Shoud I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tqd85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Score is PAT: 23 AA:19 TS: 17

is that good enough to apply or should i study and retake it this August?

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply early you might have a chance depending on your gpa. I would just be a bit concerned about th 17 TS since the science sections are really important on the dat.

If you apply early you might have a chance depending on your gpa. I would just be a bit concerned about th 17 TS since the science sections are really important on the dat.

Especially since most dental schools use this as a representation of how you will probably do on the Boards and affect THEIR reputation in terms of scores and pass rates...

My advice, if you think you can do that well (or close to it) on PAT, then try and retake it to get your TS at least around a 19-20 (depends on GPA too).

Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
have you taken a lot of science courses?

Adcom wants to see a high science gpa from the upper level courses, not just from pre-req courses.

If you have taken plenty of upper level courses and did well in all of them I think you would be considered as a competitive applicant. But if not, try to retake it to improve the TS and AA score. :thumbup:

i have a 3.7 (science gpa also around 3.7)

Go ahead and apply but retake at same time. I don't think your science GPA coincides with your TS on exam. With that GPA you should be getting a 20 and up for TS, thats a RED flag for Adcoms. Goodluck!