Should I add DO schools? Is it too late for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chzsux

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year in 2020-21 and was waitlisted at multiple schools and ultimately rejected. Here are my stats:

3.7/518
130 hours as a NICU cuddler, 100 hours as a medical assistant - I know that these hours aren't as great as some people but I was a very late pre-med (senior year) who kinda got screwed by the onset of COVID so these hours were added in pretty much 8 months
Shadowing - 180 hours in procedural/surgical specialties, 50 hours in primary care
700 service hours working with prisoners and underserved communities
150 hours of "gray area" volunteering at COVID testing and vaccination sites
leadership in 2 campus clubs, worked as a resident adviser in the dorms for 2.5 years
1000s of research hours, 1 year of full-time research work in basic science (1 poster, 1 paper currently under review)
resident of a mid-atlantic state, graduated from a top 10 non-ivy

I applied to 50-55 schools this cycle and have already had 3 interviews - Tulane (early September), Rochester (early September), USF SELECT (mid September). All my friends have told me that I'm insane for even thinking about adding DO schools, especially since I don't have a DO letter or have even shadowed a DO. But my self-confidence has really been shaken by last cycle and even though everything about my app is better, especially my writing and interviewing, I can't help but feel like all 3 interviews will turn into duds even though I think they all went pretty well. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When do the three schools you have interviewed at start sending out acceptances?
Three complete interviews in September is excellent, unless you are a horrible interviewer. How many interviews did you have last year? How did they turn out (R or WL?)? I think your application is most likely fine and it’s your interviewing skills that’s causing you problems. And applying DO won’t fix that. Hopefully you’ll get good news soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do the three schools you have interviewed at start sending out acceptances?
Three complete interviews in September is excellent, unless you are a horrible interviewer. How many interviews did you have last year? How did they turn out (R or WL?)? I think your application is most likely fine and it’s your interviewing skills that’s causing you problems. And applying DO won’t fix that. Hopefully you’ll get good news soon.
Had 5 interviews last year. 1 in September, 2 in February, 1 in March, 1 in April. All resulted in WL -> R. I did a lot of mock interviews and got good reactions to my interviewing skills/demeanor but I think having very lacking clinical experiences meant that I was unable to answer a lot of questions like "why medicine" properly. This cycle I improved my writing a ton and used a formal applicant consultant who specializes in interviews and practiced a ton.

I hear back from Rochester pretty much around 10/15. USF should be around late October - early November. Tulane I have really no idea when I'm gonna hear back because they're recovering from the hurricane and apparently don't review post-interview apps chronologically.

50-55 schools????? That's insane!

It's too early to panic. Add DO schools if you get no MD love by Tgiving.
Yeah, I did so many schools because I have no self-confidence after last cycle and I don't wanna retake my MCAT.

Yeah, I did so many schools because I have no self-confidence after last cycle and I don't wanna retake my MCAT.
That lack of self-confidence might show in interviews. You are your best advocate. You put in the work, so don’t sell yourself short by not being confident in yourself. Things didn’t go well last cycle, but you’ve grown from last cycle. Show it off! You’ll do great!

That lack of self-confidence might show in interviews. You are your best advocate. You put in the work, so don’t sell yourself short by not being confident in yourself. Things didn’t go well last cycle, but you’ve grown from last cycle. Show it off! You’ll do great!
Thanks, I've definitely been working on my interview skills. Luckily, all 3 interviews were pretty conversational and I feel like I was really able to connect with my interviewers!

Reactions: 1 user