Should I be a non-trad or...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kochanie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
not?

My mom and I just got into an argument because I was explaining to her that my grades suck (though she doesn't know how bad) and I've been struggling. She's mad that I won't even try.

My junior year would consist of 3 Science classes every quarter + 1 non-Science + EC's + studying for MCAT's... I'm afraid I will butcher my grades even more (I have ADD, finally getting treatment... so maybe not?).

My senior year would also consist of 3 Science classes every quarter so I'm hoping my GPA would improve a lot and that my gap year would be spent doing research + working as a CNA/other technician..

That being said, I want to try. I do. But I don't know if I can. I applied ED to my school. never studied for tests, and did the essay hours before it was due so I'm not use to the process.. How will I be able to handle it all?

IF I got straight A's in my Sciences, my Science GPA will be a 3.5 be the end of junior year. That's hoping treatment will work/my D in Orgo shocked me into doing better.

If I should give it a shot, should I drop some of the pre-reqs I'm doing like History (which scare me more than Orgo) and wait to do them Senior year? Though, most Biology/Chemistry require the courses I am currently taking now or over the summer.

Thanks...
Also, my parents are currently paying for my school and probably will in medical school (because they wouldn't want it any other way). I don't want to disappoint them..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you (not your parents) want to be a doctor? Because before anything else can be decided, that's the only question that matters. And nothing in your post indicates the answer to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, yes, yes. My mom only pushes me because she knows it's what I want most in the world. She actually wasn't all for it in the beginning until she realized how much it means to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The term--nontrad--strains itself to mean anything. And yet, you are able to push new boundaries of absurdity in its use. For that, I commend you. But for purposes of example nontrads, in concept, are more preoccupied with taking care of their parents than being in existential struggle with them.

Your problems are typical. And I don't mean that to minimize them. I mean to say that getting into medical school is tough business. It has to be. It's the pain of long distance running. When all says to your mind...stop...what are we doing this for....let's just...can we just relax for a minute....ahhh now....doesn't that feel better.

You're a quarter mile in to a marathon. It's the uncommon disposition to sink into the pain, breath, and go faster for longer. But....that is what this will take. I have to be honest. My money is not on you to make it from the way I see your mind working. I wouldn't be doing you any favors by lying to you about that. Even if it seems like it might be.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't really see where the "non-trad" question comes into play here.
You're still in college, and you can still finish your pre-reqs on time. Non-trad doesn't mean "someone who got a bad grade"

And nobody who has a path with low grades should ever be counting on getting straight A's as part of their plan. Do what you have to do to keep your GPA up if you want to keep this career option on the table -- if that means taking your pre-reqs one at a time, so be it.

grades matter far more than how long it takes to get them....whatever gets you A's is what you should do

Last time I checked, but I guess it's wrong:

Traditional = Applying to medical school and attending right after college.

Non-Traditional = Anything else.

I had planned to not go right into it, or try to.

Last edited:
Like Nasruden said, most nontrads are not having spats with their mom, or have to tell anyone about how bad their grades are. Most non trads go into school and pay their own way, whatever the costs and take the responsibility of their course.... You're a young person who is having college issues. It's a part of growing up.

Take a breath and take 2 science courses with a few other courses to round out your next semester. For the next few months, give it all you have and be realisitic about your grades. Take responsibility. If you want it, fight for it and put yourself through it, just for the next semester.

If you get no less than B's and feel steadier and more confident about this path, then take another semester. Finish off your bachelor. Take the MCAT. One step at a time. You've got a lot to learn, and I'm only speaking in part about the coursework.

Best of luck to you.

I've been struggling which is why I'm asking for advice, not whether or not my deffinition of a word is correct. A lot of it was my fault, but I truly believe some of it was out of my hands. I never even hang out with friends, it's not for lack of drive.. :(

These "what if" threads are so annoying. "What if I get a 4.0 from here on out, will I get into med school?" "What if I score a 36 on the MCAT, will I be accepted then???"

If you want to be a doctor, you can. Just get good grades to bring up your GPA (consider DO grade replacement if needed), do well on the MCAT, have decent EC's, and you'll be fine.

That's how my mind works. ;) Too bad I can't really take any science classes until I get these Bio ones done (one per quarter all year) and Orgo in the summer. What other classes are counted as Science, does Cognitive Science count?

That's how my mind works. ;) Too bad I can't really take any science classes until I get these Bio ones done (one per quarter all year) and Orgo in the summer. What other classes are counted as Science, does Cognitive Science count?

Cognitive science does not count. The courses that count as BCPM are listed in the AAMC website. Generally they have to be in the bio, chem, physics, or math departments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last time I checked, but I guess it's wrong:

Traditional = Applying to medical school and attending right after college.

