You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Should I be worried that I don't have a job yet?
Started by xoxo111
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You might have to widen your search area or lower your standards. More cold calls in the area you want to be. A first job doesn't/probably won't be a life job
Gotta look harder or you'll be interviewing with Zach Jungles.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're interested in practicing in South Florida send me a private messageTitle. Had a few leads but they always turn out to be garbage offers or don't respond anymore. I am getting a bit worried since it is March and I would like to have a contract signed before June. I am not worried about when I start.
Start widening your net or start looking harder in your vicinity.
If you're not married/ no kids, makes it even easier.
Treat your first job like a practice run. Learn everything you can and let it get you comfortable with being an attending.
You can look to upgrade or start your own afterwards.
If you're not married/ no kids, makes it even easier.
Treat your first job like a practice run. Learn everything you can and let it get you comfortable with being an attending.
You can look to upgrade or start your own afterwards.
Not reassuring but it works out eventually. First job likely won’t be your last so just get something and get experience. I didn’t start right away after residency due to a position falling through and honesty it worked out for the best.
If "not worried about when I start," then there is no timeline.
Offices, groups, hospitals are hiring all year round. There is probably more hiring in spring (new grads to start in suummer), but it goes on year round. It's not as if you miss out if not hired by X date or started by Y.
As has been said, the best you can do is the best you can do. If you're like most of us, you will need to work, get paychecks, start paying loans.
Seriously consider taking your first job more to learn than to earn. You obviously want both, but this is podiatry... it's saturated, and most of us work in BFE and/or are underpaid, overworked. Value a good very well run practice or skilled group (mentorship) or ethical owner doc or good area (if no non-compete) over just $10k or $20k more in salary.
If you have family or partner backing $$, then extend the job search awhile if you want to. Unless money's an issue, no hurry to get started with toenail clips whizzing by your ear or hitting you in the chin? GL
Offices, groups, hospitals are hiring all year round. There is probably more hiring in spring (new grads to start in suummer), but it goes on year round. It's not as if you miss out if not hired by X date or started by Y.
As has been said, the best you can do is the best you can do. If you're like most of us, you will need to work, get paychecks, start paying loans.
Seriously consider taking your first job more to learn than to earn. You obviously want both, but this is podiatry... it's saturated, and most of us work in BFE and/or are underpaid, overworked. Value a good very well run practice or skilled group (mentorship) or ethical owner doc or good area (if no non-compete) over just $10k or $20k more in salary.
If you have family or partner backing $$, then extend the job search awhile if you want to. Unless money's an issue, no hurry to get started with toenail clips whizzing by your ear or hitting you in the chin? GL
Last edited:
JFC, this career takes too long before you start making money if taking a first year attending job is to "learn".Seriously consider taking your first job more to learn than to earn.
Earning should be straight out of residency. I know it's overstated, but other specialties pay the correct deserved amount when they start first year attendinghood. Podiatry should follow suit.
Well, people will do what they like. Fyi, there is no "correct deserved amount." Sorry.JFC, this career takes too long before you start making money if taking a first year attending job is to "learn".
Earning should be straight out of residency. I know it's overstated, but other specialties pay the correct deserved amount when they start first year attendinghood. Podiatry should follow suit.
In case you're unaware, podiatry is highly saturated. That won't change.
I've job searched over a dozen times (and that was three pod schools ago).
All of us have been lowballed, shot down, passed over for other candidates. It's very competitive for the few good DPM jobs. Make your own luck.
I got paid 80k first year out, associate in a very well run, very efficient PP. Ditto for many of my co-residents and personal friends.
Since then, I took other jobs PP, tried MSG, hospital job, pod supergroup, now solo PP thriving on a multi-month wait list (almost unheard of in podiatry).
I am in a good position today largely based on skills I learned in those early low pay PP jobs... and of course much self study.
You are what? Still in residency (I recall many threads complaining how hard it was)? Maybe at associate first job now?
