Should I Appeal for A C to A B In College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gn1995

Reaction score
I am only in my 3rd semester of college ( I am currently in Spring right now), but last semester (Winter, which was from January 7th to February 14th) I received a C in the easiest class, Interpersonal Communications. Ironically I received an A in Psychology. I could have gotten a B had I showed up the last 2 days for a group presentation. I asked her about the C, but she told me she told everyone that they will lose participation points if we did not show up. I do not remember this at all. Long story short, I told her that my grandmother past mid December (it happened at school I had to leave home early to go see my mother and comfort her) and her funeral was January 31st. Besides her funeral, my brother also got arrested for the first time during this month. I had/have to deal with my grandmother's death (I was very close to her, she was the sweetest person in my awful ass family), brother's arrest. It was a lot. I swear I did not remember her saying that, but if I go for a grade appeal I DO NOT want to mention that and get my professor in trouble she's really nice. Anyway, I was out of it heavily in December and January. I am getting better now, but I'm still dealing with my grandmother's loss. The participation points gave me a C. I did however KILL my final I got an 88%. I am wondering if I appeal for a B could I win. Also no I am not a grade grubber, I always get good grades to avoid situations like that. But I did not feel like going to class everyday (I usually do not mind attending class), but last Winter I just did not feel like going (I still did majority of the time). So bottom-line I could have gotten a B had I not missed the 2 days. What's weird though is I had participation points for 2 days, which gave me 20 points. But when I missed those 2 days for presentation (which were for other groups) I lose the 20 points which resulted in a C.

I am also in a rock and a hard place. One, I wonder if I can even get an appeal. I am at a community college (I plan to transfer of course) and they claim that you can appeal if you have a D and below, which I find to be ridiculous because for a 3.5 GPA getting a C is a bit of a hit. I am very interested in medicine and it just sucks that 2 participation days that were mandatory (she must have mentioned it when I wasn't there) for another group (again I had already done my group presentation) brought my grade to a C. And I know retaking a class looks bad.

I'm all over the place, sorry about that. But, should I appeal even though my school claims that only D's, F's and etc can appeal? The same professor I got a C in, said I should try to appeal. What do you guys think? I have NEVER received C's in my life so it sucks that I got a C in an easy class because of participation. I was so ready to be done with winter which is why I did not attend the other classes. But again I do not remember her mentioning it being mandatory. I don't think it was on her syllabus either. It just sucks. I feel like because I have A's and B's I could win. I mean I don't know. Winter was just tough for me. It's still tough for me, but I am getting better so.

Members don't see this ad.

Also I apologize for my sentences being extremely crappy, I am in a rush. So, please bare with my thread, thank you hahaha. I do have an A in English. Though I have to take English 1B which looks like a pain in the ass. I think we have to write a (or multiple) 10,000 page essays, which I am not looking forward to. Thank God the class is only for a little over a month.

I am only in my 3rd semester of college ( I am currently in Spring right now), but last semester (Winter, which was from January 7th to February 14th) I received a C in the easiest class, Interpersonal Communications. Ironically I received an A in Psychology. I could have gotten a B had I showed up the last 2 days for a group presentation. I asked her about the C, but she told me she told everyone that they will lose participation points if we did not show up. I do not remember this at all. Long story short, I told her that my grandmother past mid December (it happened at school I had to leave home early to go see my mother and comfort her) and her funeral was January 31st. Besides her funeral, my brother also got arrested for the first time during this month. I had/have to deal with my grandmother's death (I was very close to her, she was the sweetest person in my awful ass family), brother's arrest. It was a lot. I swear I did not remember her saying that, but if I go for a grade appeal I DO NOT want to mention that and get my professor in trouble she's really nice. Anyway, I was out of it heavily in December and January. I am getting better now, but I'm still dealing with my grandmother's loss. The participation points gave me a C. I did however KILL my final I got an 88%. I am wondering if I appeal for a B could I win. Also no I am not a grade grubber, I always get good grades to avoid situations like that. But I did not feel like going to class everyday (I usually do not mind attending class), but last Winter I just did not feel like going (I still did majority of the time). So bottom-line I could have gotten a B had I not missed the 2 days. What's weird though is I had participation points for 2 days, which gave me 20 points. But when I missed those 2 days for presentation (which were for other groups) I lose the 20 points which resulted in a C.

I am also in a rock and a hard place. One, I wonder if I can even get an appeal. I am at a community college (I plan to transfer of course) and they claim that you can appeal if you have a D and below, which I find to be ridiculous because for a 3.5 GPA getting a C is a bit of a hit. I am very interested in medicine and it just sucks that 2 participation days that were mandatory (she must have mentioned it when I wasn't there) for another group (again I had already done my group presentation) brought my grade to a C. And I know retaking a class looks bad.

I'm all over the place, sorry about that. But, should I appeal even though my school claims that only D's, F's and etc can appeal? The same professor I got a C in, said I should try to appeal. What do you guys think? I have NEVER received C's in my life so it sucks that I got a C in an easy class because of participation. I was so ready to be done with winter which is why I did not attend the other classes. But again I do not remember her mentioning it being mandatory. I don't think it was on her syllabus either. It just sucks. I feel like because I have A's and B's I could win. I mean I don't know. Winter was just tough for me. It's still tough for me, but I am getting better so.

I personally don't think you have grounds to appeal. The professor laid out expectations, which you failed to meet, and applied those epectations evenly and fairly to everyone in the class. I think it would be a waste of your time. Move forward and look towards the future.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Very sorry for all your troubles, but let it go and just do better in your next course

a single C is not going to kill you. In fact, an F in the course will not kill your chances for medical school

Reactions: 1 users