Medical Should I add a second major in biochemistry? (in my junior year of music degree)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an instrument performance major on full music scholarship at a public university thats around 12 - 18 on usnews ranking for public unis. It has a good science program. I was initially planning to complete all the premed required coursework at the same time I complete my music degree, but now I am thinking it might be better to add a second major? I find biochemistry research interesting, and I kind of crave to be at the advanced level it takes to contribute decently to the field (and get publications / research experience for med school admissions process). I didn't realize I COULD go to medical school until just before my junior year of uni. Since my freshman year of high school everyone (highschool academic counselor, teachers, parents, etc.) around me assumed I would study music because i was good at it and produced good results. I kind of had horse blinders on, like it was my only option. When I applied to conservatories / music schools I applied to a bunch of them, and one school for biology because I wanted to see if I could get in (with my mediocre hs grades because the only thing that mattered was practicing, and high ACT). I got in, but went to my state school so I could save money with my full scholarship and study my instrument (also an excellent professor for my instrument). So I continued assuming this was my entire life already set in stone, study music become musician / music professor. But I always have had an interest in science / health / and its research. I listen to a biochemists podcast every time an episode is released and love it. I also love how useful the field is.

Anyways Im just saying all of this to illustrate that I want an excellent education if I am to pursue medicine. I was accepted to music undergrads with "prestigious" reputations but turned down their offers for a better specific professor. so its important to me that if I am going into medicine that I go somewhere with excellent professors. This might come off weirdly, it's just important to me. I find that better professors make for a better education.. I'm sure it makes at least a bit of sense I desire this so much? Also I like two other things about being able to get into a better medical school:

1. More research opportunities
2. Better chance for matching (i'm interested in radiology)

So I guess I'm postulating whether I could give myself a better chance to get into a better medical school if I double major in biochemistry. I could get the research experience from the upper level courses, and in my gap year before medical school I could apply for more research with a biochemistry degree as opposed to a music degree. I want the best chance at excelling in medicine. My fixation with excellence has worked for me in music it is translating to medicine now, I don't want to be misdirected though.

My gpa is projected to be around 3.6 when I graduate. I didn't care about my grades at first, would skip class to practice, would not do homework so I could practice, then cram for exams and get As. So it would be higher if not for that. So I think I could raise my gpa with a second major as well. I'd like it to be above 3.6.. Also I'm female LGBT URM..

I hope none of this comes off as bragging I just wanted to provide as much information because I find my situation to be quite different. Ive tried googling a lotttt and nobody's situation is quite just like mine. What do you think?
Adcoms do not care about your major(s) or minor(s), only that you do well.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.