Should I apply based on my Lizzy-M score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahmadi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Lizzy-M score of 74, but there are some inconsistencies in my scores. I have a 3.5 GPA, which isnt great. . . but i got a 38Q on my MCATS (10V 14P 14B). I like my Lizzy-M score, but im worried about whether it looks bad that i have a low end GPA paired with a high end MCAT score. Even my MCATS were inconsistent with really high physics and bio scores and a mediocre verbal score.

So my question is whether I should really expect to have a good chance with schools that have a Lizzy-M score of 74 or if my low GPA and Verbal Score will disqualify me from those schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I also want to point out that I am a biomedical engineering major, which is why my GPA is a little lower than it could have been. Would medical schools care about my major?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Lizzy-M score of 74, but there are some inconsistencies in my scores. I have a 3.5 GPA, which isnt great. . . but i got a 38Q on my MCATS (10V 14P 14B). I like my Lizzy-M score, but im worried about whether it looks bad that i have a low end GPA paired with a high end MCAT score. Even my MCATS were inconsistent with really high physics and bio scores and a mediocre verbal score.

So my question is whether I should really expect to have a good chance with schools that have a Lizzy-M score of 74 or if my low GPA and Verbal Score will disqualify me from those schools.

as long as you have the ECs....I think you have an excellent shot. Your MCAT breakdown is fine and the 3.5 bioeng GPA is okay. What is your sGPA?

Using the MSAR data, you can keep an eye on the bottom 10th percentile for GPA and MCAT subscores for top schools and figure if you're below them, you may not want to apply to those schools to save money. Even so, you can still keep several dream schools on your list, as you can never know if your ECs might be so appealing that they can't pass you up.

Keep in mind that success at top schools is more likely if your application reflects that you are special in some way, as such schools expect to train future leaders in medical education, research, leadership, community service, and clinical excellence. Lightweight ECs will probably result in your going to a less-selective school.

Last edited:
This might sound like a broken record, but it is the most simple advice that many just don't seem to follow:

APPLY BROADLY. Guarantee acceptance by applying to a good number of middle/lower tier schools and then apply to a bunch of reaches (more so than most people because of your MCAT). This way you're highly likely to get some sort of acceptance and you also give yourself the best chance at getting in at a reach.

Bear in mind that you have the best MCAT possible to be paired with that GPA. So apply broadly to all the schools you'd like to attend and you'll be fine.

I have heard that a low verbal score paired with high biology and physics scores on the MCAT looks bad. I didnt do terribly on the verbal section (10), but it's definitely not as high as the science sections (14 & 14). Does that low-verbal rule only apply if you did really bad on the verbal section, or does it still hurt you if it's not quite as high as the other sections? Would medical schools see the high science scores as a plus, or would it look like a huge minus that my verbal isnt up to par?

I have heard that as long as all the subscores are in the double digits, you have a shot. Four top schools list a 10 as their bottom 10th percentile in verbal, the rest being 9s. None are higher. At least the top 25 schools have an 11 or 12 as their median for verbal. Most of the top 25 have a 14 for their top 90th percentile in BS and PS and a 13for VS.

There are BTW, 12 schools among the top 25 with bottom 10th percentile for cGPA at or below 3.5.

I have heard that a low verbal score paired with high biology and physics scores on the MCAT looks bad. I didnt do terribly on the verbal section (10), but it's definitely not as high as the science sections (14 & 14). Does that low-verbal rule only apply if you did really bad on the verbal section, or does it still hurt you if it's not quite as high as the other sections? Would medical schools see the high science scores as a plus, or would it look like a huge minus that my verbal isnt up to par?

You really shouldn't be worried about your MCAT. You have a great score but your GPA is :thumbdown:. There are a lot of students with 3.8+ and 33+ Stats applying to top schools, so you need outstanding ECs to stand out. The best bet is to apply broadly. BTW your LizzyM score is a 73 not 74 (35 + 38= 73) But really the score is meaningless.

I've seen the LizzyM formula written both with and without the +1 factor.

AFAIK, it's typically written written w/o the "+1 factor." Where you might have seen it w/ 1 added is in the school selection spreadsheet, where the +1 factor is only applied to the user, giving the user a slight advantage compared to the schools to which s/he is being compared. From what I can gather, it is simply a way of ensuring that avg applicants at each school are given good results for their schools.

But honestly, the score's [exact] value is basically meaningless, as it is nothing more than an estimation of how you might stand in terms of GPA and MCAT score against various schools.

Btw, OP, I'd suggest you check out the school selection spreadsheet while it's still available.

your mcat is good. nothing to worry about.
worry about your ECs and pulling the gpa up (if its still possible)

yo dog, just apply to a lot of schools, and i believe you'll get in somewhere.