Which of these schools should I not bother applying to/completing secondaries for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of deciding which secondaries to actually complete (shouldn't have applied in the first place) and/or which schools to add/remove from my post-verification additions. Money is tight, so I'm trying to trim any unnecessary secondaries.

I have 550 clinical hours and 150 non-clinical hours from 1 activity over 2 years. No research.

3.3 sGPA, 3.19 cGPA, 3.98 postbacc @ 60 units, 518 MCAT. My poor GPA comes from math/stats classes from UG, and my BCP work in post-bacc has been all A's and 1 A-.

I did not realize Creighton and Gtown were very service-oriented, so I am thinking I should just take the primary fee loss and not bother with the secondaries at these school.

Also, Kaiser looks crazy competitive with their 50-person class size and 6k+ apps, so idk if my stats warrant actually submitting the secondary.

I am a CA resident with ties to NY (graduated HS from NY).

The schools I applied to are: UCSF, UCI, USC, Tufts, Emory, Kaiser, Case, Dartmouth, Wake Forest, Wayne State, CUSM, Netter, Albany, Hackensack, Drexel, GW, Tulane, MCW, Temple, Jefferson, SUNY Downstate, Upstate, Creighton, Gtown, Vermont, Nova, Rosy Franklin

The schools I am thinking of adding: Western Michigan, Hofstra, maybe Pitt and Stony Brook?

I'll be completing all the secondaries for the 13 DO schools I applied to (PCOM, NYITCOM, KCOM, KCU, ACOM, Western CA and Oregon, PNW, DMU, Touro CA and NV, VCOM, RVUCOM)

Are any of these schools research-loving and unlikely to consider my research-less app? From your experiences, are any of these schools simply not worth the $100+ secondary fee with my stats/ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
are you a re-applicant? if so, did you make it to the interview stage at any schools last time?

I am not a re-applicant. This is my first cycle, and I'm applying to both MD and DO schools, hoping this is my only cycle.

I am considering using the secondary money at low-yield schools like Tulane, Tufts, GW, etc. and maybe applying to more DO schools instead. I understand there are schools that reward reinvention, but at 10k+ apps and few hundred interview spots, I'm not sure if that'd be money well spent.

Do you have any advice with what schools to potentially remove and/or add?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a re-applicant. This is my first cycle, and I'm applying to both MD and DO schools, hoping this is my only cycle.

I am considering using the secondary money at low-yield schools like Tulane, Tufts, GW, etc. and maybe applying to more DO schools instead. I understand there are schools that reward reinvention, but at 10k+ apps and few hundred interview spots, I'm not sure if that'd be money well spent.

Do you have any advice with what schools to potentially remove and/or add?
I think the 4 you are considering adding are a reasonable match for your profile, except Pitt mentioning participation in research in their list of things they look for

Reactions: 1 users
I think the 4 you are considering adding are a reasonable match for your profile, except Pitt mentioning participation in research in their list of things they look for

Thank you. I think I will remove Tulane, GW, Creighton, GT, and Rosalind Franklin and add Hofstra, Stony Brook, and WM.