MD Should I apply this cycle or wait a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr-dookie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, I've posted on here before to get a school list, but with the pandemic that is occurring right now, my job as a medical scribe has been suspended for the time being. I am concerned that if I am not able to resume getting scribe hours, that I would not have enough clinical experience to be competitive at the schools I am planning on applying to. Here are my stats:
  1. cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.77
  2. MCAT: 521 (130/130/129/132)
  3. State of residence: OR
  4. White ORM
  5. Undergrad: State school (currently a senior
  6. Clinical experience: 115 hours at a children's hospital, 160 hours Family Med Scribe with >1000 projected
  7. Research: Will be about 300 between 2 labs with 2 posters and 1 honors thesis
  8. Shadowing: 24 hours ortho, 9 anesthesia, 8 family med
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours Special Olympics coach, 150 hours frat philanthropy/volunteering, 50 hours talking to low SES kids about college, 25 on a non-profit board of directors
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 500 hours as Scholarship and Recruitment chair for fraternity, IM sports all 4 years
  11. Employment: 1000 hours as a Student Ambassador for the psych department
Schools: OHSU (in-state), Columbia, Duke, UCSF, UChicago, WashU, Case, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Northwestern, UCLA, Pitt, Vandy, Cornell, Einstein, Boston, Emory, Hofstra, Ohio State, Rochester, USC, UVA, Cincy, USF, Western Mi, Kaiser, Tufts

I was planning on having 400 scribe hours completed before June, but now if I am not allowed to work until the summer I will only have 160 hours to put on my application. Should I wait another year, or is the potential difference in hours not really a big deal? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The potential difference in hours is not a big deal. You're competitive. Apply this cycle if you feel prepared

Reactions: 1 user
Forgive me, I've posted on here before to get a school list, but with the pandemic that is occurring right now, my job as a medical scribe has been suspended for the time being. I am concerned that if I am not able to resume getting scribe hours, that I would not have enough clinical experience to be competitive at the schools I am planning on applying to. Here are my stats:
  1. cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.77
  2. MCAT: 521 (130/130/129/132)
  3. State of residence: OR
  4. White ORM
  5. Undergrad: State school (currently a senior
  6. Clinical experience: 115 hours at a children's hospital, 160 hours Family Med Scribe with >1000 projected
  7. Research: Will be about 300 between 2 labs with 2 posters and 1 honors thesis
  8. Shadowing: 24 hours ortho, 9 anesthesia, 8 family med
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours Special Olympics coach, 150 hours frat philanthropy/volunteering, 50 hours talking to low SES kids about college, 25 on a non-profit board of directors
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 500 hours as Scholarship and Recruitment chair for fraternity, IM sports all 4 years
  11. Employment: 1000 hours as a Student Ambassador for the psych department
Schools: OHSU (in-state), Columbia, Duke, UCSF, UChicago, WashU, Case, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Northwestern, UCLA, Pitt, Vandy, Cornell, Einstein, Boston, Emory, Hofstra, Ohio State, Rochester, USC, UVA, Cincy, USF, Western Mi, Kaiser, Tufts

I was planning on having 400 scribe hours completed before June, but now if I am not allowed to work until the summer I will only have 160 hours to put on my application. Should I wait another year, or is the potential difference in hours not really a big deal? Thanks.
Yes, what you have is fine and worth a shot.