Shot in hell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CjOz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I'm from TX, looking to apply to all the TX med schools plus a couple DO schools. I actually take my MCAT in 4 days but I have been scoring between 28-30 on my AAMC practice tests. cGPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.67.

Volunteer at hospital - 85 hours
Hospice Volunteer - 40 hours - still volunteering.
currently working as an ER scribe for last 8 months having hundreds of hours of pt contact and clinical experience.
Shadowed ENT Doc and shadowed him in several surgeries.

Strong upward trending grade curve - made 19 A's out of last 20 courses finishing with a BA in Biology with a minor in Chem.
Will be volunteering at a childrens shelter beginning this summer.
LOR's from 2 doctors.

I guess im just wondering where I am competitively and if I have a chance at MD/DO school if my practice MCAT scores were to carry through to the real thing.

Thanks in an advice guys! Have a great night.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone? anyone? Buehler?

There's definitely a shot in hell. I don't know about elsewhere, though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, first post here. I'm from TX, looking to apply to all the TX med schools plus a couple DO schools. I actually take my MCAT in 4 days but I have been scoring between 28-30 on my AAMC practice tests. cGPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.67.

Volunteer at hospital - 85 hours
Hospice Volunteer - 40 hours - still volunteering.
currently working as an ER scribe for last 8 months having hundreds of hours of pt contact and clinical experience.
Shadowed ENT Doc and shadowed him in several surgeries.

Strong upward trending grade curve - made 19 A's out of last 20 courses finishing with a BA in Biology with a minor in Chem.
Will be volunteering at a childrens shelter beginning this summer.
LOR's from 2 doctors.

I guess im just wondering where I am competitively and if I have a chance at MD/DO school if my practice MCAT scores were to carry through to the real thing.

Thanks in an advice guys! Have a great night.

I think you should be fine.

if you want to maximize your chances, don't take the MCAT now. Study more during your break and take it in June. If you score lower than you expect, you're hosed. That score will make or break your application. Do you want a 28 or a 32?
I wouldn't take it with that that score going in. but that's me.
Good luck.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! I'll retake the mcat if I get below a 28. It's too late to push it back. Do you guys think I could get into a mid-low range DO school with a 28? As a scribe I get to see DOs at work but I'm actually only working with MDs on my shifts. Also both my LORs are from MDs.

28 would be very competitive for DO. In my opinion you have a strong application for DO, and a shot at MD as well.

Thanks for the responses! I'll retake the mcat if I get below a 28. It's too late to push it back. Do you guys think I could get into a mid-low range DO school with a 28? As a scribe I get to see DOs at work but I'm actually only working with MDs on my shifts. Also both my LORs are from MDs.
You can cancel the MCAT and be out the money... You would be better off doing that than re-taking it, obviously.

You have to have a LOR from a DO for most DO schools, so if you want to apply DO, either exclusively or as a backup, you should talk to someone who will provide one for you.

Hopefully, your LOR's aren't just from doctors...most schools want to see professor LOR's and couldn't care less about LOR's from physicians that never had you in a class. Physician LOR's won't hurt, but it could hurt you if you don't have professor LOR's.

Your gpa seems okay. And it's always possible to do better on the real MCAT than practice tests but what stands out to me is your EC lack diversity. You might want to consider pushing back the MCAT and getting some non-medical volunteering and leadership. A little research wouldn't hurt but it's not an absolute requirement.

I agree, I feel my weakest point in my application is my EC's. Though I have volunteering hours, they are all medical related and I literally have zero EC's based on leadership. Thank you everybody for your feedback. How do you think my app would fair at UNTHSC-TCOM? I know that their avg MCAT is about 28 with about a 3.5 gpa.