Should I bother applying 2017-2018 cycle (517/3.11cGPA/2.96sGPA) huge upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bournvita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am falling a little bit into a pit of despair after reading a lot of sdn threads. After two years of post bacc I really want to apply but I know that my GPA is insanely low that I don't know if it will be embarrassing to even try. I just feel burnt out right now, can't concentrate on my classes. Should I consider SMP first?

Indian female
no real trend in GPA during undergrad (2.37 sGPA/2.77cGPA)
517 MCAT
Postbacc GPA 3.85sGPA/3.85cGPA (projected after this semester)
Altogether my GPA would be 2.96 sGPA/3.11 cGPA (projected after this semester)
EC's are pretty good I think.. couple years doing research, then worked in a[redacted], worked at a medical clinic, managed undergrads in teaching [redacted]. Spread some shadowing over a couple specialties.

Would appreciate your honest advice. +1 for any encouraging words haha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No helpful advice to add. Just wanted to say that I admire you turning your life around. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
There are a number of MD schools (and ALL DO) that reward reinvention.

I suggest:
Your state MD schools
Any DO (except Wm Carey, Touro-NY and LUCOM)
BU
Tulane
U Miami
Drexel
Rosy Franklin
GWU
Wayne State
Columbia
UCSF
Vandy
Duke
Pitt
NYMC
Dartmouth
Albany

I am falling a little bit into a pit of despair after reading a lot of sdn threads. After two years of post bacc I really want to apply but I know that my GPA is insanely low that I don't know if it will be embarrassing to even try. I just feel burnt out right now, can't concentrate on my classes. Should I consider SMP first?

NJ resident
Non-HYP Ivy League school undergrad
Indian female
no real trend in GPA during undergrad (2.37 sGPA/2.77cGPA)
517 MCAT
Postbacc GPA 3.85sGPA/3.85cGPA (projected after this semester)
Altogether my GPA would be 2.96 sGPA/3.11 cGPA (projected after this semester)
EC's are pretty good I think.. couple years doing research in a neuro lab, then worked in a psych ward, worked at a medical clinic for homeless people, managed undergrads in teaching neuroscience to inner city high school kids. Spread some shadowing over a couple specialties. Nothing too eye catching but a lot of time spent in these EC's

Would appreciate your honest advice. +1 for any encouraging words haha

Well if you have 2 years of a post bacc with straight A's, and a 96th percentile MCAT, I think you've done enough to show that you can handle a medical school's curriculum. The only thing they would be worried about is if you would relapse into your old habits, which would require you to explain what happened, and how you plan on preventing it.

I suggest:
Your state MD schools
BU
Tulane
U Miami
Drexel
Rosy Franklin
GWU
Wayne State
Columbia
UCSF
Vandy
Duke
Pitt
NYMC
Dartmouth
Albany
Thank you for your reply. I guess I am going to go ahead and apply. I assume I should also be ready to reapply. Should I keep taking undergrad classes? Or seek a SMP or a masters program?

Also thank you to other people who responded here, I appreciate the encouragement and would welcome additional advice.

See how the app cycle shakes out first.

Thank you for your reply. I guess I am going to go ahead and apply. I assume I should also be ready to reapply. Should I keep taking undergrad classes? Or seek a SMP or a masters program?

Also thank you to other people who responded here, I appreciate the encouragement and would welcome additional advice.

Reactions: 1 users
You definitely have a chance! Apply broadly and make sure you note in your application that you changed your study methods to do super well in courses, but you definitely have a chance at MD and DO

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
altho i can't give any substantial advice since i'm applying this cycle too, i think you definitely have a shot of getting in considering your great MCAT score! also, nice username lol

Reactions: 1 user

I suggest:
Your state MD schools
BU
Tulane
U Miami
Drexel
Rosy Franklin
GWU
Wayne State
Columbia
UCSF
Vandy
Duke
Pitt
NYMC
Dartmouth
Albany

Why not Wm Carey, Touro-NY and LUCOM?

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will update here next year, hopefully with good news.

LUCOM: Incompetent teaching; offensive politics of their parent organization
Wm Carey: Poor COMLEX pass rates
Touro-NY COM: Poor COMLEX II pass rates for a now veteran school; unethical behavior in response to incompetence which led to overbooked acceptances.
Why not Wm Carey, Touro-NY and LUCOM?

Just wanted to update with some good news- I have been accepted at a mid tier MD school, with one more MD interview coming up. I took a gamble and got very, very lucky. Happy holidays everyone.

Reactions: 10 users
Just wanted to update with some good news- I have been accepted at a mid tier MD school, with one more MD interview coming up. I took a gamble and got very, very lucky. Happy holidays everyone.

Hi! I was following this forum and I'm so happy to hear you've been accepted.
Can you explain to me what you took postbacc and what exactly that means?
I'm kind of in the same boat as you... except I just made a really low grade in molecular biology. I need all the advice I can get :(

Congratulations, that's wonderful news! Where did you receive interviews if you don't mind saying?