Interesting development in UVA case!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Initial case was talked about on here but appears that the thread was locked. Looks like after 3+ years, the med student will not be reinstated

Original thread:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Initial case was talked about on here but appears that the thread was locked. Looks like after 3+ years, the med student will not be reinstated

Original thread:
Whatever your opinion on microaggressions and how they're taught in medical school, sounds like this guy wasn't cut out for medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Whatever your opinion on microaggressions and how they're taught in medical school, sounds like this guy wasn't cut out for medicine.
Definitely agree. Not cut out.

Though I do think it is wild how the legal process takes almost 4 years to play out. Even if he was reinstated, it seems almost not worth it at that point, doing 1 year, taking 4 off, 3 to finish, then 4+ for residency.

Definitely agree. Not cut out.

Though I do think it is wild how the legal process takes almost 4 years to play out. Even if he was reinstated, it seems almost not worth it at that point, doing 1 year, taking 4 off, 3 to finish, then 4+ for residency.
I mean I basically took 5 off doing a PhD. Overall still worth it if you ignore the endless hopelessness and crippling mental decline of those intervening years.

• Haha
Listening to him confront the speakers in that podcast was so cringe

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I basically took 5 off doing a PhD. Overall still worth it if you ignore the endless hopelessness and crippling mental decline of those intervening years.
That’s different though. You’re working towards something quite rewarding. Here his 4 years are wasted/meaningless. Completely different case.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a warning to those out there looking to seek justice through the legal system, the process is long and you will waste years and the outcome is never guaranteed even if you think you have a strong case, it’s really out of your hands.

Out of curiosity, I don’t understand the meaning of this:

—-
The opinion concluded the reason for Bhattacharya’s dismissal was that he was “repeatedly involuntarily committed to mental health institutions for threatening others” — incidents that happened to occur around the same time as his statements at the panel.
—-

Is this an official way of saying (likely to be less specific about his illness) that he had to be hospitalized for mental health emergencies, repeatedly?

Just a warning to those out there looking to seek justice through the legal system, the process is long and you will waste years and the outcome is never guaranteed even if you think you have a strong case, it’s really out of your hands.

Out of curiosity, I don’t understand the meaning of this:

—-
The opinion concluded the reason for Bhattacharya’s dismissal was that he was “repeatedly involuntarily committed to mental health institutions for threatening others” — incidents that happened to occur around the same time as his statements at the panel.
—-

Is this an official way of saying (likely to be less specific about his illness) that he had to be hospitalized for mental health emergencies, repeatedly?
That’s what it sounds like. As with most of the stories about students getting expelled, seems like there was more than initially reported by the student

That’s different though. You’re working towards something quite rewarding. Here his 4 years are wasted/meaningless. Completely different case.
I mean... you didn't "take 5 years off." You got a PhD :)
Just a joke hinting at how most PhD students nearing the end feel that a) they worked towards something very close to pointless, and b) the years were basically wasted from a financial/professional perspective.

Inevitably your papers feel scraped together, incomplete, and esoteric, even if they went to high impact journals. Then you wind up on a pretty similar or even identical career trajectory to someone doing an MS or MBA (PhD) or an MD (MD/PhD).

Not the same, I know, but it can definitely feel that way. 🙂

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I cant believe anyone is defending UVA. They guy was asking an expert about her research and pointing out contradictions. WTF. You get thrown out of school for that?

• Dislike
I cant believe anyone is defending UVA. They guy was asking an expert about her research and pointing out contradictions. WTF. You get thrown out of school for that?

There was probably more to the picture than just that.

Im not sure if you actually listened to the clip. But to me, it’s quite believable that the guy’s whole vibe is a problem.

He wasn't dismissed for what he said at the panel. He was dismissed for repeatedly threatening others, ultimately requiring no trespass orders. From the brief statement, it appears that things were bad enough that he needed to be hospitalized for it. The ADA would protect him for being dismissed due to a med/psych issue if that's all there was -- but it won't protect him from expulsion for threatening others.

Reactions: 8 users
There was probably more to the picture than just that.

Im not sure if you actually listened to the clip. But to me, it’s quite believable that the guy’s whole vibe is a problem.
you dont get thrown out of school for a vibe....

