Haha. Good to see you say it outright.
I have no problem making that statement. Humans wouldn't have the societies they have without animals, so why do humans deserve to be treated with a higher level of dignity? Animals deserve dignity for their contributions, especially as welfare science advances and we have research showing how to improve quality of life.
It is not simply compassion but our limited compassion thereof which causes us to extinguish their lives early.
I disagree. I don't euthanize animals that potentially could be saved because they aren't worthy of the effort to save them. The number one reason is if they'll have a life worth living following treatment. The decision comes down to prognosis, quality of life after treatment, and finally finances.
A common case I see on ER is a senior large breed dog that has seemed "off" the last week or so. Then a few days ago, they stop eating and drinking, not wanting to get up. On presentation, pale gums, lethargic mentation, and a distended abdomen are clinical findings of major significance. Some of these kiddos can by tachycardic and/or tachypnic. I perform a TFAST/AFAST. Fluid present in all quadrants of the abdomen, and then a decent percentage have pericardial effusion. For a decent percentage of these guys, we can see the splenic or hepatic mass during our scan.
Next steps diagnostically: full abdominal ultrasound, blood transfusion, fluid therapy, cbc/chem, and surgery to remove what is hopefully just a splenic mass with close assessment of the liver for any other nodules/masses. If present, biopsy. Histopath of the mass(es).
Next steps practically: statistically, the most likely issue here is hemangiosarcoma, which has a MST of 3-6 months following surgery and with chemo according to AAHA guidelines. The question becomes is surgery and chemo (and all the adjacent shenanigans) worthwhile *for the dog*? Its such a personal question rooted exclusively in compassion and dignity for the dog. This week at my hospital, we've had two dogs go to surgery and one sent home for at-home euthanasia. None of those decisions were wrong and *they were all rooted in compassion and dignity for the dogs*.
I highly encourage you to spend time with the emergency and critical care service of your local veterinary referral center to truly see the perspective I'm trying to describe. If someone has never made the decision to recommend euthanasia as a viable treatment option, it's hard to conceptualize the reasoning behind it.
And, honestly, I think having that connection between vet med and human med is very important as human medicine introduces euthanasia as a service.
I'll also repeat that euthanizing something does not inherently decrease the level of dignity it is being afforded. I'm not really seeing your argument on how euthanizing something is showing it a poor level of dignity, or why trying every last-ditch treatment option does convey dignity.