SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Should I wait to apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Chizzle Frizzle, Sep 8, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Chizzle Frizzle

Chizzle Frizzle

Jun 1, 2016
    I think I posted this in the wrong forum before. Here it goes:

I've just received a job offer from a pharmacy to be a tech but i haven't started yet. I was wondering if I should wait to apply until after I've gotten ~2 weeks of experience so that it goes on my PharmCAS (which would realistically mean I apply at the end of September) or if I should apply now with my stats:

GPA: 3.76
    PCAT: 91st percentile
    Volunteering: 200+ hours with Habitat for Humanity, the Health Services on my Campus and so on...
    Shadowing: I shadowed a doctor for ~150 hours back when I was pre-med (does that count for health-related experience?)

My dream school (UGA)'s deadline is December 1st and I don't want to apply to close to the deadline (I couldn't find out if it was rolling admissions or not) because of the time it takes PharmCAS to verify my info, plus LORs and others. But at the same time, I know how invaluable actual pharmacy experience is to adcoms.

Would it be worth it to wait? Or could I just put a future start date and hope the adcoms accept it? Does PharmCAS even allow you to put future start dates?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. oregonian19

oregonian19

May 12, 2017
    Your application, as-is, is fairly competitive.

Personally, what I would do is prepare everything and submit your applications. I do agree that pharmacy experience would be beneficial, but you can ADD experiences after your application is submitted and designate the job as ongoing.

If you do this, you have the advantage of getting the application in far before the deadline and will still be able to add the pharmacy experience to your application. I think you're more than worthy of an interview and you will hopefully have enough experience for a lively discussion at the interview.

Hope that helps!

Abby Atwood likes this.
  4. TINASHE

TINASHE

Aug 15, 2017
    I would say go for it, apply now. With your stats you are already good to go even without pharm tech experience. You can explain more on your application and during the interview. And it also depends on which schools you are planning to apply to, if you are aiming for the best of the best school I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Abby Atwood likes this.