G
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm a bit biased but look at these for being on your feet for long hours.
Dress Casual Shoes
Dress Casual Shoes
Sometimes I just wear sneakers. If you want, you can buy all-black-leather sneakers which sorta pass for dress shoes at first glance.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those look like some nice shoes for casual everyday work wear. I might have to get a pair of those. As another option, I just bought a pair of ECCO loafers that are a little bit dressier but super comfortable.I'm a bit biased but look at these for being on your feet for long hours.
Dress Casual Shoes
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/ecco-mens-helsinki-comfort-loafers?ID=423098&CategoryID=70405#fn=sp=1&spc=403&ruleId=78|BS&slotId=19
Wore them all day at a wedding and even danced for a few hours in them and feet felt fine.
SAS shoe store. "When comfort and safety are most important". Translation: "fashion be damned". Some are ugly and some are OK, but all feel like slippers.
Check out Cole Haan Lunargrand and Zerogrand. Essentially, dress shoe with Nike running shoe sole. I get tons of compliments.
https://cdna.lystit.com/photos/cdda...-oxfords-gray-product-2-196997788-normal.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
https://cdna.lystit.com/photos/cdda...-oxfords-gray-product-2-196997788-normal.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Those look like some nice shoes for casual everyday work wear. I might have to get a pair of those. As another option, I just bought a pair of ECCO loafers that are a little bit dressier but super comfortable.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/ecco-mens-helsinki-comfort-loafers?ID=423098&CategoryID=70405#fn=sp=1&spc=403&ruleId=78|BS&slotId=19
Wore them all day at a wedding and even danced for a few hours in them and feet felt fine.
I would recommend getting Dansko's whenever possible. There is a reason everyone in the OR is wearing their clogs. Fantastic foot support.
Personal story, when I was MS3 on my 3 months of GS I had developed a serious case of plantar fasciitis that I could barely walk. In looking and talking with a resident, we got on the topic of Danskos. I went out and got a pair right away. Within 2 days it had cleared up. I don't wear anything else but these when working.
San Antonio Shoe Store is the opposite, they are more like putting your feet inside of a burlap bag filled with cotton, and very little support. We are not surgeons, but if you are on your feet all day... I still have Dansko's from way back when I stood more.
Rockports
H
HarryMTieboutMD
Until recently I wore dress shoes daily, but I'm a long distance runner (frequent injuries) and had arch collapse with calcaneal valgus, so I got custom orthodics that fit in my running shoes and are super comfortable (and with A LOT of PT resolved my orthopedic issues). I now wear running shoes with dress slacks at work, and no one cares! I will continue to do this, only wearing dress shoes for important events, etc
And HarryMTieboutMD's admission will not narrow down his anonymity one bit. One casual glance at the foot ware in our hospital elevator and I swear I'm at a track meet.
G
grapefruit17
Very good responses. I'm looking at all these now lol.
This is a high yield topic for residents. Wearing uncomfortable shoes for 10 to 12 hour days makes life suck.
This is a high yield topic for residents. Wearing uncomfortable shoes for 10 to 12 hour days makes life suck.
Sketchers have some good options that pass for dress shoes to some degree. I'm a huge fan of OluKai, although they are not cheap: OluKai Hawaiian-Inspired Footwear : Shoes, Sandals, Boots. These in particular: OluKai Moloa
Those look like some nice shoes for casual everyday work wear. I might have to get a pair of those. As another option, I just bought a pair of ECCO loafers that are a little bit dressier but super comfortable.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/ecco-mens-helsinki-comfort-loafers?ID=423098&CategoryID=70405#fn=sp=1&spc=403&ruleId=78|BS&slotId=19
Wore them all day at a wedding and even danced for a few hours in them and feet felt fine.
My Psychiatrist wears something similar, they look heaps comfy and still dressy at the same time. I definitely think something like these would be a good pick.
agreeSAS shoe store. "When comfort and safety are most important". Translation: "fashion be damned". Some are ugly and some are OK, but all feel like slippers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm gonna mix it up and suggest a super spendy option. I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds on eBay for $50 and I liked them. I give them a 6/10 in comfort but a 10/10 in style.
Then my wife got me a pair of Brooks Brothers (same company, AE, makes the shoe) and I started wearing them from day one. They have a cork lining that YOU mold and they are 10/10 comfort and 10/10 style.
THEN I sent in the EBay shoes and paid $150 for the complete restore or whatever, and they came back like new with fresh cork soles. The $50 shoe turned into 10/10s.
Scope Ebay for your size, and for $150 you can send them in for complete restoration and basically get new shoes. AE also has a "seconds" store where you get shoes with minor blemishes for like half price.
Finally, my attending wears cowboy boots and he says he paid $400 and has been wearing them for 15 years.
Moral: with shoes, a quality brand is worth the cost. Do some research in the $300+ range and you won't be disappointed.
Then my wife got me a pair of Brooks Brothers (same company, AE, makes the shoe) and I started wearing them from day one. They have a cork lining that YOU mold and they are 10/10 comfort and 10/10 style.
THEN I sent in the EBay shoes and paid $150 for the complete restore or whatever, and they came back like new with fresh cork soles. The $50 shoe turned into 10/10s.
Scope Ebay for your size, and for $150 you can send them in for complete restoration and basically get new shoes. AE also has a "seconds" store where you get shoes with minor blemishes for like half price.
Finally, my attending wears cowboy boots and he says he paid $400 and has been wearing them for 15 years.
Moral: with shoes, a quality brand is worth the cost. Do some research in the $300+ range and you won't be disappointed.