Sorry to say, that entitled 'deseved amount' attitude gets you nothing. It takes hard work, networking for any podiatry job. Also usually helps to have ABFAS BC (BQ at minimum) and a bit of timing luck on finding employed jobs.
...I never said for any current grad to take a $50k fellowship over a $150k job... or to take a $100k NYC PP job over a $220 VA pod job.
But assuming jobs are fairly similar, it is perfectly fair to consider one that has mentorship or solid biz model that will give you ideas for the future, foothold in an area, etc.
But if you (or anyone) want the highest pay right out of school, then PE supergroups are waiting for you... enjoy it.
They are counting on that you will bite and $ign on that 10% higher base salary with PE.
That is the model of the PE pod groups now (and they back the Apma/schools): attract them, trap them.
They are not usually getting the best ppl, but they are getting new ones every year based on greed / naivety of new DPMs $300k+ in debt.
So, go ahead... be that guy/girl. Lmk in a few year how it goes... oh, wait, I'll be retired, so don't. 🙂
I made 83K my first year out of fellowship and 135K my second year. I decided to take that financial "hit" so that I can focus my energies on getting ABFAS certification ASAP thinking it would improve my job prospects moving forward. It didn't! It's not entirely the employers fault either. Insurances control the game and being in clinic just pays that much more, because I chose to pursue surgery I had to take a significant paycut. However, I still think it was worth it to hone my surgical skills and understand the business aspect of our profession. Compared to my friends in other specialties, I find that podiatrists know more about the billing/coding end of things at a deeper level..That being said after almost 5 years out from finishing training I still cant find someone in a metropolitan area that is willing to pay a "doctor's salary." We have to settle for a PA's compensation if we are working for someone else...JFC, this career takes too long before you start making money if taking a first year attending job is to "learn".
Earning should be straight out of residency. I know it's overstated, but other specialties pay the correct deserved amount when they start first year attendinghood. Podiatry should follow suit.
In podiatry, there's only really two major ways to make a decent living that sustainable: work for a hospital directly (which are usually only in rural areas) or open up your own practice. The third way is just doing toenails at nursing homes, but I dont think that lifestyle is sustainable long terms. I personally have some serious toenail fatigue from just clinic, I couldn't imagine just cutting toenails all day going from nursing home to nursing home.
Correct. That's it in a nutshell: hospital employ (Rvu type) or PP owner/partner are the main ways for decent ROI on the DPM degree....getting ABFAS certification...
...We have to settle for a PA's compensation if we are working for someone else...
...In podiatry, there's only really two major ways to make a decent living that sustainable: work for a hospital directly (which are usually only in rural areas) or open up your own practice. ...
Those combined are under a third, probably under a quarter, of all DPMs. Also correct that most podiatry hosp jobs are rural, CAH, smaller hospitals, IHS, etc.
And both of those usually take some buildup (time to get ABFAS and usually a ton of apps to get hospital job... or PP exp and intel and save some $$ up before going solo).
You will have the ppl who can land a hospital job right out of residency... and the ppl who can use family or other $$ to start/buy/assume PP as owner right out of training, but they are pretty small minority.
The common exception might be VA jobs since they are in cities and fairly abundant and ppl frequently get them right from training, but those are about the lowest pay of podiatrist (or any surgeon) hospital jobs. They are still average or a bit above for pod income overall, though.
Regardless, I sure don't think very many people find the "correct deserved amount" very often. Our job market is apples to oranges when compared to graduating MDs, DOs. Supply and demand.
Last edited:
Ah yes good ol ZachGotta look harder or you'll be interviewing with Zach Jungles.
Welcome to podiatryJFC, this career takes too long before you start making money if taking a first year attending job is to "learn".
Earning should be straight out of residency. I know it's overstated, but other specialties pay the correct deserved amount when they start first year attendinghood. Podiatry should follow suit.
You can always voice your concerns to the APMA president-elect who both runs a residency program and also sold out to a large PE firm and is doubly benefiting from the saturation problem in podiatry while failing to acknowledge it.JFC, this career takes too long before you start making money if taking a first year attending job is to "learn".
