Should I attend DMUCOM or TUCOM CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOrocker0930

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a tough decision to make, and I know that only I can decide what's best for me. With that said, I need advice to help decide which school I should attend this coming Fall 2017: Des Moines Univ College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM) or Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Vallejo (TUCOM-CA). I have been accepted to both schools. There are a number of aspects I need to consider: location, cost of attendance, facilities, curriculum, residency match, school atmosphere/culture, and school ranking.

Of note, I have lived in Bay area California for the past 16 years with my family so moving to Des Moines would be a big change for me, but location is not the deciding factor for me. I am willing to consider moving far away if it means signficantly cheaper tuition and better experiences from students/alumni.

If you can help make this decision easier for me, I would be very grateful! Any insight/advice highly appreciated :) (Serious answers only please)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which do you prefer: corn dogs and fried Snickers, or Mexican and Napa wines???
Are you saying it doesn't matter which school I go to? They're exactly the same? Serious answers please!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Serious answer. Looking at school ranking and past years match list is an utter waste of ti,e and tells you nothing. I'd go to DMU for all of the other factors on your list.

Reactions: 2 users
Serious answer. Looking at school ranking and past years match list is an utter waste of ti,e and tells you nothing. I'd go to DMU for all of the other factors on your list.
Can you elaborate a bit more? I've heard bad rumors about Tucom-ca but is it really that bad? Are you a current student at either school?

Can you elaborate a bit more? Does DMU have better facilities? Are you a current student there?

Facilities are pointless, you're only there for 2 yrs, and you honestly won't notice it, you'll be too busy studying, and by the end of 3rd year it'll all be a distant memory.

If your family is going with you, then go to the cheaper one. If your family isn't coming with you, and they're important to you, it's probably worth it to stay in the bay area. It's important to have a good support system in med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Tough choice, but DMU.

DMU is a very good school, but they lack proper GME setup. Still, they match fairly well into ACGME in their territory.

Touro CA is a school Id avoid unless I had no other choice. I'm a CA resident and I didn't even attend my interview, that's how much I don't recommend them.

P.S. This is all stuff I've heard from others on SDN and from other people, but their match list seems good too. BUT, for the caliber of students that go there, they could do much better if Touro CA was a better school. Touro NV beats them too

Tough choice, but DMU.

DMU is a very good school, but they lack proper GME setup. Still, they match fairly well into ACGME in their territory.

Touro CA is a school Id avoid unless I had no other choice. I'm a CA resident and I didn't even attend my interview, that's how much I don't recommend them.

P.S. This is all stuff I've heard from others on SDN and from other people, but their match list seems good too. BUT, for the caliber of students that go there, they could do much better if Touro CA was a better school. Touro NV beats them too
Well how can you trust what you've read on sdn from other people and use that to decide that touro is not worth interviewing yet? Have you ever visited the school yourself to check it out? I interviewed there and students and dean were extremely friendly and suppportive of each other. I have also not read many wonderful things about touro..but can someone explain to me why it does not have good reputation?

I'd rather hear the reasons why touro is not as good of a choice as dmu, rather than just say "I don't recommend touro"...and preferably from reputable source, say, a current student or someone with affiliation to the school than rumors you read on sdn. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Well how can you trust what you've read on sdn from other people and use that to decide that touro is not worth interviewing yet? Have you ever visited the school yourself to check it out? I interviewed there and students and dean were extremely friendly and suppportive of each other. I have also not read many wonderful things about touro..but can someone explain to me why it does not have good reputation?

I'd rather hear the reasons why touro is not as good of a choice as dmu, rather than just say "I don't recommend touro"...and preferably from reputable source, say, a current student or someone with affiliation to the school than rumors you read on sdn. Thanks!

I don't blame you. But one thing I've learned over the years is that when numerous people make the same claims, and on top of that there has been almost no Touro students refuting any of the negative things that are said about the school, then I tend to believe it. But yea hopefully some current students could chime in more; I rarely see Touro CA students on SDN to begin with.

