short career lifespan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineses

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings! Currently I'm a house officer in Malaysia. Am interested to do ophth. But have heard that ophth has a short career lifespan due to the microsurgery. Perhaps someone can comment on this so that I have a clearer picture. What happens after that when u cant do surgery anymore. What are the career options? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean a "short career lifspan due to the microsurgery". There are surgeons in their 60s doing phacoemulsification.

In addition, you can always concentrate on medical ophthalmology. For me, I'll be doing research and working on interests outside of ophthalmology.

ineses said:
Greetings! Currently I'm a house officer in Malaysia. Am interested to do ophth. But have heard that ophth has a short career lifespan due to the microsurgery. Perhaps someone can comment on this so that I have a clearer picture. What happens after that when u cant do surgery anymore. What are the career options? Thanks

Couldn't you still do general ophth? I was in clinic with a fairly old, chain-smoking ophthalmologist and he saw a lot of general cases. That day we saw pingucuelum, morning glory pit, 5-year-old with strabismus, ?DR, ?hydroxychloroquine toxicity. I'm sure he doesn't do surgery anymore but fills rest of his time with sailing and golf.

For me, I'm more interested in medical side of ophthalmology, having always thought of myself as more of a physician than a surgeon. I was never confident in my manual abilities but somebody said "How can you know that you're not going to be good at it if you don't actually do it???"

I wouldn't worry about that. There are plenty of surgeons still operating up to or past 60. There are many others who have made enough money & retired early. Or you can keep working & give all the surgery to your junior partner who will gladly take it. Lots of options.