Should I be Embarrased????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,
My name is Jennifer and I am just starting my pre-med education and I am 28 years old. It has been my dream since I was five to be a pediatrician, but due to unforseen circumstances in my life I was unable to pursue my dreams at a more "appropriate" age. I will not begin Med school until I am approximately 31 years old :( Is that like way to old?? Am I kidding myself? Should I be embarrased??? I know what I want but is it too late?? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

HI,
My name is Jennifer and I am just starting my pre-med education and I am 28 years old. It has been my dream since I was five to be a pediatrician, but due to unforseen circumstances in my life I was unable to pursue my dreams at a more "appropriate" age. I will not begin Med school until I am approximately 31 years old :( Is that like way to old?? Am I kidding myself? Should I be embarrased??? I know what I want but is it too late?? Thanks in advance for your help!!

I will tell you what my friend that was 40 when he started med school told me when I was 27 and thinking I was too old.

You are going to be 31 anyway. Might as well be doing what you want to be doing. You are going to be 35 one day. Why not be a doctor at 35 instead of wishing you were?

Plus, you still have 30 or so years to practice as a doc.

Oh, I decided at 27 to get both a PharmD first and then a MD. I want both!!

It is your life. Do what ya wanna!!!

Hi Jennifer. If you take a look around these forums you will see pretty quickly that 31 is not too old! I'll be 34 when I matriculate (hopefully) and almost 40 before I ever make a dime! There are alot of people on these forums who will be in their 30's, 40's (an beyond) when they start medical school. There is no "appropriate" age to go to school, some of us just take longer to get there. Best of luck to you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
HI,

Hi, Jennifer. :)

It sounds like you are starting your undergraduate education including your prereqs, is that right? There are many people of a variety of ages and lifepaths on the nontrad board. I'm going to bump this thread again. It has everyone's ages listed on it. You are not alone!

EDIT: that thread started in 2006 and is still going strong in 2008. Jump to the last page for most recent posts.

HI,

There are plenty of older students. I will be 30 when I start med school this fall. One of the reasons I was attracted to DO schools was that the median age was older than MDs. I don't know the national average, but all the MDs that I interviewed at had a median matriculant age of about 22-23. The DO were closer to 26. Regardless, at 31 you won't be the oldest student where ever you go. From what I hear, most classes have many students in their 30's and 40's. Good Luck!! :luck:

Absolutely not. Be proud of what you're doing. I sent you a private message :)

Absolutely not. Be proud of what you're doing. I sent you a private message :)

I second this sentiment!!!! Best of luck with this process

I am sending you PM as well

I'm 32 and starting in just a couple of months! Like all the others here I went through the same thoughts and came to this conclusion. I'll finish by the time I'm 40 and have a solid 25 year career before I retire. How is that too late? I could go for it, or wait, or never do med school, but either way I'll be 40 some day, and I'd rather be 40 with an MD than 40 without!

Look at the Non-Traditionals Forum for more of us old geezers! ;)

It's never too late as long as you are still above ground.
Research medicine and make sure it is right for you.
I always tell people to get a degree in something they enjoy in case they decide not to pursue medicine. Enjoy your ug experience and get some clinical volunteer experience along the way. If you have a realistic idea of the steps ahead of you, it is certainly not too late.
:luck:

I'll be turning 31 in July- one month before starting M1. So don't be embarrassed in the least. If you really have the desire but don't go for it, don't be surprised at 35 when you look back and say "I wish I had gone for it when I was 28." Good luck!

Jennifer, I'm going to be WAYYYYYY younger than you when I start med school...I'll be 30 and 11 months! Yeah, I think 31 is just too old, we'll have to get you a walker :smuggrin:.

I say go for it. I know how you feel, I have that same conversation in my head about how 'old' I'll be, but think of it this way: when your 65 years old you will have been a doctor for about 30 years. Not too shabby.