Non-Traditional = Anything else.

I had planned to not go right into it, or try to.

It's obviously not a strict definition. However, the problems your having are consistent w/ those of applicants on the regular pre-allo/pre-osteo forums. Non-trad tends to refer to people who did not initially intend to go to medical school and accordingly did not complete their pre-med reqs while in undergrad -- it presents a unique challenge, b/c you are out of the nest and balancing an independent, adult life (hopefully a job, sometimes a spouse or kids) while trying to get this coursework and the application process done. Taking a "gap year" is very common. Taking 2 years off is very common. The median age of matriculants is 25, not 21/22. (www.aamc.org/download/321468/data/2012factstable6.pdf).

I've been struggling which is why I'm asking for advice, not whether or not my deffinition of a word is correct. A lot of it was my fault, but I truly believe some of it was out of my hands.

The reason people are pointing out your "definition of a word" (non-trad), is because the problems you're asking about aren't related to being a non-trad and are best addressed by others in your shoes. People on this forum, in general, did not go through what you are going through unless they went to college late as well . . . many if not most of us did our pre-med reqs in post-bacc programs, at nights, on weekends, etc., and many were working while doing it. We went through the stress of Orgo etc. under completely different circumstances.

I'm not sure what the "IT" is that you are saying was your fault, but you have to get past excusing bad grades as out of your hands. Yes, sometimes they are. It sucks. But it doesn't look good when you say that to people who are considering your application. It's best to reframe it and focus on the ways in which you are in control of the situation -- instead of saying "I had untreated ADHD and couldn't control the situation" you need to present yourself as "I realized I was struggling more than was appropriate, so I sought help. I was then able to succeed in ways that allowed me to recognize new strengths in myself and I am now confident that I can succeed in the rest of undergrad and med school, yada yada yada".

I never even hang out with friends, it's not for lack of drive.. :(

This is not healthy, and will not make you successful. People who succeed on this path take care of themselves emotionally and physically. Some do it better than others, but this sort of extreme really dooms you to fail -- you will burn out, melt down, and become a huge pain in the butt to colleagues as your attitude suffers from this. If you require so much time in college to complete your work that you cannot socialize, you will not have enough time to complete what is required of you in medical school. So, in addition to waiting until you're sure you're at the point where you can perform well academically, you should probably not seriously consider submitting an application until you've also figured out strategies to balance work/life better while performing well.

Many people benefit from seeing a counselor/therapist in college. This is particularly true of people who have new chronic diagnoses to come to terms with or who are for the first time in life struggling to meet their past level of accomplishment. And it can be useful for sorting out the role your family is playing in *your* life decisions -- it's time to grow up, maturely consider your options, and then make the appropriate decisions to meet your goals . . . nobody else is going to do an appropriate job of that for you. If you are depressed, you need to get help. Plenty of us here have been through that (and late diagnoses of ADD) and understand that it's a huge obstacle, but nobody on SDN can help you with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Cognitive science does not count. The courses that count as BCPM are listed in the AAMC website. Generally they have to be in the bio, chem, physics, or math departments.

SN12357 is correct. OP, Check this link for more info:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

not?

My junior year would consist of...

My senior year would also consist of...

This is what caught my attention, along with the fact that you are just now beginning medication for ADD.
You should probably just give yourself time, take it easy, and ease into your junior year by getting used to the medication and not taking a class that is really important to your medical school application. It's going to be an adjustment and you don't want to gamble. You have time. You're apparently a sophomore in college. Maybe you could work on other things that are important to your application so that your mother can see you're serious. Suggestions: volunteering, shadowing...
Good luck!

I don't know. You tell us. Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a cop. How badly do you want it?

Should I be a non-trad or not?

This strategy I not conducive to success in medical school.

That being said, I want to try. I do. But I don't know if I can. I applied ED to my school. never studied for tests, and did the essay hours before it was due so I'm not use to the process.. How will I be able to handle it all?

looks like there's hope. But again... how badly do you want it?

IF I got straight A's in my Sciences, my Science GPA will be a 3.5 be the end of junior year. That's hoping treatment will work/my D in Orgo shocked me into doing better.

This is the single worst reason to want to go to medical school. Do it because YOU want to not because they want you to. them.

Also, my parents are currently paying for my school and probably will in medical school (because they wouldn't want it any other way). I don't want to disappoint them..[/quote]

1. "My mom and I just got into an argument because I was explaining to her that my grades suck (though she doesn't know how bad) and I've been struggling. She's mad that I won't even try."

