Sholarships for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwaggyPedro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying for an HPSP scholarship, but I want to know how commonly dental schools give out scholarships first. I don't want to do the military solely for financial reasons, but it's obviously a huge factor. I have a 25 AA and 4.0+ GPA. My ECs and shadowing/volunteer hours are strong and I think I will interview well, but I'm not URM and I'm applying to several OOS schools. From the lack of info on SDN about scholarships, I'm sure there's some sort of NDA for scholarship recipients, but does anyone have any idea? I know about the dean's scholarships at Penn btw.

Also, does anyone know if you can apply for the three year Air Force HPSP scholarship after D1? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to tell with scholarships. I got one of the $10k scholarships with my acceptance at NYU (they also give out $20k, maybe $30k too but I can't remember). That was the only school to give me a scholarship with my acceptance. With my financial aid package, UCSF gave me a 20% scholarship. No idea if it will last the four year though.

Stats: 24 DAT, 3.9 GPA, very strong ECs but no research

Scholarships are more common with med schools than dental schools. Some schools offer scholarships to exceptional OOS students to help balance the cost. Uconn offers a tuition scholarship and you need to do some time in Connecticut after you graduate(not sure if thats still there for upcoming year). NYU offers a 10-20k a year scholarship if you maintain a 3.0. UNC offers a similar deal to Uconn. Temple offers some sort of a scholarship that requires an essay, not sure about the amount. CASE offers a scholarship similar to NYU, not sure if its annual though. UB offers a full tuition scholarship too I believe. Upenn offers a dean scholarship too.

So yea, you increase your chances if you have higher stats. Some seem to be minority oriented too, especially if the funds are from an outside contributor.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 3.0 and A 20 DAT and got $8500 in scholarships, $5000 od which is renewable, the other $3500 can reapply each year...

Reactions: 1 users
NHSC/HPSP/HSCP

I'd say most peopl took the military scholarship for financial reasons(me included) . However, just be open to what military can offer later..

It's hard to tell with scholarships. I got one of the $10k scholarships with my acceptance at NYU (they also give out $20k, maybe $30k too but I can't remember). That was the only school to give me a scholarship with my acceptance. With my financial aid package, UCSF gave me a 20% scholarship. No idea if it will last the four year though.

Stats: 24 DAT, 3.9 GPA, very strong ECs but no research
Were you low-income or were those scholarships merit-based?