Here's a point that I rarely ever see anyone mention, actually one of the more compelling reasons to attend medical school in your 30's or 40's even, life expectancy! Not only is it going up but it's a positive derivative, rate of increase is still climbing, and this also includes quality of life. It's very likely that a person currently in their mid 30's will not retire until 80 years old or possibly older! That means even at 40 you still have 40 years of career left. Of course this also means the population will balloon, which means an even greater demand for physicians than would be predicted by simple standard population growth curves. I think everyone can follow the chain of logic here. :)

Hi I am also 28 and will be 31 when I start medical school. I originally was going to apply June 2009, but figure I would be a better applicant for application cycle 2010. Like everyone else has said you don't want to regret it later that you did not at least try. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I will not begin Med school until I am approximately 31 years old :( Is that like way to old?? Am I kidding myself? Should I be embarrased???

Feel embarrassed? I'm 31, starting med school in August, and the only thing I feel is damned good. Sure, I'll be older than most of my class, but I've been older than all the undergrads I've been hanging out with while getting my prereqs and I've managed to have a good time! I'll be a doctor at 35, with a long career ahead of me in a field that, by all indications, will be begging me to never retire. In the meantime, I've had a great time, explored a lot of things, served in the military, and generally have lived a bit. Along the way I've learned how to talk to people, how to relate to their issues, and how to keep an inner core of integrity and drive when everyone around is half-assing it. It won't hurt that I probably won't get as much flak from patients either, since they'll assume I'm an experienced doc. ;)

So, my advice to you (and indeed to anyone) is to make sure that you're choosing medicine for the right reasons, understand what it's going to cost you (time, money, stress), and, if you're still up for it, then commit yourself and forget about your age (especially at your age!). I once heard an older non-trad (~45, I'd guess) ask a surgeon whether surgery was a realistic option for her, given her age. He looked her straight in the eye and replied that if she wanted to become a surgeon, then she should become a surgeon; her age was irrelevant.

Good luck.

Lady, if you should be embarrassed, then I should be ashamed. ;) If I get in this go around, I will be 40 (nearly 41) when I matriculate. Of course, ask anyone and they'll tell you I'm shameless, so...

Don't worry about it, and certainly don't obsess over it. If you MUST obsess, obsess about your grades, your MCAT, your LOR opportunities, and get involved in a volunteer or work situation that you can stick with for several years. Every doc that's looked at my CV has been impressed with the fact that there's a common thread to all of my volunteer and work experiences (mostly working with homeless and underserved communities), and that I stuck with them for so long.

Good luck! And have fun!

Shemena

I'm 35 and finishing up my first year of med school. When you are an older student, you have more to add to the group. You have experienced more and can apply that to medicine.

Don't worry. Just enjoy the classes you are taking and do well.

HI,

Age is not important. The most important thing is no matter how old or young you are, if you have the brains for medical school, go for it. Who will know your actual age; unless you reveal your age to everyone in your medical school. ;)
BTW: Some people look younger than their actual age. :hardy:

Welcome to SDN forum, Jennifer

I'm 30 (with the hair line of a 55 year old) starting in August, and I'm no where near the oldest member in my class.

"Youth and vigor is no match for age and treachery" :smuggrin:

Feel embarrassed? I'm 31, starting med school in August, and the only thing I feel is damned good. Sure, I'll be older than most of my class, but I've been older than all the undergrads I've been hanging out with while getting my prereqs and I've managed to have a good time! I'll be a doctor at 35, with a long career ahead of me in a field that, by all indications, will be begging me to never retire. In the meantime, I've had a great time, explored a lot of things, served in the military, and generally have lived a bit. Along the way I've learned how to talk to people, how to relate to their issues, and how to keep an inner core of integrity and drive when everyone around is half-assing it. It won't hurt that I probably won't get as much flak from patients either, since they'll assume I'm an experienced doc. ;)

So, my advice to you (and indeed to anyone) is to make sure that you're choosing medicine for the right reasons, understand what it's going to cost you (time, money, stress), and, if you're still up for it, then commit yourself and forget about your age (especially at your age!). I once heard an older non-trad (~45, I'd guess) ask a surgeon whether surgery was a realistic option for her, given her age. He looked her straight in the eye and replied that if she wanted to become a surgeon, then she should become a surgeon; her age was irrelevant.

