MD Should I bother applying to TX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrOMG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am wondering if I should apply to TX as an OOS applicant or if it is a waste of time. I have a solid app the only weakness is my MCAT which is a 29 (11/9/9). On the plus side I am a military veteran. I was an Air Force Medic for four years and I know that TX in general loves the military with their conservative side. So what do you think? Everything else on my app is solid. Solid ECs, LORs, and GPA. I just don't want to waste my money since I am broke.

Members don't see this ad.

Might be something worth investigating especially if you can get in-state tuition...

Unfortunately, the only veterans I've heard of who went to Texas for med school already lived there when applying.

In either case if you're willing to spend the extra time on TMDSAS i'd give it a shot but focus on military friendly cities like San Antonio and El Paso.

Also it can't hurt to call or email schools. Ask to speak to the dean of admissions (not a secretary) and explain your situation. They should be able to give you a firm answer as to how your application will be evaluated (IS pool vs. OOS pool) and whether it would be worth applying there given your stats.

Strongly suggest that you contact Admissions deans to see if you're competitive. i suspect that your veteran status might make you so.

And many thanks for your service to our country!

Ok so I am wondering if I should apply to TX as an OOS applicant or if it is a waste of time. I have a solid app the only weakness is my MCAT which is a 29 (11/9/9). On the plus side I am a military veteran. I was an Air Force Medic for four years and I know that TX in general loves the military with their conservative side. So what do you think? Everything else on my app is solid. Solid ECs, LORs, and GPA. I just don't want to waste my money since I am broke.

I'm in the same boat as you (good app but lowish mcat) and I'm OOS but still applying... the TMDSAS isn't that expensive and I've heard of people OOS with similar stats getting interviews! Good luck!