Should I accept this research assistanship with my professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raptor

Found one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done research with my professor my freshman year and after not doing any research with him my sophomore year, he asked me if I want to work for him as his research assistant. I will also be working at the hospital and taking upper level science classes, as well as preparing for the MCAT. Should I take this position or is it just a waste of time? Thanks for the advice yall.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think research is a waste of time; the experience is great, plus it'll look good on your CV. If you are worried about having enough time to study, maybe you could commit to research only on a part-time basis? I dunno... I just think the opportunity is to excellent to pass up, especially considering that you are established with this guy and know what you are getting into to.

Just my ramblings ... :p

C.

It sounds like a great opportunity but I would explain to him that you are studying for the MCAT and impress on him that you will need to have a lot of flexibility in your schedule and that you may have to take some times off (a few days) before the MCAT. I work full time doing research but we have the agreement that sometimes I have to have a flexible schedule. My PI actually told me to take off the day before an exam or when a big assignment is due although I haven't had to yet (but it's great knowing that I can if I need to). As long as he is able to work around your needs then I would take the opportunity to get more experience. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your mentor (PI) and be clear of what this person expects from you... also make sure that this prof. knows you will be tight with time (maybe a part time position would be great)... It is definitely do-able and very time consuming... but if everything works for you it will work out grat in the end! GOOD LUCK
-DD-

Thanks future doctors on the great advice.

Raptor:
I was in a very similar situation. I was offered to do research in a neurobiology lab starting spring semester, but after explaining my situation next semester: working at hospital, 16 hour course load, studying for MCAT,... my prof basically said forget it. He said that doing research is a full time commitment, and that basically if you cant be 100% commited then forget it. Ask your prof about the time commitment involved before you commit.
j-rod

I disagree with most of the posters here. While the opportunity sounds great, I think that you have too much on your plate. Studing for the MCAT alone is much more important than the research opportunity, plus you must keep your grades up. I am a strong advocate of research experience, but I think that it would be better to concentrate on other things until the summer. If the PI is unable to hire you after the MCAT, there are others that can offer research positions. This is not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.