Good luck.

Here, here!! Nice post! :D

I hope you'll find, as many of us non-trads have, that the things that have led you on a non-traditional path to medicine are things that will help enhance your application. You're INTERESTING, and that's a good thing! Also, it seems that most non-trads have a much better sense of WHY they want to be a doctor, and if you're willing to go down that road later in life, it's generally true that you're more aware of what you're getting into and have really thought it through.

However, don't assume that just because you're an interesting candidate for med school that you're a shoo-in. I fell prey to this line of thought early on. Everyone tried to quell my fears by telling me that the admissions committees would love me to death . . . and I was so eager for this to be true that I bought it! So, I didn't really worry about getting in and didn't thoroughly research what I needed to be doing (e.g. getting clinical experience) until it was almost time to apply . . . which was WAY too late. Info is key in this process. Discovering SDN is a good step, though. :) It has certainly helped me learn about the process, just by reading about others' experiences. (Just remember not to believe every word as gospel truth. ;))

Best of luck! :luck::luck:

46, starting family med residency in a few weeks. The nice thing is knowing that when they tell me what is wrong with me in the "old folks home" I will understand what they are saying.Seriously though - I am like twice as old as any of my future classmates. Heck, I am older than the program director.

Thank You so much for everyones support, Medicine has been my one and only love since I can remember, I knowI am doing this for all the right reasons for me, I just wanted to make sure it was a realistic goal. Thank YOu all so much I feel so great right now and am so ready to make this dream a reality!!!

To see the alternate view, I started med school straight out of college (22yrs) and I'm so sick of this crap. I'll be 31 after I finish my ENT residency, but it will cost me all of my 20s! Be happy you got to enjoy those years. You're probably a hot blonde, so I'm sure you did.

Is that like way to old?

Like omigawd no!
</valley girl>

If you talk like you write, no one will know you're 31 ;)

It is a long road. Good luck and keep the big picture in view.

HI,

I'm 40 and was taking premed classes in the mid-1990s. I was in a Kaplan MCAT review class when I took a job in my field unexpectedly offered to me. Over the years I've been thinking of medical school and now realize that I should have pursued it; I would be done with residency and practicing by now. After reading the nontrad forum on SDN (and oldpremeds), it is good to know that it is still possible to pursue med school even at my "advanced" age. However, it will be more difficult due to family and financial considerations.

If you truly want to be be a doctor, go for it and don't put it off. Time has a way of sneaking up on you...

HI,
I will not begin Med school until I am approximately 31 years old :( Is that like way to old?? Am I kidding myself? Should I be embarrased???

Be embarrassed. Be VERY embarrassed. :eek:

(I am joking of course)

I hate to throw cold water on this thread, but yes you are probably too old. You won't fit in with your classmates, and they will all point at you and laugh. When you walk past groups of students, you'll hear little whispers like "who does she think she is, coming here at that age? We should teach her a lesson."

I hate to throw cold water on this thread, but yes you are probably too old. You won't fit in with your classmates, and they will all point at you and laugh. When you walk past groups of students, you'll hear little whispers like "who does she think she is, coming here at that age? We should teach her a lesson."

Shouldn't you be busy hiding reference books from people and obsessing over how you compare to others? ;) But what a horrible fate it would truly be to have a few classmates think you're too old. Personally, I'd have to try to take some small comfort in the MD behind my name, the respect of my friends and family, and a long, fulfilling career doing some good in the world. It'd be tough, but I think with enough therapy I'd be able to work past the derision of a few students in their early-twenties.

Besides, "we should teach her a lesson" sounds like extra tutoring. That's friendly! :D

I'm starting the Ross University MERP program in July. This time will also mark 7 years of officially seeking after medical school entrance. Over those years, I've had a blast and done things I never imagined. No matter how long it takes you to get there, the time will pass so enjoy the journey. Anything worth having will cost something....time, energy, pride, risk...something. :thumbup::thumbup:

You have clearly never been on the inside of a graduate level classroom. What a load of bollocks.

You have clearly never been on the inside of a graduate level classroom. What a load of bollocks.

