Should I be Worried About PGY1 for Neuro??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have scheduled 6 total PGY-1 only interviews: 3 prelim IM and 3 TYs. Now, I am really scared that this is not enough to get a position....

Members don't see this ad.

I have scheduled 6 total PGY-1 only interviews: 3 prelim IM and 3 TYs. Now, I am really scared that this is not enough to get a position....

No advice...

It's a holiday weekend, and so we might not be getting enough traffic to answer your question. I'm 5 years removed, and a product of the SF Match, so I don't think my own experience would be particularly helpful to you.

As long as the 6 aren't all at highly competitive top-tier programs, it sounds like a decent number. Do you have any neuro interviews with programs that offer 4-year spots?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any neuro interviews with programs that offer 4-year spots?

Too bad if the OP had actually acted within the spirit of this board and shared where he had interviews, it'd be much easier to answer this question.

Secure your PGY 1 spot. There are always PGY 2 spots opening up... 6 interviews are not bad. Count the number of prelim spots available, as they would give u a better handle on your chances of matching. If you are interviewed in 10 places but each would have just 5 prelim spot, vs 3 places with 20 spots--then the 2nd scenario would actually be more favorable. Good luck:luck:

It's a holiday weekend, and so we might not be getting enough traffic to answer your question. I'm 5 years removed, and a product of the SF Match, so I don't think my own experience would be particularly helpful to you.

As long as the 6 aren't all at highly competitive top-tier programs, it sounds like a decent number. Do you have any neuro interviews with programs that offer 4-year spots?

I did apply to categorical programs too, but did not interview at many of those.

For the PGY-1 spots for which I interviewed, there are a total of 73 available spots.

I have above average Step 1 / Step 2 CK scores (> 1 SD), passed Step 2 CS, graduated from foreign medical school (not Carib, reputable place), am a US citizen with strong recs. But, on the interview trail, I met a lot of ophtho and derm candidates -- don't know their profiles, but probably really strong.

Is this really enough... Don't really know about top-tier concerning prelims/TYs. I declined some Prelim IM invitations, but at places/areas that I realized would not be a good match for me (i.e. harsh weather or rural). Cali's tough... I am panicking, any words would be appreciated. Will I have to just rank the categoricals first even if I really liked a few advanced programs more?

Last edited:
Too bad if the OP had actually acted within the spirit of this board and shared where he had interviews, it'd be much easier to answer this question.

My bad, see my post above.