Should I apply to OMFS this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snmofficer

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I just thought to make a small forum where people who are unsure about what to do could ask and get advice regarding applying this cycle for OMFS.

I'm a rising D4 that is in the top 20% of my class and just got a 64 EPC on the July CBSE. What do you guys think my chances are? I would like to stay in the midwest if possible as I am from midwest. I would like to do a 6 year OMFS program if possible but I understand that my score limits me. Any advice would be appreciated!

ISTG if I see a single person with 75+ EPC asking about their chances.....
 
Hello everyone, I just thought to make a small forum where people who are unsure about what to do could ask and get advice regarding applying this cycle for OMFS.

I'm a rising D4 that is in the top 20% of my class and just got a 64 EPC on the July CBSE. What do you guys think my chances are? I would like to stay in the midwest if possible as I am from midwest. I would like to do a 6 year OMFS program if possible but I understand that my score limits me. Any advice would be appreciated!

ISTG if I see a single person with 75+ EPC asking about their chances.....

Your CBSE might not make the cutoff for a lot of 6 years, but you’d be sitting good for a lot of 4s. I’d apply broadly with a mix of both if you’re willing to go anywhere. I know at my school’s 6 years the cutoff is 70, and the lower scores taken are typically with a noncat. Tough thing is that most 6 year programs don’t have their cutoffs listed, that’s why people say aim for 70 EPC for 6s. But I’ve also heard that some 6 year programs have lowered the bar of entry a little bit due to the BBB situation and people not wanting to take out private loans for med school, especially those expensive private med school programs. This is all information I’ve been told and gathered myself btw, I’m applying this upcoming cycle too.

Im in the same boat. 66EPC and similar rank but I’m only shooting for 4s, might throw in one 6 year.
 
Hello everyone, I just thought to make a small forum where people who are unsure about what to do could ask and get advice regarding applying this cycle for OMFS.

I'm a rising D4 that is in the top 20% of my class and just got a 64 EPC on the July CBSE. What do you guys think my chances are? I would like to stay in the midwest if possible as I am from midwest. I would like to do a 6 year OMFS program if possible but I understand that my score limits me. Any advice would be appreciated!

ISTG if I see a single person with 75+ EPC asking about their chances.....
I would guess good odds. Will likely come down to externships, LOR, and connections and how well you interview but score and rank shouldn't hold you back much if at all. 64 is a solid score
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I keep hearing ppl talk about connections but what exactly do this mean? Are you referring to the your PD, residents, externship docs and the surgeon you shadow outside of school?
 
I keep hearing ppl talk about connections but what exactly do this mean? Are you referring to the your PD, residents, externship docs and the surgeon you shadow outside of school?
Yeah pretty much. Connections meaning from externships or your own program. I've heard there's some programs that you have a very high likelihood of getting at least an interview if you externed there and can match the stats. I've also heard that where you extern you have a lot higher chance of ending up there then a place you didn't extern. Stronger LOR's, More likely to get interviews with lower stats potentially, etc.
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone, I just thought to make a small forum where people who are unsure about what to do could ask and get advice regarding applying this cycle for OMFS.

I'm a rising D4 that is in the top 20% of my class and just got a 64 EPC on the July CBSE. What do you guys think my chances are? I would like to stay in the midwest if possible as I am from midwest. I would like to do a 6 year OMFS program if possible but I understand that my score limits me. Any advice would be appreciated!

ISTG if I see a single person with 75+ EPC asking about their chances.....
Decent score; can definitely get you into a 4-year, and you might be able to interview at some 6-year programs, but hard to know what their cutoffs are for med school. Apply broadly and see where it takes you