Earning should be straight out of residency. I know it's overstated, but other specialties pay the correct deserved amount when they start first year attendinghood. Podiatry should follow suit.
I honestly don't see how it gets better if they just want to keep blaming podiatry's problems on low student enrollment rather than publicly acknowledging why prospective doctors don't want to get paid like a midlevel 5 years out of residency.
D
deleted1235332
I do agree that mentorship is important… they keep you out of trouble. You will run into complications and **** yourself and it’s important to have someone there who can talk you off the ledge so you can sleep at night. You won’t trust anything you’re doing yourself at first until you see it work a few times.
probably over a 90% chance your first job isn’t your last. Learn what you can and then decide what you want to do and how to make money off it…
Private equity sucks as I’ve mentioned in another thread. Don’t plan on that being your longterm play. But if they give you the highest starting salary and you feel like you might have a mentor or two there it isn’t the end of the world… I’d just start planning your exit very early in. Eventually if you have any self respect you’ll get sick of divvying up the pie to people who do no work
probably over a 90% chance your first job isn’t your last. Learn what you can and then decide what you want to do and how to make money off it…
Private equity sucks as I’ve mentioned in another thread. Don’t plan on that being your longterm play. But if they give you the highest starting salary and you feel like you might have a mentor or two there it isn’t the end of the world… I’d just start planning your exit very early in. Eventually if you have any self respect you’ll get sick of divvying up the pie to people who do no work
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should be a fan of this model ....just like we need to give public schools, homeless organizations, etc more money. That's why they aren't successful yet. MOAR funding.You can always voice your concerns to the APMA president-elect who both runs a residency program and also sold out to a large PE firm and is doubly benefiting from the saturation problem in podiatry while failing to acknowledge it.
I honestly don't see how it gets better if they just want to keep blaming podiatry's problems on low student enrollment rather than publicly acknowledging why prospective doctors don't want to get paid like a midlevel 5 years out of residency.
work for a hospital directly (which are usually only in rural areas)
Also correct that most podiatry hosp jobs are rural, CAH, smaller hospitals, IHS, etc
This is completely false. Most hospital jobs are in metro areas. The reason people (who don’t work in hospital systems) believe the above quoted statements, is because the hospital jobs in bigger cities are harder to get. They are more competitive, with more applicants. They aren’t less common. All of the largest hospital systems out West, for example, employ podiatrists. Same with the Midwest, most of the northeast, Florida…etc.
Rural jobs are simply the ones you have a greater than 0% chance of getting out of residency. Because they get less applicants, not because there are “more” rural job openings.
Only problem with this is that PE tries to do everything they can to make you get stuck there. The contract I saw in the past from usfas had a bigger non-compete than is actually legal, and with a SIX year 401k vesting period. So unless you don't even plan to contribute to 401k while working for them, you're incentivized to stay there for 6 friggin years to get your full match. Have never in my years seen a vesting period that long before. Not to mention the shenanigans they play with trying to get doctors to buy in and tie their money up for x number of years until they sell to the next PE firm.Private equity sucks as I’ve mentioned in another thread. Don’t plan on that being your longterm play. But if they give you the highest starting salary and you feel like you might have a mentor or two there it isn’t the end of the world… I’d just start planning your exit very early in.
D
deleted1235332
Yes I’m trying to get out of my group now I’ll likely create a thread on the experience once everything is settled. It is crazy what they put in contracts the key is what is enforceable and what isn’tOnly problem with this is that PE tries to do everything they can to make you get stuck there. The contract I saw in the past from usfas had a bigger non-compete than is actually legal, and with a SIX year 401k vesting period. So unless you don't even plan to contribute to 401k while working for them, you're incentivized to stay there for 6 friggin years to get your full match. Have never in my years seen a vesting period that long before. Not to mention the shenanigans they play with trying to get doctors to buy in and tie their money up for x number of years until they sell to the next PE firm.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 38
- Views
- 5K