Should I add a non-academic transcript to my optometry application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rxh172

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My transcript for my undergrad classes are pretty science-focused (graduating with majors in biology and microbiology) but I attended culinary school during a 15 month break between my first undergraduate institution and another one that I transferred to. If I do not include my culinary school transcript, I am afraid it may compromise my application by making it seem like I did nothing for 15 months (I know I can submit a supplementary explanation, but if I do that, I might as well include the transcript, right?). But I'm also afraid that if I include it, it may confuse the admissions staff (ie. why is she applying to optometry school if she went to culinary school?)
Should I include it or no?
 
I would say contact the admissions office of each school and ask whether they want it or not. Have them make a note in your file that you were indeed being productive in those 15 months. You may also want to briefly explain why you're pursuing optometry instead of culinary arts.