I took my first graduate level classes in the mid-1990s. And how could you have possibly taken that seriously? :p

I'll be 32 when I matriculate.. in about 2 years.

I let my ex-husband talk me into having a family and baby and live on Guam for several years when I was young and stupid... and I've spent the last 8 years making up for that mistake.

I allowed myself to be a skill-less housewife, so when I found out my ex was cheating on me (as well as other things) and I left... I had to first get the skills to be able to support myself and my child.. and THEN I could restart the path to Med School.

It's been hard, it's been. So. Very. Long.

My family only mouths support..and then backs it up with barbs like, "why can't you just be a nurse? it would be so much easier!" :bullcrap:

Anyhow... I'm 30 now, and half way through THREE concurrant degrees, because I'm a dork and couldn't just pick one to fly through.

Also- I am finishing up ****** Math so that I can take College Algebra and then Calculus still! w00t!

Shan:luck:

I'll be 32 when I matriculate.. in about 2 years.

Also- I am finishing up ****** Math so that I can take College Algebra and then Calculus still! w00t!

I'm the same age and on the same timeline as you. But I see a potential problem: if you haven't taken College Algebra yet, how are you going to take the required Physics classes in time to matriculate at 32? Without a solid mastery of algebra going in, college physics will be quite difficult.

Also, are you taking into account the "glide year" aka gap year? If you finish all your classes by next spring, then you'll start applying and not matriculate until 2 years from now. But your schedule sounds more like you'll be finishing off your degrees 2 years from now, and matriculate 3 years from now. That would make more sense given the (algebra --> physics) issue.

I consider 70's to be old. Nothing below that. So go for it!! And when I get to 70 I would consider 90's to be old :thumbup: You are never old to accomplish what you want.

Here's a point that I rarely ever see anyone mention, actually one of the more compelling reasons to attend medical school in your 30's or 40's even, life expectancy! Not only is it going up but it's a positive derivative, rate of increase is still climbing, and this also includes quality of life. It's very likely that a person currently in their mid 30's will not retire until 80 years old or possibly older! That means even at 40 you still have 40 years of career left. Of course this also means the population will balloon, which means an even greater demand for physicians than would be predicted by simple standard population growth curves. I think everyone can follow the chain of logic here. :)

I certainly hope so, 'cause I got a boat load of student loans to pay back, and I'm gonna be starting out making my first real paycheck at the ripe young age of 45 (45+40=85).

HI,

31 is not old. Since when 31 is old? In fact, older students have advantages: experience, maturity, and in some cases, financial stability. My younger pre-med friends worry about how they are going to pay for med school, dating, finding a girlfriend/boyfriend, and other things that most 20 something worry about. I am glad that I do not have to worry about that any more.. it is all in the past and I have done all that in my 20s. Now I can focus on medicine and go to school without having to worry about money and family. Med school and beyond feels like icing on the cake. This would not have been possible if I had gone to med school in my 20s.

36 and loving the experience.

If I had gone straight in when I was early 20's, I'm not sure I would have stuck with it......and I am sure I would not have appreciated it.

My 70+ year old father is jealous of what I am doing.

My 70+ year old father is jealous of what I am doing.

My father got his Realtor License at 74 just because it sounded like a fun way to "do something" and make some extra money. He happened to be love it and is making more money now than in his "prime" working years.

You're never too old if it's what you really want to do.

HI,
I understand where your coming from. I'm going to be 30-31 when I finally attend med school and that freaked me out as well. After the general shock wore off (sophmore yr) , I started to notice my friends who were 30-35 and how they had to work jobs that they hated to pay bills. Our age gives us a hand up because we have lived life (life experience) and picked up fun facts (knowledge) along the way.

Good luck on your studies. You can do it.

Then I would tell them go get ****ed, you ********ing dickhead.

Tell them I'm old and proud of it, ******. If you can make it this far then you can make it.

No u should not be embarrassed ..... rather you shud be proud of urself that u have taken a great decision ... and once u feel that way others will also bow down to ur confidence.

HI,

You should not be embarrased!