Should I ask for more money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted a position approximately 7 months ago to work in a clinic operated by a health care system my community family medicine program is based out of (multispecialty organization). I was happy with the job, however, the sign on bonus was a little bit less than competing health systems, and before I accepted the position, I asked for more of a sign on bonus. I was told that they could not increase the sign on bonus, as this was a uniform sign on bonus, and out of fairness, etc., they would not increase it. I took the job, and I am, in general happy with the position and overall package.

However, one of my fellow resident colleagues interviewed for a similar position, and was very insistent on a higher sign on bonus, and was more proactive/ assertive than I was, and actually GOT the higher sign on bonus (same that I had asked for).

So it has been irking me..... And I know, I probably shouldn't, but I am tempted to go back and ask for more. I already accepted the job. Part of me thinks, it doesn't hurt to ask. On the other hand, I don't want to want to be offensive or greedy to my future employer... I doubt that they would do something extreme like "fire" me or what not, but it may set a bad tone. Also, I haven't started yet, but I have NO intent NOT to fulfill my contract or change my mind about this job, so really I have no pull.

But, hopefully I stay with this employer for a long time, and I argue in my own mind "I am only going to get one sign on bonus ever" plus, although not absolutely necessary, I could use the money.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not recommend it for the reasons you've listed. Sign on bonuses, generally, are not "free" money and should best be thought of as an advance on your production - on way or another, you will be required to earn that money back for them. Money now, money later... either way, I would not want to start out on the wrong foot and risk poisoning the relationship.

You would also be outing your friend as having discussed the terms of their contract with a coworker......which a huge no-no in many employment situations

Members don't see this ad :)
You already agreed to the contract, I wouldn't go back now and ask for more... doesn't really put you in a good light.

Survivor DO

You should have had your contract lawyer negotiate a higher rate for you before you signed the contract. There is no going back.

Right now your best strategy would be to work hard for 6 months and then negotiate a higher salary (perhaps in return for early renewal/extension of your contract).

Can't go back and change the past.

Moving forward:

1. Improve negotiating skills. This book is a great help with that (even if you aren't female) http://www.amazon.com/Ask-Women-Pow...TF8&qid=1370886423&sr=1-2&keywords=ask+for+it

2. Learn how to track your productivity and become obsessive about it. You won't be paid any more money than you bring into the practice.

Can't go back and change the past.

Agree that the signing bonus can't be changed. However, there is no reason why salary can't be increased going forward. For example, suppose the OP signed a 2 year contract for 175k per year. And suppose that he is doing a good job at 6 months in and the employer likes him. There is no reason why he couldn't negotiate an immediate raise at that time to something like 195 k, as long as he gave them something in return (such as agreeing to stay on past 2 years). Of course, if the employer is resistant to this, than he should continue to do a good job and start quietly making preparations to leave at the end of his contract.

minding the business etiquette forget the signing bonus. Dont ever talk about it in the future. But that doesnt mean you cant negotiate with them in the future about other productivity bonuses or raises.