I would choose a school based on the quality of their clinical rotations. Try to find out their clinical rotations and current students' clinical experience as much as possible. Also, Des Moines might be very different from the bay area.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I don't blame you. But one thing I've learned over the years is that when numerous people make the same claims, and on top of that there has been almost no Touro students refuting any of the negative things that are said about the school, then I tend to believe it. But yea hopefully some current students could chime in more; I rarely see Touro CA students on SDN to begin with.

Be very, very careful with that line of thinking.

Hearing something multiple times on SDN doesn't mean anything. How many times have you heard "DOs can only match PC," "a 3.1 gpa and 30 mcat is fine for DO" and "SMPs are the best option for GPA fixing?" Every one of these statements is, at best, mostly false, but they're repeated ad nauseum, because people who have no idea what they're talking about, hear it from other people, who heard it in a post from 2005... and eventually the veracity of the statement is taken for granted and becomes SDN canon.

People went crazy at the beginning of this year bashing Touro NY because of overbooking. Eventually, they started ripping on Touro NY's poor Comlex 2 pass rate, which is a far more important criticism. However, this soon turned into completely unfounded criticisms about Touro NY as people "extrapolated" the criticisms to rotation quality, matching ability, and student outcomes. And then people started applying them to ALL the Touros, including CA and NV. I have literally never seen a single student from either school make similar claims to those of Touro NY.

You say "almost no students" which is true, simply due to raw numbers. Anyone can perpetuate a rumor, but there are only so many Touro students who will show up on a given thread, and like many other things on the Internet, usually it's only the pissed-off people who bother to write about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Here is that student's review of TUCOM:

"Hello! Touro OMS III here.

Different people have different attitude about this school. For me personally, I am 11/10 satisfied with it, I think the experience I’ve had here is significantly better than I could have had at any other school, and I am beyond grateful I ended up here.

From what I’ve seen there are 2 (often overlapping demographics) that tend to dislike the school.

1) People who hate osteopathic manipulation and do not believe it should be taught in schools.

2) Gunners who to whom gunning is the end all be all of life.

If you fall into either of those, you probably don’t want to go here.

Beyond the awesome location (Mare Island, where over half the students live, unlike Vallejo is a safe quiet natury friendly communal neighborhood, and basically the only affordable one like that in the Bay Area), there are quite a few strong positives about the school.

General Strengths of the school:

The school has a very focused ostteopathic emphasis. Some osteopathic schools are more allopathic and spend very little time on osteopathic work or integrating the principles into the curriculum. Many of the faculty and administration are passionate of maintaining an osteopathic identity to the school. Some students came there for that reason, while others realized they had a deep love for osteopathic manipulation from exposure to this emphasis, and of course a minority regretted this emphasis. There is a lot of fabulous support for OMM, and many students I know at other DO schools (who are passionate for OMM) are basically pissed off they never went here when we’ve compared notes on the OMM programs.

If you take advantage of it and make the effort, a lot of what the OMM program gives is basically magic for 3rd and 4th year, and I cannot count how many people were blown away by what it allowed them to do during clinical years (and many of our long time attendings are comfortable referring tricky cases to the Touro students).

The student base is extremely close and supportive (in other words we are not at a gunner school). On many exams, we’ve gotten through from other students going out of their way big time to help each other, most of the class is on extremely friendly terms with each other, and we can often have fun parties or bonding activities that don’t actually need alcohol to have everyone relax enough to vibe and have fun (although that’s not to say we are opposed to it..).

The administration from my perspective is super cool. They will listen to complaints and suggestions you have, and they go out of their way to open doors for you so that you can succeed or do beneficial things in addition to the normal medical school experience. As far as I can tell, that is not the norm for administrations.

