where you get shoes with minor blemishes for like half price.

Finally, my attending wears cowboy boots and he says he paid $400 and has been wearing them for 15 years.

Moral: with shoes, a quality brand is worth the cost. Do some research in the $300+ range and you won't be disappointed.