Short on time and in need of DAT Study Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

norfleet1131

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently a Junior, preparing to take the DAT and apply this upcoming cycle. I have 16 credits this semester and work as a tutor, so I have been fairly busy and cannot devote as much time as I would like to DAT prep (probably about 3hr/week currently). However, I am off of school in late April with no commitments aside from 20hr/week of work in the summer. I really wanted to take the DAT as soon as I can so I can have my application in during the early stages of the cycle, meaning a test date of early-mid June at the latest.

This leads me to my dilemna. For those of you planning to or those of you who have taken the DAT, how would you recommended studying if you only had 1-1.5 months of dedicated study time for it? I feel like there are so many opinions out there, and I am struggling at devloping a study plan.

I appreciate any recommendations you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

I think PAT is the most time consuming section. since you only have 3hr/week available right now then devote your time on that. When summer comes around, study for the other sections. 1.5 months should be enough to do well but have a definite plan for each day of that month. This is how I would go about it.

I think PAT is the most time consuming section. since you only have 3hr/week available right now then devote your time on that. When summer comes around, study for the other sections. 1.5 months should be enough to do well but have a definite plan for each day of that month. This is how I would go about it.
Thanks for the advice! Its reassuring knowing I should have enough time after seeing so many people study off of 12 week plans.

Hi everyone!

I am currently a Junior, preparing to take the DAT and apply this upcoming cycle. I have 16 credits this semester and work as a tutor, so I have been fairly busy and cannot devote as much time as I would like to DAT prep (probably about 3hr/week currently). However, I am off of school in late April with no commitments aside from 20hr/week of work in the summer. I really wanted to take the DAT as soon as I can so I can have my application in during the early stages of the cycle, meaning a test date of early-mid June at the latest.

This leads me to my dilemna. For those of you planning to or those of you who have taken the DAT, how would you recommended studying if you only had 1-1.5 months of dedicated study time for it? I feel like there are so many opinions out there, and I am struggling at devloping a study plan.

Hi everyone!

Hi, A lot depends on the foundation you already have. If you have a strong foundation and are a good student you should be able to reach your goal. I do suggest you make a study scheduled tailored to you and not someone else's schedule. This is an important step so take your time creating your study plan. If you only have 3 hours a week now to study, set the day and time and make sure you consistently study on that day as scheduled. If you think you could get up an hour earlier a few days a week perhaps you could schedule a little more study time then. Follow the schedule you create it is important that you, stick to it. So between now and April you can make your plan and studly lightly. Even before going to bed a night you can manage to read a least one article that will help you increase your comprehension and speed levels over time. Small steps taken consistently add up over time.

You will know when you are ready to take the DAT, all students are different and some need more time than others. This is not an exam you want to take more than once, so it is important to take it when you are ready, don't rush the process. There is a misconception if you don't apply early you will not get in, false. Focus on high DAT Scores and a well thought out and written personal statement and application.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers, #think30

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, A lot depends on the foundation you already have. If you have a strong foundation and are a good student you should be able to reach your goal. I do suggest you make a study scheduled tailored to you and not someone else's schedule. This is an important step so take your time creating your study plan. If you only have 3 hours a week now to study, set the day and time and make sure you consistently study on that day as scheduled. If you think you could get up an hour earlier a few days a week perhaps you could schedule a little more study time then. Follow the schedule you create it is important that you, stick to it. So between now and April you can make your plan and studly lightly. Even before going to bed a night you can manage to read a least one article that will help you increase your comprehension and speed levels over time. Small steps taken consistently add up over time.

You will know when you are ready to take the DAT, all students are different and some need more time than others. This is not an exam you want to take more than once, so it is important to take it when you are ready, don't rush the process. There is a misconception if you don't apply early you will not get in, false. Focus on high DAT Scores and a well thought out and written personal statement and application.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers, #think30
Thank you for the input. I'm definitely falling into the one way of thinking that you must have your application in no later than mid-June to have a good chance. I really appreciate the reassurance and advice from an expert! How far in advance would you recommend scheduling the DAT? I know its different on an individual basis but any general advice? I often hear you should schedule ahead 3-3.5 months.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
This is a great question and one I get asked very often. When to take the DAT? I don't think you need to schedule that far in advance but I would suggest you contact your testing center and ask what they recommend in case spots are taken. We are in the NYC area and that is never a problem, but different states might not be the same. You don't want to put pressure on yourself by scheduling a date you might not be prepared to meet.

The best advice I can ever give a student is what I have learned from talking to thousands of students through the years, I learn more from when things go wrong than when things go right when a students take the DAT.

The number one reason students do not do well on the DAT exam is rushing to take it before they are fully prepared. Only you know when that will be, focus on learning the concepts, that is very important, you are going for a 30, right? If not you should be. 30's are very very possible on the DAT with hard work. You should always always #think30 nothing less.

I have truly enjoyed helping students through the years and when that student gets a triple 30 I don't know who is happier the student or me.

I do truly wish you the best and with hard work and a plan you can achieve you dream, I believe you can, you do the same.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user