Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamstressedugh

Reaction score
I just got my scores back and I got a 507 (127/124/127/129). I'm pretty annoyed because I've never done below a 127 on CARS so I'm not too sure what happened. I have no problem applying to DO but I just want to know if I should even consider MD.

cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.85

All of my EC's are good, shadowing hours, volunteer (clinical and non-clinical) good, research hours are good (by good I mean i've either met or are above all of the averages)

I have a personal training certification and have had multiple leadership positions.

Good letters of recommendation (but lacking 2 sciences so I only have 1 science LOR BUT I do have a committee letter)

Members don't see this ad.

Does your home state have MD options? Those might be your best bet. Otherwise you'll have to shotgun your app out to private schools OOS.

Be careful with the DO schools that you apply to. Most of them don't have their own hospital and are very expensive :/

Shouldn't be a problem for DO schools and maybe a few MD programs. Also, do you have a good life story? How are your personal statements and secondaries going? Stats don't mean everything, when almost all schools look at you holistically as a human being. If you have a memorable application, then it will certainly help you distinguish yourself from others. I also don't think it's a bad idea to retake the MCAT and apply next cycle because medical schools aren't going anywhere while you improve your application.

Does your home state have MD options? Those might be your best bet. Otherwise you'll have to shotgun your app out to private schools OOS.

Be careful with the DO schools that you apply to. Most of them don't have their own hospital and are very expensive :/

I understand private schools because they get to pick and choose more of who they accept, but could you explain your reasoning behind this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't be a problem for DO schools and maybe a few MD programs. Also, do you have a good life story? How are your personal statements and secondaries going? Stats don't mean everything, when almost all schools look at you holistically as a human being. If you have a memorable application, then it will certainly help you distinguish yourself from others. I also don't think it's a bad idea to retake the MCAT and apply next cycle because medical schools aren't going anywhere while you improve your application.

Yea my personal statement is considered really good (very well written and emotional but mature) and I processed my application to one school but haven't applied further because I was waiting for my score. I just graduated from university so I was hoping to get in this cycle so I didn't have to wait for the next one, although it seems like that might be the case. Thanks for the reply!