Medical Should I be concerned that I haven't heard from more schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I applied to 27 MD schools this year and things are not going as I had hoped. My question is related to the fact that I had a few friends who applied last year with similar stats and backgrounds who already had several interviews at this point last year. So all my family and friends know this and are comparing me to them. They keep asking why things aren’t going well for me and I would like a realistic non-biased evaluation of my situation. Do I keep telling people it’s just taking longer than it took my friends or am I at a point where I should level with everyone and tell them it may not work out this year? Its just so mentally draining to me answer I don’t know several times a week and during every conversation and I need a reality check.

My app includes:
3.7 GPA
300 hrs working with low income TBI patients
300 hrs basic ER and oncology volunteering stuff
3 leadership positions during summer jobs
2 years research with a primary author paper
Worked 20 hours a week as a janitor all four years of school

Demographic:
White
22 years old
NW state resident
Graduated in spring

Since graduation:
About to finish EMT certification

School list:
Vanderbilt
Emory
Einstein
Boston U
Duke
Hofstra
Tulane
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Thomas Jefferson
University of Washington
WSU
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Keck
Temple
Vermont
Kaiser
Loyola
Creighton
Loma Linda
University of Colorado
Oakland Beumont

I was turned in all secondaries by first few days of July, and got complete emails throughout that time and a few in August. There are no grammar or spelling mistakes anywhere, these where read by many people and spell check many times. I got a secondary from Vandy so I don’t think my primary has and red flags. I was in the first interview group for a state school which has also fueled my concern because I have had radio silence since that offer in late July. The actual interview didn’t go great as I had the flu, I pulled through and did well. But I just didn’t have my normal energetic personality or enthusiasm and kept stumbling over words from congestion and what not.

To make matters worse I got rejected from another state school last week preinterview which I was not expecting considering all my friends received interviews and that was my alma mater. Aside from my state schools I haven’t heard anything. For the schools I applied to and the fact that most where done in early July, is this length of silence normal for someone in my boat. I know I’m by no means a great candidate, average at best, this is just not how I envisioned this process going or have seen it go for others.

Thanks for the responses, if I’m being neurotic and my friends where just outliers please just let me know because I would really prefer that that be the case.
Yes this is normal. It's way too early to give up. You at least have one interview in hand. You can be nervous but every school does not make screening decisions at the same time.

Members don't see this ad.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

Not directed at you, OP, but SDNers are advised to not to have the mindset of “I sent in my apps; where are my IIs???!!!”

Vandy is a donation.
If you're not SDA or a devout Christian, so was Loma Linda.
Rest of the school list is good.
60% of all applicants get rejected.

Ignore your family.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.