Should I apply to optometry (opinions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optom14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I would like to hear your opinions. I am applying to the Optometry 2014 cycle. I am planning on applying to ICO SCCO PCO and Western and maybe New England. I have written the OAT before but did not do so great although I studied so hard for it. I studied for two months and did a lot of practice tests from Crack the OAT (My lowest scores was in gen chem, physics, and quant). I really want to apply but scared that if I apply now, they will just put my application on hold and forget about it (I indicated that I will be taking the OAT in the next few months on the application). This is my last shot at the OAT and I do not know what to do differently to get a higher score. My GPA is about 3.10. I would really appreciate any input or advice.:(

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Well not knowing what your OAT scores are is very difficult to say. How are the other aspects of your application, such as extracurricular activities? IMO if you already have everything ready to apply, you mine as well try, because you may never know you might end up in your first year next fall.

I wrote it twice already unfortunately. My first was TS 270 and second time TS was 280. I feel like the scores don't even reflect how hard I studied :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Well not knowing what your OAT scores are is very difficult to say. How are the other aspects of your application, such as extracurricular activities? IMO if you already have everything ready to apply, you mine as well try, because you may never know you might end up in your first year next fall.

I forgot to mention that I already have a lot of extracurricular s and I also shadowed an optometrist and I work there a few hours a week too.

What do you mean forget about it? If you want to apply this cycle I would send in your app now and mark that you are retaking the OAT. It takes schools awhile to process your whole application, and read over everything. Plus most schools wait for official OAT score reports which usually take a few weeks to come in after you take your OAT. Waiting to apply only holds up this process. If you apply now some schools might want to interview you knowing that you were retaking the OAT. But I think the best advice is to call the admissions of the schools you want to apply to ask them their opinion. I would suggest sending the app though and really studying to improve your OAT score. Hope this helps!

Hello Everyone!

I would like to hear your opinions. I am applying to the Optometry 2014 cycle. I am planning on applying to ICO SCCO PCO and Western and maybe New England. I have written the OAT before but did not do so great although I studied so hard for it. I studied for two months and did a lot of practice tests from Crack the OAT (My lowest scores was in gen chem, physics, and quant). I really want to apply but scared that if I apply now, they will just put my application on hold and forget about it (I indicated that I will be taking the OAT in the next few months on the application). This is my last shot at the OAT and I do not know what to do differently to get a higher score. My GPA is about 3.10. I would really appreciate any input or advice.:(

Thanks in advance!

You should turn your stuff in now and put that you will retake the OAT like 02201992 said. It can't hurt. What I have done is contacted admissions directly, told them what my score was and bluntly asked "is there a chance I can get in with these scores or do I need to retake it?" They are all very helpful and honest. Many of them have actually said "don't take it quite yet, wait til we see the strength in scores for the incoming class and we will contact you by the end of Sep to let you know if you need to retake it." It is nerve racking a little bit but now my name is out there and they have looked at my application. It can't hurt so turn it in, wait a week and contact them! :)
Good luck!

Thanks everyone...I hope all the money does not go to waste because I don't know how I will do on the OAT...do ant of you have advice regarding the best way to study for the OAT?