She loves you. She see you as the next Surgeon General. Please give her a huge teddy bear hug for that. Some of us don't have our moms anymore.

2. "My junior year would consist of 3 Science classes every quarter + 1 non-Science + EC's + studying for MCAT's... I'm afraid I will butcher my grades even more (I have ADD, finally getting treatment... so maybe not?)."

You are a glutton for punishment!! Three science classes would be too much. Cut that back.

3. "My senior year would also consist of 3 Science classes every quarter so I'm hoping my GPA would improve a lot and that my gap year would be spent doing research + working as a CNA/other technician."

Become an ED Tech. Since you love activity, that's a great place to get it!

4. "That being said, I want to try. I do. But I don't know if I can. I applied ED to my school. never studied for tests, and did the essay hours before it was due so I'm not use to the process.. How will I be able to handle it all?"

You are overwhelming yourself.

5. "IF I got straight A's in my Sciences, my Science GPA will be a 3.5 be the end of junior year. That's hoping treatment will work/my D in Orgo shocked me into doing better."

That statement, "IF..." will cause yourself to tailspin.

6. "If I should give it a shot, should I drop some of the pre-reqs I'm doing like History (which scare me more than Orgo) and wait to do them Senior year? Though, most Biology/Chemistry require the courses I am currently taking now or over the summer."

Again, you're overwhelming yourself.

7. "Also, my parents are currently paying for my school and probably will in medical school (because they wouldn't want it any other way). I don't want to disappoint them."

Please give them teddy bear hugs from me!! My oldest loan is half your age.

The only thing you need to do right now is chill. It will come. You'll be my age one day; yes, I had a pet T-Rex and no internet to boot. Let this come to you slower. You need to chunk your calendar, your watch and smell a rose, feed the birds, pet a puppy. Once you catch your breath, then you'll know if this is for you. Until then, go hug your mom :)

Haha! I am overwhelming myself. I think I need to take 3 science classes (1 physics and 2 bio) my next two years because I can't take any now (bio now and orgo in summer). Trust me, I want it bad. I just don't know why I'm failing so terribly.

A 3.5 is not "failing terribly," and you're not doing yourself any favors by thinking of your situation that way.

OP said IF they get straight As from here out they could end up with a 3.5. Which means their GPA is probably more like a 3.0 or lower right now. While not nonredeemable, it's not exactly solid med school territory either...

OP said IF they get straight As from here out they could end up with a 3.5. Which means their GPA is probably more like a 3.0 or lower right now. While not nonredeemable, it's not exactly solid med school territory either...

Fair enough. I assumed that if he/she is half way through school and can still get a 3.5 by the end, that's not "failing terribly" -- that's struggling to achieve med school standards, but overall far from failing. As I said above, nobody should count on getting straight A's as part of his/her plan. However, my point in the above post still stands -- staring at a 3.0 or a single D and lamenting "I'm failing" is not a way to head for success. Look at the classes you've done well in and realize you're capable of doing it, and figure out how to extend that to the other classes and why you haven't already.

My sGPA was something around a 3.2. I got plenty of interviews and acceptances. My uGPA was only about 3.5. The way people around SDN talk, this is unfathomable. I wasn't on here until very late in my pre-med process, & thank god for that, b/c I would probably have become so discouraged I would have done worse in my classes. (Full disclosure, I have an engineering degree & a ton of "extra" math classes, so I was not taking bare bones med req's and getting the 3.2, but I did have 2 C's and one or 2 B-'s in my pre-req courses, but at a school known for harshly grading those classes)

Last edited:
Fair enough. I assumed that if he/she is half way through school and can still get a 3.5 by the end, that's not "failing terribly" -- that's struggling to achieve med school standards, but overall far from failing. As I said above, nobody should count on getting straight A's as part of his/her plan. However, my point in the above post still stands -- staring at a 3.0 or a single D and lamenting "I'm failing" is not a way to head for success. Look at the classes you've done well in and realize you're capable of doing it, and figure out how to extend that to the other classes and why you haven't already.

Oh, I agree. But we definitely get panicking premeds running through here all the time in histronics over a 3.7+, whereas if the OP has a consistent 3.0 that IS something that requires strong course-correction (unlike the other case). But panic and lamentation, no.

Yup, I go to Northwestern, the grading sucks. :( I'd have a 3.54 by the end of.next year and almost 3.8 by the end of senior, IF I got straight As. I'm not counting labs.(do they count?) What scares.me the.most is that I know it's so far from posaible and and that my GPA might not improve, even with A-'s and B+'s.

Last edited:
  • The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai. --Ghost Dog
Seriously. Get on some ghost dog type ****.