Should I bother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabreez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would like some brutally honest advice as to whether I should try to apply to MD schools. I had a terrible semester back in freshman year, so realistically the highest AMCAS GPA I can achieve is 3.3overall and 3.4science (this is assuming primarily As in premed classes). I am a URM, but considering pending legal matters (Fisher V Texas) I'm unsure of whether URM status will even be a factor when I apply.

So two qs:
1) If I can manage As is it worth it to apply to MD schools with this low GPA?
2) Would adcoms be more forgiving of my prior grades after I get As in physics/orgo?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bother TBH...consider going to graduate school or something.

I wouldn't bother TBH...consider going to graduate school or something.

I'm asking about MD schools, if not I'd apply to DOs not grad school. Can you please elaborate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you would have a VERY difficult time getting into MD school, regardless of what your MCAT will be. I would save the money and hold off on applying there-maybe just do 1 or 2 low-tier schools. On the other hand, I think you will have a very good chance of getting into a DO school; in fact, they are made for candidates just like yourself! If you improve your grades and get a decent DO MCAT (27-28+), you should be fine.

What are you talking about^? Just crush the MCAT and things change completely. Many schools will overlook your GPA for a high MCAT. Sadly, 4 years of undergrad can be overlooked for a test that takes about 2-3 months to prepare for

What are you talking about^? Just crush the MCAT and things change completely. Many schools will overlook your GPA for a high MCAT. Sadly, 4 years of undergrad can be overlooked for a test that takes about 2-3 months to prepare for

Umm what world are you living in? NO MD school will be ok with a mediocre GPA. I'm just trying to be realistic and help this person not waste money and actually have a chance in fulfilling his dream of becoming a physician. That's like saying a MD school would be ok with a 4.00 GPA and a 19-20 MCAT...they wouldn't. Get a grasp on reality, dude.

Right.... because 99% of us can be 99th percentile if we just apply ourselves :confused:

This "just crush the mcat" sentiment is a little silly. If it was just that easy more people would do it.

I don't think we got the sarcasm here...I apologize. haha

Wow, you're really funny. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: BTW, if you read my OP you'd see my question was concerning whether they'd be forgiving of low grades in non-STEM classes if I aced the prerequisites.

Every dream is worth pursuing. Get As from now on, study hard for mcat, and apply. You can also do grade replacement for DO school. Use search button to look into that. Also explore the pre-osteo forum; they tend to be quite supportive.

If you could get to a 3.4ish I definitely think you have a chance with a good mcat score. Plenty of lower tier MD schools accept students around there and being URM will help hopefully. DO schools would be a good bet as well. Definitely worth trying if it is your dream just get the grades up as high as possible.

Every dream is worth pursuing. Get As from now on, study hard for mcat, and apply. You can also do grade replacement for DO school. Use search button to look into that. Also explore the pre-osteo forum; they tend to be quite supportive.

Every dream is worth CRUSHING.

But honestly, getting into MD is going to be very hard with 3.3/3.4. People do it, so maybe it's worth a try, but pursuing a postbacc and crushing it might work better. Or pursuing a masters, and being an unusual applicant might help you in the grand scheme of things.

I'd say, if you want to make the 3ish month commitment, and study for/take the MCAT....if you get 30+, apply to some schools. If not, I wouldn't waste your time or money.