Should I apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosdef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondering whether I should consider applying since, I got a 30M on the MCAT with a 13BS, 11PS and "6 VR" :mad: This is the second time I have taken the MCAT and I also got a 6 on the VR the first time. My GPA at UCLA is a 3.97 and I feel I have all the extracurriculars, so please help with some advice. THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

mosdef said:
I wondering whether I should consider applying since, I got a 30M on the MCAT with a 13BS, 11PS and "6 VR" :mad: This is the second time I have taken the MCAT and I also got a 6 on the VR the first time. My GPA at UCLA is a 3.97 and I feel I have all the extracurriculars, so please help with some advice. THANKS

You sound like a great applicant, I just have to say that the verbal bit is a problem. I got interviews at two top twenty schools (admittedly MD/PhD) two application cycles ago, and one said my MCAT was "OK" because of a verbal 9, and on the other interview, the guy said by verbal was "worrisome." So, a six will definitely put up alarm bells. Unless you have a good excuse, like English is your second language, I would focus all of my energies to try to get a 12 or so on the MCAT. That seems to be the only thing that could still be holding you back.

Best of luck, I hope you get in, whether you apply this year or next!

how did you do in your english classes? if you are yet to take them, make sure to take legit english classes, not the bs ones that are offered at many uc's, and excel in them (easier said than done) and have a rec from your english teacher. You should apply though (md/phd maybe?) esp. since your verbal didnt get better from first to second time; i dont know how good it would be to take it a third time but maybe some coaching could help on that section.

It is certainly possible for you to get into medical school. A 6 on verbal will hold you back, but if the rest of your application looks good, you have a decent chance of getting in. Apply to a wide range of schools, and watch out for schools that have secondary cutoffs (ie., several UCs, Jefferson, etc).

Make sure you have a very strong personal statement, and make sure your secondary essays are well-written. Schools will more likely overlook your verbal score if you can show them that you're a strong communicator.

mosdef said: