Should I apply to a SMP or take a shot at DO? Really need feedback on where to go from here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelydan

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to graduate this spring and decided to check my amcas/aacomas gpa. I have a 3.6 cumulative gpa at my institution, but when I checked my amcas/aacomas gpa I ended up with a 3.27. My BCPM was a 3.6. I have a strong upward trend and A's in pretty much every upper division science class. MCAT is a 505. EC's are decent. I was planning on applying to mostly DO schools, but now I feel like I need to go address my gpa. I'm open to doing an SMP if needed. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated, especially from @Goro.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting ready to graduate this spring and decided to check my amcas/aacomas gpa. I have a 3.6 cumulative gpa at my institution, but when I checked my amcas/aacomas gpa I ended up with a 3.27. My BCPM was a 3.6. I have a strong upward trend and A's in pretty much every upper division science class. MCAT is a 505. EC's are decent. I was planning on applying to mostly DO schools, but now I feel like I need to go address my gpa. I'm open to doing an SMP if needed. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated, especially from @Goro.
You're fine for any DO school!

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, so a long time ago, I was in college and I had a low GPA and an old mcat of 24. My college pre-med advisor told me to apply DO bc there was no way I would improve my mcat and my GPA. I didn't listen to him, I retook the mcat a year and a half later and got a 509. I applied to medical school..... and didn't get in (to MD or DO, despite having one MD and one DO interview). So then last year, I did an SMP, and did very well. I retook the MCAT again, and got a 514. I have not yet been accepted to medical school but I have heard from 5/35 schools so far and 3 of them have been interviews (all of which I haven't heard back from yet just because they all just happen to take a longish time to render decisions). Many of my friends who did the SMP with me are in the same boat (and many are already accepted). Also, I am expecting (hoping) to get an interview at the school where I did my SMP but I haven't heard from them yet so I may soon have 4 interviews. I fully believe in SMPs and if you can buckle down and kick ass for a year you will greatly ameliorate your application as far as GPA and learn enough to kill the MCAT. (I did Tufts SMP by the way I highly highly suggest it, it was worth every penny and has opened so so so many doors for me I can't be any more grateful, even if they don't end up giving me an interview). Not to mention, when I applied before I had no idea what to write in my essays, talk about in my interviews, or what to even look for in a school but now I understand medicine and medical school so much better. I am much more confident as a student, and I know I will do so well in medical school. I have nothing against DO schools, but I feel like doing the SMP helped me grow as a student and a person so that I can be confident pursuing this career. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.