Should I be okay only applying to 5 or 6 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viscousbike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA = 3.7
sGPA = 3.7
MCAT = 36O
Major = Biomedical Engineering
Resident = Ohio

I also have a lot of research experience and I have decent volunteer and shadowing experience. Also I have been told that I am good at interviewing.

Do you think I would be okay apply to just my state schools three of which are safety, two are fits and one is a semi reach?

I've already gotten an interview from Case Western which is the semi reach but I'm just worried that I'm limiting myself and think I might want to apply to some more schools now instead of wait and apply later if I start getting rejections.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it's really late int he cycle to start adding more schools, but the abolsulte worst-case scenario is that you get rejections.

To fix that, you'll simply apply to more schools in June 2014.

GPA = 3.7
sGPA = 3.7
MCAT = 36O
Resident = Ohio

I also have a lot of research experience and I have decent volunteer and shadowing experience.

Do you think I would be okay apply to just my state schools three of which are safety, two are fits and one is a semi reach?

I've already gotten an interview from Case Western which is the semi reach but I'm just worried that I'm limiting myself and think I might want to apply to some more schools now instead of wait and apply later if I start getting rejections.

Is it really that late to start adding schools? I was under the impression that most people still haven't had their primary processed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. I applied to 7 and my MCAT was much Lowe, my GPA was 3.9 from no name school. Interviewed at every one except an OOS that only takes IS students BC I didn't know. Went to my 2nd choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

I had similar research ecs and shadowing. You'll be OK, just don't wear kakhis to interview like I did. Dumb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

GPA = 3.7
sGPA = 3.7
MCAT = 36O
Resident = Ohio

I also have a lot of research experience and I have decent volunteer and shadowing experience. Also I have been told that I am good at interviewing.

What if an OOS school offers you a full ride to attend? Would you turn down a prestigious school in your own state in its favor? What if your safeties pass you by figuring you'd never attend, your reach ignores you, and you interview poorly (illness, plane late, suit gets lost, nerves) at the two you feel are a match: should you put your eggs in two baskets?

So yes, I think you should apply to more schools. Now is a fine time to do it. Newly added schools will get your entire application within a business day of your adding (and paying for) them if you are already verified.

I think you should apply to more schools. Now is a fine time to do it. Newly added schools will get your entire application within a business day of your adding (and paying for) them if you are already verified.

Agree.

To answer your question, shold I be applying to only 5-6 schools?, that depends on those 5 or 6 you applied to. At least one should be your IS and the other should be nearby where you went to college.