July 15 MCAT for this application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veganmemphis

Reaction score
Is July 15 too late to take the MCAT for this application cycle? Originally plan to take it April 29 but kept scoring <490 on practice exams.

Members don't see this ad.

You are putting yourself at a disadvantage in two ways, an MCAT result in August (you won't even know where to apply until then!) and potentially a score inconsistent with success.
Was the <490 on a third party resource or a AAMC FL?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you really zone-in and start studying, you may be able to go for a 510+ with serious dedicated time, but if it doesn't improve by late May, mid-June by a significant amount, you may have to take a gap year.

You should also consider DO schools as well, on top of the original MD application cycle.

I am currently working 40hrs/week but planning to spend May and June studying full time, hopefully that will help bring my score up. Thank you! I am planning to apply to DO schools as well.

I believe that's a solid plan and should lead a successful cycle. Although you may be submitting later and being at a disadvantage, regardless, best of luck to you!

I have 2 full length left.
Don't waste them!
They are the best predictor of the actual outcome.

If you scored <490 recently, you are no where near being ready for the real thing.
All scores remain on the AMCAS application...forever. No matter what the website says, individuals at any school may simply decide that the risk is too high with an application showing a very low score. It's not like the gpa where trend is a thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't waste them!
They are the best predictor of the actual outcome.

If you scored <490 recently, you are no where near being ready for the real thing.
All scores remain on the AMCAS application...forever. No matter what the website says, individuals at any school may simply decide that the risk is too high with an application showing a very low score. It's not like the gpa where trend is a thing.
Is july mcat too late?

Is july mcat too late?
It depends.
A strong score in an otherwise excellent application from a resident of a favorable state that is also applying DO can work.
Note the number of variables here (and I've only mentioned a few).