Should I apply for 2009????? PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD316

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok I have been stressing SERIOUSLY trying to decide hopefully some valuable feedback will help ok...
I am planning on applying to Pharm School this year for the fall of 2009 I have recently received my BS in pharma mrkting ... i took alot of the core humanities requirements for many of the pharm schools, which i did OK but not that great. My undergrad gpa was less than a 2.5. I am primarily missing all the sciences. Rt now I'm tking gen phys 1 and chem 2 and I've completed chem 2 bio 1 and calculus...currently my gpa is a 3.5 I am hoping to get it higher I dont think I will have orgo 2 nor Phy 2 completed by the end of spr 09...will they have trouble giving me a adequate gpa scoring with those two major science classes still in progress...Should I just wait until 2010

Also: I will be starting Kaplan in a few months to prepare me for the PCAT do you think that i should wait to take the PCAT after completing Orgo 1 of will I be safe with the help of Kaplan?

Members don't see this ad.

ok I have been stressing SERIOUSLY trying to decide hopefully some valuable feedback will help ok...
I am planning on applying to Pharm School this year for the fall of 2009 I have recently received my BS in pharma mrkting ... i took alot of the core humanities requirements for many of the pharm schools, which i did OK but not that great. My undergrad gpa was less than a 2.5. I am primarily missing all the sciences. Rt now I'm tking gen phys 1 and chem 2 and I've completed chem 2 bio 1 and calculus...currently my gpa is a 3.5 I am hoping to get it higher I dont think I will have orgo 2 nor Phy 2 completed by the end of spr 09...will they have trouble giving me a adequate gpa scoring with those two major science classes still in progress...Should I just wait until 2010

Also: I will be starting Kaplan in a few months to prepare me for the PCAT do you think that i should wait to take the PCAT after completing Orgo 1 of will I be safe with the help of Kaplan?

If you can't complete them by the spring of next year, how are you going to apply ? A lot of schools require that you complete your pre-reqs by the end of spring semester before you start pharm school.

when you take into account all of your completed units, what is your OVERALL, TOTAL gpa? if it's under 2.5 or around that number then i have to say that you have no chance, regardless of how well you do on your PCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
my gpa will def not be under a 2.5 that was what I had in Undergrad for my marketing courses and the humanities classes (that I will attempt to transfer )for the most part I had mostly b's and c's...right now my gpa is at 3.5 and I still have more than have of the sciences to get through... i dont knw how they will factor in those philosphy, history, etc. classes that I took in undergrad but my concern was with the two main classes possibly not being completed by sprg 09 and how much it will weigh in on my application...and if i would have less of a chance of getting accepted??

most schools that I've researched (and I've done a ton) dont necessarily require for your pre reqs to be completed until the end of the summer before you start so I would have the summer to complete them but I am trying to work some things out so that I can have them completed by Spr 09....things are soo much more difficult when you work full time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely try to complete ochem 2 and physics 2 by spring '09. I think a lot of schools accept pre-reqs completed before fall '09, but those are really hard classes to be taking in the summer... it's hard enough taking them during a regular 16-week semester.

I think we're all a little confused with your gpa... 2.5 and 3.5 is a huge difference, and mostly B's and C's... I would think you'd have a lower gpa than 3.5 but whatever, you should know what your gpa is... if you say it's 3.5, then it's 3.5. You should get accepted to a few schools with that good of a gpa. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that you don't know if you'll have an adequate gpa scoring with two major science courses in progress? The school will just calculate your gpa with what you've already completed.

I never took the Kaplan course so I can't say much on it... maybe you can use the search function in the pcat section. I'm sure that question has been asked a million times.

my gpa will def not be under a 2.5 that was what I had in Undergrad for my marketing courses and the humanities classes (that I will attempt to transfer )for the most part I had mostly b's and c's...right now my gpa is at 3.5 and I still have more than have of the sciences to get through... i dont knw how they will factor in those philosphy, history, etc. classes that I took in undergrad but my concern was with the two main classes possibly not being completed by sprg 09 and how much it will weigh in on my application...and if i would have less of a chance of getting accepted??

most schools that I've researched (and I've done a ton) dont necessarily require for your pre reqs to be completed until the end of the summer before you start so I would have the summer to complete them but I am trying to work some things out so that I can have them completed by Spr 09....things are soo much more difficult when you work full time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since your degree is recent, your 2.9 GPA or 2.5 ( I am not clear) will be taken into account when calculating your overall GPA. So the 3.5 you have now will most likely be lowered.

I apologize if I am being unclear... I ended with a 2.5 for my BS in Marketing degree last year. I am now taking the science and math requirements that I did not take in undergrad I've only taken CHem 1, Bio 1 and Calculus ...I am taking these classes at a community college I attended a little over 5 yrs ago where I took a few classes for a year and then dropped. my current cum gpa is a 3.5 with all of that taken into account. As I said before I still have a bulk of my sciences that I have to take... I'm taking Phy and CHem 2 this summer...

yea ur right orgo 2 and phy2 in the summer def cant be an option... I wont be doing that I was trying to see if there was any way i could push my chem 2 class to the fall instead of this summer which would have pushed my orgo's to sprg and summ 09 but I see thats not an option (I booked a vacation last yr that is already paid for and its the second wk of classes so I may lose out on that $ :( b/c i have classes) I dont want to risk me not being able to start school in time

I'm in a similar position. I'm planning to take gen chem 1 and 2 over the summer then orgo and physics courses over fall and spring. Even though I wont have my history and lit electioves done, would i be able to apply for fall 2009? if so, do i register for pharmcas now? (it seems so early).

I'm in a similar position. I'm planning to take gen chem 1 and 2 over the summer then orgo and physics courses over fall and spring. Even though I wont have my history and lit electioves done, would i be able to apply for fall 2009? if so, do i register for pharmcas now? (it seems so early).

As long as those electives are not required pre-reqs I don't see why you can't apply. You have to have all your pre-reqs done by the time you start school in Fall 09 otherwise what is the point of them being pre-requisites. If all your pre-reqs will be done, then you should definitely apply.

Don't waste your time and money going into a Kaplan course. They teach you very little about the material in the PCAT, and just teach you about the PCAT.

What you would learn from them about the PCAT, you could easily learn by doing a Google search or reading the first few pages of any PCAT Prep Book.

I'd say that you should buy as many PCAT books as you can and just fight your way through the problems.

So your GPA of 3.5 is ALL of your grades you have ever received from any college/university in the last 5 or so years? If you had a 2.5 with your degree, 120 credits, and you've only taken a few courses recently, i dont think you are at a 3.5 now. Pharmcas takes all of your grades you have at any schools you attended. If you try omitting schools/transcripts, they will find out.

I recommend you take Ochem I and II, as well as Chem I and II before PCAT. Ochem I was harder in my opinion. I heard PCAT was not all that worth it either, although, you get what you put into it.

So basically you might be on track for getting into school for 2010. I think you should take your time with classes instead of rushing your way through. Pharm school isn't gonna disappear before you get your best opportunity to be accepted. Best of luck