Should a premed take 3 upper class bio classes in one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering would it be insane for a student to take
BIO 341 HUMAN ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY
BIO 345W GENETICS
BIO 347W GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY

Has anyone done this? How many biology classes should I take a semster? I am a Bio major.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds doable. In one semester, I took biochem, genetics, animal behavior, and 15hrs/week+ of research and still had some free time. Also, when I took microbiology, it was basically a review of stuff I had learned in numerous classes.

There's not a steadfast rule here. It's my understanding that admissions committees like to students to carry a tough courseload to see that they can cut it in med school.

That said, it's really dependent on what you feel comfortable with. Ideally you'd want to take the hardest courseload that you can do well with (academically) AND keep from stressing too much with. This would vary on study habits, jobs, and other extracurricular commitments.

hope this helps

Dave.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if you like to study. But no, it would not be insane.

I, personally, have never taken more than 2 upper div. bio classes at once, which was doable (w/2 other classes in diff. disciplines). I just wouldn't want that much lab time in one semester, and it depends if you're taking other classes, or have other major time commitments (e.g. work) that would cut into study time.

Why would you take all 3 at once? Do you have to?

Why don't you ask an academic advisor rather than a bunch of strangers who don't go to your school and have no idea of the difficulty of the classes or of your ability to handle said classes?

Originally posted by menemotxi
Why don't you ask an academic advisor rather than a bunch of strangers who don't go to your school and have no idea of the difficulty of the classes or of your ability to handle said classes?

that's the first smart post on this thread. bubbajones, judging from your previous threads (C-, F) ... i have little reason to believe you can handle one upper div. bio class, much less 3. maybe i'm wrong though

It is personal decision, but that schedule is rather easy if that is all you are planning on taking. If each was a four hour class, that would put you at the limit of just being a full-time student. When you become a junior or senior, all of your classes will be advance. So three upper level bio isn't that much at all.

Personally, last semester I had upperlevel biochem, PChem, Physics 2, Genetics and Philosophy.

It is doable, just remember to work hard.

Do it if you need to. I have taken Genetics, Cell, Medical Microbiology, and a seminar class in one semester. My hardest was Physics 2, Organic 2, Immunology (graduate class), and physiology.

Originally posted by menemotxi

Academic advisors often don't know the difficulty of classes or your ability to handle those classes anyway. From my experience, they seem to baby you to take the easiest courseload possible. To the OP, it really depends on how many other classes and what other responsibilities you have.

Originally posted by bubbajones
I was wondering would it be insane for a student to take
BIO 341 HUMAN ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY
BIO 345W GENETICS
BIO 347W GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY

Has anyone done this? How many biology classes should I take a semster? I am a Bio major.

I have taken at least 3 upper level bio classes per semester for the last 2 and will be again next semester. I don't see what the big deal is. Genetics is easy and it is only general micro. You will be fine, don't sweat it.

Current load:
microbiology & immunology
molecular genetics
recombinant dna
biochem lab 428
micro lab
and MCAT

The classes you have listed are not the hardest advanced bio classes, imho.

Make the 4th be an easy class to satisfy some stupid general requirement. The semester I took 2 400 level graduate microbiology classes I took german 102, the 2nd semester is the 100 level german language classes (which are for people just starting out in german)

Didn't do anything for the class and got an A

Easy because I had 5 years of german in high school:D

Ignore the ridiculous idealistic academia attitude about "take classes in other areas to better yourself and open your mind to the world and become more well rounded" bla bla bla

You have a hard semester, so balance it out with taking an easy class you already know the stuff for. I recommend taking the 100 level language class for the language you took in HS. It's pathetically easy!!

Maybe I'm bucking the trend here, but why not bite off a little more than you can, and see if you can get it down anyway? I mean, test your limits a bit, etc.? I realize this is completely against the pre-med dogma, but just a suggestion...
Anka

Sounds doable for most people (obligatory for most biology majors), just don't come back posting 'what happens if I get 3 Ds in one semester' or something like that.

Last year, I took 3 upper level bios and 2 upper level econ classes in one semester. My advisor told me I was crazy to try, but I did it anyway and did fine. I think it boils down to your own abilities and how much you feel you can handle. Advisors are there to advise, but not to make the decisions for you.

It is possible-- it just depends on how strong your work ethic is. I am currently taking Organic I, Physics II and Chem II-- this schedule is not for the faint of heart. Biology- particularly Anatomy, Genetics and Microbiology are memory intensive but not nearly as bad in terms of time as Organic or Physics. If one of the other posters was right about the C- and F, you may want to pause and take 2 of these classes and make sure that they are As so you can boost your sci GPA.

HELL IM GOOD AT BIOLOGY ITS THE CHEMISTRY THAT I DONT LIKE. ONE QUESTION IS THERE ANY MATH IN ANY OF THESE BIO CLASSES?