Should I buy a new car for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to medical schools this June, which means I will start medical school in around a year if I am lucky enough to get in.

Right now I have around 20-30k available to buy a car. I've worked quite a bit throughout college, and I am currently working part time at a relative's IT business.

I am currently living at home, so a car isn't a necessity. But my parents strongly believe that a car is a must during medical school, so they are really urging me to buy my own car right now so I can "grow into it" before medical school starts.

I am not a car guy, and buying a new car right now is the last of my concerns. But then again, a car will probably be necessary once medical school starts, and I might as well get one now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dont bother buying it right now. Depending on where you get in, you may or may not need one. Granted, most medical schools are in suburban or rural areas, you'll likely need one, but if you end up in a city school it'll be more of a hassle.

Reactions: 2 users
My opinion:
why don't you wait until you actually get into a school?
What if you don't get in this cycle? Are your stats that impressive that you are sure you will land a spot?
If you don't get in, that's couple hundred/thousand in insurance and maintenance that you could have kept for a year. And you would be buying a "newer" car next year before starting school.
Who needs time "growing into" a car? It's not like that 30k will buy you a lambo...

By the way, Hyundai, suzuki, subaru, nissan, kia, lexus, and acura are asian car companies also.

And is a car necessary for med school? like in NY, public trans is good enough that I don't think you NEED a car. But, I'm sure it will help and I wouldn't mind it.
But what do I know.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion:
why don't you wait until you actually get into a school?
What if you don't get in this cycle? Are your stats that impressive that you are sure you will land a spot?
If you don't get in, that's couple hundred/thousand in insurance and maintenance that you could have kept for a year. And you would be buying a "newer" car next year before starting school.
Who needs time "growing into" a car? It's not like that 30k will buy you a lambo...

By the way, Hyundai, suzuki, subaru, nessan, kia, lexus, and acura are asian car companies also.

And is a car necessary for med school? like in NY, public trans is good enough that I don't think you NEED a car. But, I'm sure it will help and I wouldn't mind it.
But what do I know.

Thanks for your response.

Like I said, I do NOT want to buy a car now, and I feel that a car isn't needed in medical school. I am also somewhat uncertain about my chances (3.5+ cGPA, 3.25+ sGPA, retook a 26 MCAT), and I still have to gather up recommendation letters and tie up loose ends. So that's why I originally said that buying a car is the LEAST of my concerns right now!

But my parents are pressuring me right now, and it has become pretty unbearable.

And I believe Lexus and Acura are luxury brands, something I do not want at all.

I think the most important thing right now is to convince my parents to drop the whole "buy a car now" mindset.

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, but their potent mix of traditional Indian immigrant mentality and bizarre idiosyncratic beliefs (aka "growing into a car") is making me a little insane.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I have traditional Korean parents and they aren't any better... But, it's time for us to be more independent now.
But I plan on keeping the car that I have (2007 honda accord) until end of residency, if it doesn't die on me.
I'm applying as well with very similar stats so good luck to both of us.

Get a used, reliable car. No offense, but it makes no sense to me to blow $20k+ on a brand new beetle. And if you don't need a car now, don't buy one now.

Reactions: 3 users
This is dumb. You don't know where you will end up and beetles are horrible for locations with winter because they are so low to the ground. Also that's just way to much money you can buy a reliable vehicle for 5000 that will last through med school and residency.

you can do a lot better than a beetle with 20-30k. i wouldn't spend 20-30 dollars for that ugly car but you're definitely going to need a car since the majority of DO schools aren't in the downtown parts of big cities.

Reactions: 1 users
For me I also might get a car if I have to but it depends where I go. I would prefer just taking a train to school if possible. Although I have been driving for years, I always prefer public transportation. I like taking 30min naps on trains rather than driving :).

Wait

If you don't need one right now then wait.

When you get accepted then treat yourself

be a real man and get yourself a used s-class

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I-can-get-u4qkb3.jpg

You won't need a car your first 2 years, but you will need a car in your 3rd and 4th year. You may or may not need a car in residency.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT buy a VW. Take it from me, I bought one used last year as a "commute to the hospital" car and it has been the worst mistake of my life.

For my money I'd go for a certified used car. They generally come with an extended warranty and they're rep'for by a factory mechanic.

I'm married and need 2 cars, so I just got a 2014 Subaru legacy for a little under $20K for my wife and kids to drive in. It was a dealer demo model, so they had loaned it to customers who's cars were in for service. It had ~2K miles on it and it is the premium model; it was in pristine condition (still had the tag hanging from the glovebox) But they sold it as used, and they certified it so it has a 100k mile power train warranty. For another $800 I got a 100K mile factory backed bumper to bumper warranty.

On this car, I may never use the warranty, but it's a nice insurance policy/peace of mind that I'm covered if something happens a few years down the road in residency/fellowship where funds will still be tight.

You can find similar buys from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai etc.

But don't get a VW, you'll regret it.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/

Buy something that gets good mileage, can last from now through your first few years as an attending, and will be able to carry all of your things across country. Those are the only essential qualities. Personally I am looking at buying a Honda fit.

Edit: Actually read the thread this time.

Just tell your parents you want to get everything settled before buying a car, let them know that you need to focus on getting into school before anything else. If you are planning to pay in full when you buy it, it should take less than a day to figure everything out.