• Dislike
He wasn't dismissed for what he said at the panel. He was dismissed for repeatedly threatening others, ultimately requiring no trespass orders. From the brief statement, it appears that things were bad enough that he needed to be hospitalized for it. The ADA would protect him for being dismissed due to a med/psych issue if that's all there was -- but it won't protect him from expulsion for threatening others.
He didnt threaten anyone that I heard of. THis is just pretext on the part of the snowflakes at UVA who cant stand to be questioned even in academia. Shut up and do not question me.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
He didnt threaten anyone that I heard of. THis is just pretext on the part of the snowflakes at UVA who cant stand to be questioned even in academia. Shut up and do not question me.
Did you read the article? The whole point is that he was NOT dismissed because of what he said at the panel and instead was dismissed for a number of other events that happened to occur at the same time. He used the panel as a straw man to argue he was dismissed for his protected speech when in reality he was going to be dismissed for threatening people.

You can choose to not buy the story from the school, I guess, but the guy and his lawyer had several years to plead their case and failed to make a compelling argument. It will always be no better than a he said/she said case

• Love
Did you read the article? The whole point is that he was NOT dismissed because of what he said at the panel and instead was dismissed for a number of other events that happened to occur at the same time. He used the panel as a straw man to argue he was dismissed for his protected speech when in reality he was going to be dismissed for threatening people.

You can choose to not buy the story from the school, I guess, but the guy and his lawyer had several years to plead their case and failed to make a compelling argument. It will always be no better than a he said/she said case
You can choose to buy that but I do not. Its B.S.. UVA could have handled it much better and both parties would be intact. The woke thought police strikes again Disgusting.
Looking forward to a generation of doctors and scientists who are too afraid to ask questions. This attitude will set back needed medical advancement who knows how far.
Threatening others.. Puhhhlleeez. Ive read at least a few articles on this thing and I did n ot read any specific details as to who he threatened. And if he did, where is the due process. This whole thing STINKS to high heaven.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
You can choose to buy that but I do not. Its B.S.. UVA could have handled it much better and both parties would be intact. The woke thought police strikes again Disgusting.
Looking forward to a generation of doctors and scientists who are too afraid to ask questions. This attitude will set back needed medical advancement who knows how far.
Threatening others.. Puhhhlleeez. Ive read at least a few articles on this thing and I did n ot read any specific details as to who he threatened. And if he did, where is the due process. This whole thing STINKS to high heaven.
lol sorry bruh but you didnt come here to defend random student doctors who threatened people repeatedly, requiring multiple involuntary mental health comittments due to dangerousness… did you?

You cant be a doctor if you are dangerous. Nothing to do with being woke

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
lol sorry bruh but you didnt come here to defend random student doctors who threatened people repeatedly, requiring multiple involuntary mental health comittments due to dangerousness… did you?

You cant be a doctor if you are dangerous. Nothing to do with being woke

Again, what are the examples of him threatening someone? And of course this comes on the heels of " we have to talk to you in 3 hours about your enrollement status". I know the kind of people that are at UVA. Go B.S. someone else. I am not saying this guy at the ASAC meeting wasnt douchie but he is young and scared ****less and fighting for his career. THis could have been handled an entirely different manner. UVA should be ashamed of themselves and it deservedly sullies their reputation further.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
i read somewhere that this occurred after he broke up with a classmate. Would probably explain the threats that only seen to have come out in the judicial decision

• Care
gain, what are the examples of him threatening someone? And of course this comes on the heels of " we have to talk to you in 3 hours about your enrollement status". I know the kind of people that are at UVA. Go B.S. someone else. I am not saying this guy at the ASAC meeting wasnt douchie but he is young and scared ****less and fighting for his career. THis could have been handled an entirely different manner. UVA should be ashamed of themselves and it deservedly sullies their reputation further.
Judge rejects suit: Ex-UVA student said he was suspended for comments on microaggressions

manic episode with psychotic features
court-ordered/involuntary hospitalizations
multiple protective orders d/t threats and paranoid behavior
refusal to be evaluated for return to school per UVA policies

Again, what are the examples of him threatening someone? And of course this comes on the heels of " we have to talk to you in 3 hours about your enrollement status". I know the kind of people that are at UVA. Go B.S. someone else. I am not saying this guy at the ASAC meeting wasnt douchie but he is young and scared ****less and fighting for his career. THis could have been handled an entirely different manner. UVA should be ashamed of themselves and it deservedly sullies their reputation further.
Pretty sure he posted the whole thing on 4chan with contact info of the committee members, that is not stable behavior my dude. It was at that point he was asked to not be at campus anymore.