The faculty are also very passionate about supporting their students and go way over the top to support and help their students succeed. Some of the lecturers are also very good. They will also give you a lot of time outside of class to help you succeed.

Give or take all lectures are recorded so you can watch them at home on 2x (or faster with a chrome plugin :p).

We have a very good anatomy program (most schools have significantly less anatomy than me do) and the lab is well ventilated. This might seem like a trivial details, but insufficiently ventilated anatomy labs are a large problem for many individuals I have spoken with.

This school is supportive of holistic practices. For example, we got in the news for having an elective that teaches anatomy through yoga (soooo many facebook shares you have no idea…), there is a weekly meditation class and an integrative medicine elective for interested students.

The school puts a fairly large emphasis on training you to be primary care physicians. As a result, we tend to have a lot of labs and education to work with all that stuff (which is actually turning out to be really helpful for 3rd year shelf exams), and we perform better on rotations. A lot of medical students aren’t really prepped for the clinical years, so as a result they struggle on rotations and I think there is some on going debate in the medical community of how much more it needs to be taught pre-clinically, but our school already does it a lot.

I do not have a good comparison of how it’s done at other places, but our school is invested in the students succeeding and has a lot of support systems in place to address all the issues which could commonly come up. From what I’ve seen, they’ve gone far beyond the duty I would expect a school to do in order to help medical students succeed.

The new system clinical distinction system for 3rd year gives an absolutely amazing degree of flexibility for students and ability to succeed as they want to as a physician. I feel very lucky to be in the first class to get it.

The global health program (where you spend a month in a foreign country like cambodia, ethiopia or taiwan practicing medicine) is pretty awesome and available to anyone who wants to do it.

Overall, I feel confident in generalizing that the students here are MUCH happier than students at a typical medical school.

Debatable Weaknesses of the school:

Touro is one of the most competitive DO schools in the country (due to location). As a result, many excellent candidates I would view as perfect fits for the school are not able to get in.

The school is fairly small, so certain resources you would expect to be present at a large school aren’t there. I actually like the small feel because it’s much more informal and allows much greater flexibility, but many things you would normally expect a large institution to have (ie our gym is functional but quite small) aren’t here.

The school is technically Jewish. In reality that doesn’t mean much, but on a practical level:

1) We get different holidays (pro in my opinion)
2) You are not allowed to use club funds for providing non kosher catered food on campus.
3) All the food in the cafeteria is kosher (so no pork basically).
4) There are lots of free jewish dinners/religious services provided and typically some type of jewish ceremonial thing at each assembly we have.
5) I have asked a lot of people and no one has been able to give me a clear answer on if the Jewish name Touro is pronounced Tour-Ooh or Tuh-Row. (people use both, the former is probably safer at interviews).

We bought the historical buildings from the navy and as far as I understand there are various agreements on how much they can be renovated (historical character needs to be maintained), so the campus is not super pretty.

The school is less board focused than other schools, and emphasizes teaching you useful stuff besides busting you case every day non stop to study for tests (thus happier students). A lot of the random stuff we learn ends up being tested on Comlex so we score a bit above average on it, but if we grilled non stop for boards, given the average MCAT of our school (before they switched to new mcat, we were the only DO school to break a 30 average), we probably do a lot better. On the other hand, we aren’t prepared well for USLME (which matters less now due to merger) and we tend to do much better on Comlex 2. At the end of the day, we have a good match list since the non boards part of preclinical is great preparation for years 3 and 4, and thus there are much better letters evals and rotation interviews.

Politically the climate is fairly liberal (bay area medical school). I like it but I have heard conservative students complain.

School is more open than most schools to non traditional applicants.

The school is very open to changing and improving (both from the faculty/admin debating it and from students proposing ideas), so there are often new programs and curriculum changes introduced, and as far as I can tell, the school is a lot more awesome than it was 4 years ago when I initially decided I had to go here.

Students frequently complain about the school health insurance plan. If you are too lazy to find an alternative option you may have dissatisfaction here.

