Should I apply or wait for scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedStudent28

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, here is my story. I failed my Step 1 the first time, passed the second time. I failed my Step 2 the first time and the second time, and at this point I am scheduled to write the exam in January. I have applied for Family Medicine...no interviews yet, and just recently decided to apply for OB/GYN. I have always been passionate about the field just never pursued this field until now. Here is my question, should I apply right now without having my results, and let the programs know that I am interested? (I am not expecting any interviews, but by applying now I am hoping to just let them know that I am interested and in case they have a spot available during scramble that they would perhaps consider me, once I passed my step 2) OR should I wait until I pass this step 2 exam, and see what programs are available during scramble and apply then? PLEASE HELP! I know it is a more competitive program, would you say I have any chances of getting in?

Any advice will be great! THANKS!
 
Hi everyone, here is my story. I failed my Step 1 the first time, passed the second time. I failed my Step 2 the first time and the second time, and at this point I am scheduled to write the exam in January. I have applied for Family Medicine...no interviews yet, and just recently decided to apply for OB/GYN. I have always been passionate about the field just never pursued this field until now. Here is my question, should I apply right now without having my results, and let the programs know that I am interested? (I am not expecting any interviews, but by applying now I am hoping to just let them know that I am interested and in case they have a spot available during scramble that they would perhaps consider me, once I passed my step 2) OR should I wait until I pass this step 2 exam, and see what programs are available during scramble and apply then? PLEASE HELP! I know it is a more competitive program, would you say I have any chances of getting in?

Any advice will be great! THANKS!
Hi MS- I read this a few days ago and saw that no one has responded. I didn't want to make you feel ignored but you are in a difficult situation. As I'm sure you known, to have such problems with the steps and then to be a late applicant puts you in a not so good position. So I would let money guide you. Take a look at programs that traditionally dont receive a lot of apps and programs that traditionally haven't filled-- apply like crazy. These may not be the best programs ever, but at least you'll get a chance to do what you want. Also, did you graduate from school in the US? I don't want to be flamed for this but I know that there are some programs that are largely IMGs, that might be more receptive to AMGs. Not saying that they are worse physicians but I think that if faced with an IMG vs. an AMG with slightly less competative credentials, PDs would go with the AMG. At any rate, I wish you the best of luck!
 
Hi MeganRose, thank you for replying! I appreciate your imput. I wanted to let you know that I am an IMG, so that would probably decrease my chances even more. I have a feeling that applying will be a waste of money; I have to pass this exam, and hope that scramble will have something to offer. Although I might take your advice and check out programs that are not always filled. Would you mind letting me know how I can find such info? FRIEDA? Thanks again!