Yeah not surprised to hear there were some other issues going on there!
You called this outcome 3 years ago (in the original thread):

The only tragedy in this whole thing is that the inevitable lawsuit will probably get tossed at summary judgment and we will never get to see UVA lay out the full pattern of asshattery this guy displayed.
Nicely done.

• Love
  • Haha
You didn't read the previous thread on this guy, did you?

If you read the transcript of his questioning of the panel or saw the video, he at the least should have been called in for unprofessional behavior. He merely didn't ask questions, he basically interrogated the visiting panel in an aggressive fashion. I watched it and it was cringeworthy and reflected poorly on the school. It's not always what you say, but how you say it. Some people have been treated unfairly under wokeism as you call it, but this is not one of those cases.

• Love
You didn't read the previous thread on this guy, did you?
Yeah I’m probably one of the least woke people on this board and this student clearly needed the boot. And apparently many of these issues were occurring long before the microaggressions talk, and then he really went off the deep end afterwards. It’s quite a stretch for anyone to think uva somehow identified this guy as a conservative and conspired to run him out of school by committing fraud to have him involuntarily committed under false pretenses. It’s especially funny when I think of how many outspoken conservatives I know personally who are on their faculty!

What a nightmare for all involved. UVA handled this whole thing the only way they could and did it all legally and ethically. You simply can’t tolerate people threatening other people or even trying to incite others to harm them. I think that behavior would get any one of us fired immediately and might even result in loss of licensure.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
If you read the transcript of his questioning of the panel or saw the video, he at the least should have been called in for unprofessional behavior. He merely didn't ask questions, he basically interrogated the visiting panel in an aggressive fashion. I watched it and it was cringeworthy and reflected poorly on the school. It's not always what you say, but how you say it. Some people have been treated unfairly under wokeism as you call it, but this is not one of those cases.
So you have to have your entire career and life destroyed because you interrogated a professor on her research in a aggressive manner and it was cringeworthy to boot? This IS woke-ism. DO you think if she were giving a lecture on the arguments for the existence of GOD and was in the same fashion questioning it it woul dhave the same outcome?

• Inappropriate
So you have to have your entire career and life destroyed because you interrogated a professor on her research in a aggressive manner and it was cringeworthy to boot? This IS woke-ism. DO you think if she were giving a lecture on the arguments for the existence of GOD and was in the same fashion questioning it it woul dhave the same outcome?
Well if a devout atheist got up there and acted that way, after already having multiple issues and breakdowns. Then went on to threaten people. Then had another breakdown requiring involuntary commitment, then went on atheist forums and tried to dox and harass his faculty, and then made threatening statements about how he was gonna help all the faculty meet Jesus personally….yeah I think they would have shown him the door.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
All opinions are welcome, however we expect members to disagree with civility and respect for those who do not share their opinions. A member has been excused from this thread for the inablity to maintain their composure.

OK, let's try this again.

Read this:

And then read this:

If you continue to fulminate that this about wokeism, then my only conclusion is that you're trolling.

What you seem to be missing here is the students behavior was inappropriate. He showed no respect or collegiality to the visiting professors. Doctors must be able to discuss difficult topics in a calm and respectful manner. Tell another doctor to pi$$ off, and there they are tomorrow. Now what? Still gotta work with them. He did not respect boundaries. His underlying mental issues were being exposed. Seems all faculty have memories of a student similiar to him. As is often the case, this behavior is a harbinger of future behavioral issues. Clearly, this was not the reason for his dismissal as others have noted, but was the starting point of his decline.

• Love

I don’t think him interrogating the visiting lecturer aggressively was the reason his career was destroyed (although why he felt the need to do so, I don’t understand. He went out of his way to attend the lecture and then tried to make an ass out of the visiting lecturer. I’m personally not a fan of ultra woke stuff myself, like microaggressions, but my career is much more important than fighting this battle.) It was further constant antagonism and confrontational behavior when he was asked to explain. He kept doubling down and imploding in the process. The whole thing was sad to listen to, he didn’t have any insight into his behavior. Almost Ben Shapiro like “owning the libs” type of behavior. Except it was self ownage.