Parts of the osteopathic program (the advanced useful OMM) require you to either have some natural sensitivity or a willingness to practice and quiet your mind. That is a good life skill to have, but if you don’t have it and don’t want to learn it, some of the Osteopathic manipulation in 2nd year will not be your cup of tea, although you aren’t really penalized for lacking sensitivity it in the grades, it’s just more really frustrating to not be able to do what a lot of other people can.

I really like my 3rd year rotation schedule and think I have it much better than most people I know at other schools, but unlike most schools we do not have an affiliated teaching hospital (way too much competition for sites in the bay area), and as a result we have to split into a lot of different groups (which is super sad because we all got super close in the first 2 years). The rotation experience is slightly different, although still cool and you just need to make sure you get the site that fits for you. There is a lottery to select everything afterwards. I am not positive, but I believe almost all of the class got their first or second choices for rotation sites as only 10 people were asking to trade sites once it was worked out.

Parts of Vallejo have crime, but crime on Mare Island is almost non existent.

Objective Weaknesses of the school:

There is a degree of bureaucratic disorganization with the school, which I believe partly comes from the fact we are partially managed by Touro New York, and amongst other things, from my inquiries the time zone difference actually makes things very complicated. Every person I’ve spoken to has a tale or two of something frustrating happening (ie. if you don’t hear back in a few months, you should make sure your application is in the correct pile). I am yet to hear of any issues that were serious problems however.

The pathology program really needs to be supplemented with Pathoma, and I like many wish I had realized this early on (pathology is hard to teach, and pathoma just does it so perfectly…).

The mosquitos here kind of suck, leave actually irritating bites and can bite through clothing. There is due to a nasty asian species that can only live in this specific biome. The mosquitos aren’t unmanageable, and don't carry diseases, but for some reason this year there have not been very many of them, and they are honestly my least favorite thing about this school.

I will admit in writing this I am super biased towards this school. In the past the only reason I paid for college was because you had to to get the degree, but in Touro’s case, I actually feel like the education I am getting is basically worth what I am paying for the degree. I also probably forgot a few pro/cons but that was everything off the top of my head and a pretty good list."

I have bolded the things I think are major red flags. The bolded and underlined are even bigger flags and the one part with all three bolded, underline, and italics, is a huge red flag. Remember, this is all coming from a student who loves this school "11/10", the people who aren't so biased have even less nice things to say.

This is a post I made regarding TUCOM in which I use a post from a current student. This post can be found in the school specific thread and I have bolded the points that I find to be red flags, the more serious I find the red flag the more modifications there are (like bolded, italics, etc.)

I would choose DMU, unless you have a significantly compelling reason to go to TUCOM. I personally would have rather reapplied than go to TUCOM so I didn't apply there.

TUCOM-CA is the most overrated medical school in the country - it's atrocious. Just look at the caliber of their matriculants and the board scores they put up. No self-made GME, EXPENSIVE COL, antiquated facility with zero desire to renovate, below average board scores for students who pumped out a 3.5/31 in undergrad (how do you suddenly just lose your mind), unimpressive match list, weak preceptor/community based rotation sites in god-forsaken locals throughout Northern California (lol at any student thinking they'll be rotating in San Francisco or Palo Alto), huge OMM focus and time suck, and the list goes on and on.

WesternU is able to hold it down down south (huge presence because of their class size, self-made GME, and 40+ year existence).