All he had to do was calmly respond and apologize for his behavior and move on with his life, instead he decided to double down and antagonise the whole committee. He then went further and posted all their info on 4chan and contacted right wing blogs/news agencies for coverage. It’s a total self own.

This also begs the question whether he’s fit enough to be a physician. I can totally see him blowing his gasket over a difficult patient or ancillary staff.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I don’t think him interrogating the visiting lecturer aggressively was the reason his career was destroyed (although why he felt the need to do so, I don’t understand. He went out of his way to attend the lecture and then tried to make an ass out of the visiting lecturer. I’m personally not a fan of ultra woke stuff myself, like microaggressions, but my career is much more important than fighting this battle.) It was further constant antagonism and confrontational behavior when he was asked to explain. He kept doubling down and imploding in the process. The whole thing was sad to listen to, he didn’t have any insight into his behavior. Almost Ben Shapiro like “owning the libs” type of behavior. Except it was self ownage.

All he had to do was calmly respond and apologize for his behavior and move on with his life, instead he decided to double down and antagonise the whole committee. He then went further and posted all their info on 4chan and contacted right wing blogs/news agencies for coverage. It’s a total self own.

This also begs the question whether he’s fit enough to be a physician. I can totally see him blowing his gasket over a difficult patient or ancillary staff.
It's fun how in the space of a month or two all of us attendings here get accused of being both too conservative and too liberal/woke.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Ok a quick note about micro aggressions (because the way they were talked about in the og post was frustrating to read and they’ve made a reappearance here). You generally make an effort to avoid stepping on someone’s toes right? And if you do accidentally step on someone’s toes, you say something like sorry I didn’t see you there, or hey I’m so sorry are you ok. You don’t say that shouldn’t have hurt much you should toughen up. A micro aggression is just the way we talk about really common, systematic ways that our toes get stepped on. Are you a bad person if you accidentally step on someone’s toes once and a while, apologize and try not to do it again? Of course not. But you are being a jerk if someone tells you that you’re stepping on their toes and you tell them to toughen up it’s not that big a deal. Just respect the human in front of you guys.

• Love
you dont get thrown out of school for a vibe....

For lack of a better word, professionalism is a vibe… and you can get thrown out for subjective professionalism violations.

• Love
Well if a devout atheist got up there and acted that way, after already having multiple issues and breakdowns. Then went on to threaten people. Then had another breakdown requiring involuntary commitment, then went on atheist forums and tried to dox and harass his faculty, and then made threatening statements about how he was gonna help all the faculty meet Jesus personally….yeah I think they would have shown him the door.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

• Haha
Ok a quick note about micro aggressions (because the way they were talked about in the og post was frustrating to read and they’ve made a reappearance here). You generally make an effort to avoid stepping on someone’s toes right? And if you do accidentally step on someone’s toes, you say something like sorry I didn’t see you there, or hey I’m so sorry are you ok. You don’t say that shouldn’t have hurt much you should toughen up. A micro aggression is just the way we talk about really common, systematic ways that our toes get stepped on. Are you a bad person if you accidentally step on someone’s toes once and a while, apologize and try not to do it again? Of course not. But you are being a jerk if someone tells you that you’re stepping on their toes and you tell them to toughen up it’s not that big a deal. Just respect the human in front of you guys.
Agreed. I think the term micro aggression gets overused and has been lumped into the woke snowflake lexicon alongside trigger warnings and safe spaces.

But the underlying premise - that we can all say/do things that don’t reach the level of being overtly bad or offensive, but can cause offense and discomfort and even alienation to some people is certainly valid. I think it’s especially important in medicine as our profession demands we maintain a certain level of rapport with patients and colleagues and it’s easy to harm those relationships.

It’s probably easier to have “don’t be an arse” sessions rather than talk of microaggressions, but if we did that then there would be a whole lot of DEI consultants out of work.

• Dislike
I think it’s ironic that the tipping point for this person of interest at UVA was acts of macro aggression at a micro aggression lecture lol

• Haha