TUCOM-CA GME is losing their footing in competitive specialty matches to TUNCOM-NV, RVUCOM, NOVA, and to an extent KCU. Gone are the days where a California PD feels sorry for TUCOM-CA and says I'm gonna give your student (with a 220 USMLE at best) a shot in the match because they're in-state. Kinda hard to do that when you have a very competent and well-trained out of state student from RVUCOM or TUNCOM with a 240 on their USMLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TUCOM-CA is the most overrated medical school in the country - it's atrocious. Just look at the caliber of their matriculants and the board scores they put up. No self-made GME, EXPENSIVE COL, antiquated facilitate with zero desire to renovate, below average board scores for students who pumped out a 3.5/31 in undergrad (how do you suddenly just lose your mind), unimpressive match list, weak preceptor/community based rotation sites in god-forsaken locals throughout Northern California (lol at any student thinking they'll be rotating in San Francisco or Palo Alto), huge OMM focus and time suck, and the list goes on and on.

WesternU is able to hold it down down south (huge presence because of their class size, self-made GME, and 40+ year existence).

TUCOM-CA GME is losing their footing in competitive specialty matches to TUNCOM-NV, RVUCOM, NOVA, and to an extent KCU. Gone are the days where a California PD feels sorry for TUCOM-CA and says I'm gonna give your student (with a 220 USMLE at best) a shot in the match because they're in-state. Kinda hard to do that when you have a very competent and well-trained out of state student from RVUCOM or TUNCOM with a 240 on their USMLE.

I've also been noticing that TUNCOM outperforms Touro CA even though the matriculant stats of their students are always lower.

Matriculant stats are weird. A school like Touro might have 3.5 / 30, but in my experience, very few students have both, because a 3.5/30 student is at the low range of competitive for MD. From what I've seen, very few students had BOTH a high gpa and high mcat. I suspect the Touros have high average mcat scores because they compromise on GPA, and end up taking a lot of the low gpa/high MCAT students (like me) who other DO schools didn't want. Most DO schools are far more receptive to the high GPA/low mcat combination than vice versa.

Also, something like 20-30% of each class is taken from their SMP, and SMP student mcat scores aren't included in the entry stay calculation.

The Touros are middle of the road DO programs. You can do better, but you can definitely do worse. Don't expect entry stats to be fully tied to student outcomes. There's more to the story.

A school like MSU or KCU might have lower average MCATs, but their matriculant GPAs smoke the Touro's.

Matriculant stats are weird. A school like Touro might have 3.5 / 30, but in my experience, very few students have both, because a 3.5/30 student is at the low range of competitive for MD. From what I've seen, very few students had BOTH a high gpa and high mcat. I suspect the Touros have high average mcat scores because they compromise on GPA, and end up taking a lot of the low gpa/high MCAT students (like me) who other DO schools didn't want. Most DO schools are far more receptive to the high GPA/low mcat combination than vice versa.

Also, something like 20-30% of each class is taken from their SMP, and SMP student mcat scores aren't included in the entry stay calculation.

The Touros are middle of the road DO programs. You can do better, but you can definitely do worse. Don't expect entry stats to be fully tied to student outcomes. There's more to the story.

A school like MSU or KCU might have lower average MCATs, but their matriculant GPAs smoke the Touro's.

Touro CA has many very high stat applicants because of its location. There are many students there who get accepted to MD schools and turn them down for Touro CA? Why? Location.

UC Berkeley and Stanford students

I think I would like to decide based on the quality of the clinical rotations at each school. Do Touro or DMU both have teaching hospitals? How are 3rd and 4th year rotations like? And I would like to eventually transfer to a MD residency, so is that easier at one place or the other? Sorry not too familiar about the merger thing happening.

I think I would like to decide based on the quality of the clinical rotations at each school. Do Touro or DMU both have teaching hospitals? How are 3rd and 4th year rotations like? And I would like to eventually transfer to a MD residency, so is that easier at one place or the other? Sorry not too familiar about the merger thing happening.

you'd probably have better luck garnering this information from school specific threads, contacting the offices and seeing if there are current students they can connect you with (some schools have formal programs such as these), or reaching out to current students you see active on the school-specific threads.

what you're looking for seems to be very specific, and most of the responses you'll get on here will probably be from premedical students or possible speculations. it would also be helpful if you could articulate your own pros/cons list, since no one would know what how your priorities are ordered otherwise.

Only a select few DO schools have a teaching hospital. In fact, only OSU actually has a hospital with the name "XUniversity Medical Center" but a few others have functional teaching hospitals. Your terminology is a little confusing because no one "transfers" to a residency, and everything will be the same by the time it comes time for you to go to residency.

DMU rotates all over the Midwest with the majority of rotation sites in Michigan I believe. It's a good mix of preceptor and wards based. I'm not sure about TUCOM and haven't heard the greatest things, see post above.

Neither school has a teaching hospital.

Regarding residencies, the merger will be in full effect by the time we apply so only "MD" (ACGME) residencies will be available for all of us.

Where you match all depends on the specialty you apply to, your board scores, and your app as a whole. Applying to residency is a new app cycle just like applying to medical school, and the school you attended (especially for DO) has little bearing on where you match. You write a personal app for why you want to specialize, your EC's, grades, etc...

The only exceptions, and this is questionable even at best, is if you attend a school that has its own residencies, you may have a leg-up in matching there. This is by no means a rule, and the notion has been dwindling over the years.

Hope this helps.

Only a select few DO schools have a teaching hospital. In fact, only OSU actually has a hospital with the name "XUniversity Medical Center" but a few others have functional teaching hospitals. Your terminology is a little confusing because no one "transfers" to a residency, and everything will be the same by the time it comes time for you to go to residency.

DMU rotates all over the Midwest with the majority of rotation sites in Michigan I believe. It's a good mix of preceptor and wards based. I'm not sure about TUCOM and haven't heard the greatest things, see post above.

The majority of our training sites are in Iowa. We have spots in Michigan (20 to 30 ish?) as well as Ohio (20 to 30ish). Numbers fluctuate year to year. But these numbers are far exceeded by the hospitals in DSM itself that take DMU students for third year as well as the other sites in Iowa (Mason City, Davenport, and the various small town year long spots).

Reactions: 1 user
The majority of our training sites are in Iowa. We have spots in Michigan (20 to 30 ish?) as well as Ohio (20 to 30ish). Numbers fluctuate year to year. But these numbers are far exceeded by the hospitals in DSM itself that take DMU students for third year as well as the other sites in Iowa (Mason City, Davenport, and the various small town year long spots).

Interesting, I could have sworn they said at the interview over half rotated in Michigan. This is good to know.

Interesting, I could have sworn they said at the interview over half rotated in Michigan. This is good to know.
Things fluctuate from year to year. For example, this year there was a big push for more rotations in Minnesota and expanding Wisconsin sites as well. There are relatively few MI or OH sites, but as stated above the grand majority of the class will stay in or around Des Moines.

Fairly certain during my DMU interview they said some of their Michigan sites (not a whole lot to begin with) were being transitioned to MI schools. Most of their rotations are in Iowa.

Things fluctuate from year to year. For example, this year there was a big push for more rotations in Minnesota and expanding Wisconsin sites as well. There are relatively few MI or OH sites, but as stated above the grand majority of the class will stay in or around Des Moines.
How difficult is it to go back to Cali to do residency from DMU?

How difficult is it to go back to Cali to do residency from DMU?

That is mostly going to be dependent on you and your ability to secure way rotations in your given specialty back in California. If you have significant ties to the area/region, it should be relatively easy to get enough away rotations. The away rotations and how you do on them will probably be the biggest factor in whether you get back there. Coming from DMU isn't really a positive or a negative for that situation in my opinion.

Thanks for all your comments guys. I am not any closer to figuring out which school, but I'll have to figure out sooner rather than later :p

Thanks for all your comments guys. I am not any closer to figuring out which school, but I'll have to figure out sooner rather than later :p

Board score board score board scores. No school will give you the leg up over the other, but I think DMU's curriculum has been solid. DMU has been around for a century, that means something in my eyes.