Last edited:
Do not, I repeat DO NOT buy a VW. Take it from me, I bought one used last year as a "commute to the hospital" car and it has been the worst mistake of my life.

For my money I'd go for a certified used car. They generally come with an extended warranty and they're rep'for by a factory mechanic.

I'm married and need 2 cars, so I just got a 2014 Subaru legacy for a little under $20K for my wife and kids to drive in. It was a dealer demo model, so they had loaned it to customers who's cars were in for service. It had ~2K miles on it and it is the premium model; it was in pristine condition (still had the tag hanging from the glovebox) But they sold it as used, and they certified it so it has a 100k mile power train warranty. For another $800 I got a 100K mile factory backed bumper to bumper warranty.

On this car, I may never use the warranty, but it's a nice insurance policy/peace of mind that I'm covered if something happens a few years down the road in residency/fellowship where funds will still be tight.

You can find similar buys from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai etc.

But don't get a VW, you'll regret it.

I am honestly surprised that so many people have negative experiences with VW. I mean, their commercials make it sound like they are the most reliable brand on the market (the highest number of cars with 100k+ miles running on the streets). But then I don't know much about cars.

I am honestly surprised that so many people have negative experiences with VW. I mean, their commercials make it sound like they are the most reliable brand on the market (the highest number of cars with 100k+ miles running on the streets). But then I don't know much about cars.

Sean oh sean. You can't believe any of those things....
S-class refers to one of the higher classes of mercedes benz.

Sean oh sean. You can't believe any of those things....
S-class refers to one of the higher classes of mercedes benz.

Haha, I am definitely a novice when it comes to cars. But several of our close family friends all own various makes of VW, and from what I know, they never had any problems with it.

Well, my best (and now educated) guess, is that once you buy a VW and it starts having issues on a regular basis, which is quite early on in the car's life) you will have a hard time getting rid of it.

I can't in good conscience sell my VW to someone else. And I can't just junk it, it cost far too muh for that. So I keep throwing money at it to keep it on the road. $60 here, $90 there, $2,200 a month ago. I've literally spent as much in repairs as I spent on the car in the first place. Every-time I thought "this will fix it once and for all" and every time the problem has either quickly returned, or another, new problem has come up.

Just save yourself the hassle and buy Japanese or a newer Hyundai. The only way I could even think of recommending a VW is if you are good at fixing your own cars, and liked doing it all the time. I'm OK with a wrench, but I hate doing it, and I don't really have the time to these days either, and that's been a real problem for me.

Why would you spend 20-30k on a VW?

Tell your parents all the bad things that can happen to you if you buy the car now. Come up with a list of cons. Maybe they will get off your back. They seem to think this is what's good for you.
It's definitely not smart to buy a car in advance.

I am in a situation now where I could buy a car and will have to within 6 months, but since I'm making due on my bike, I'm not getting a car. Don't waste money on insurance now.

Certified used is a safe way to get a cheaper car. Definitely try that route. They often have 2-3 year old cars with low mileage for much cheaper. They still look awesome and have nice features.

I'm attending a rural DO school, and I couldn't imagine being there without a car. I think I was actually asked at one of my interviews if I have reliable transportation because of the travel needs for the rural clinics in the area. If I were in your situation, I would spend $10-12k on a used Honda or Toyota and keep the rest for cushion.

Edit: On second thought, I would maybe splurge and get a new car. I got my honda brand new for $16k, and that thing is a champ. Just hit 70k miles and all I've had to buy was oil and gas. 38mpg doesn't hurt either.

on a more serious note, the OP could go to carmax and pick out a certified used car when the time comes. they slightly overcharge at carmax, but the peace of mind that comes with their guarantee is worth it imo, especially when it comes to used cars.

Dude... save your money until you need it. If you never end up needing a car, save that money and pay towards tuition once you use up all of your subsidized loans. You'll thank me when you get your final school balance at the end of fourth year and see how much 6.8% interest sucks.

The newer Beetles are problematic - ask any mechanic. A $20k Honda or Toyota will easily last you from MS-1 through residency with zero issues.

if you're going to drop 20-30k on a new car i wouldn't get something that's going to be a "chick repellent"

My mom had a Beetle in the early 2000s, and it was plagued with issues.

You may want to consider leasing, as well. There are lease deals that cover all maintenance-- month-to-month cost may be a tad higher, but you never have to pay for any service for it.

Get a used, reliable car. No offense, but it makes no sense to me to blow $20k+ on a brand new beetle. And if you don't need a car now, don't buy one now.

This a million times. First off, don't buy anything yet. Wait until you see where you're going. Maybe you'll end up at a place with an amazing public transportation system (like NYC) and having a car might actually be a burden, or maybe you'll end up at place in the mountains with tons of snow, so you'll need an AWD vehicle. Just wait for now.

Second, you can buy some amazing cars for that price range and with the characteristics you described (<$30k and non-domestic). Don't waste all your money on a car that will depreciate the most in the first 3 years. At most buy a recent used car with relatively low miles that has ok-good resale. Most will last you >4 yrs of med school and you should be able to bank away some of that money.

Unless you are getting all the money for med school from your parents, its a much more sound investment for you to buy a $10k car, and you to take out $20k less in loans (which by the time you graduate will be $25k in compound interest - IF the interest rates stay where they are - and after a 3yr residency will be $30k). You'd be much better off saving that extra money and buying a new car/recent used when you actually have an income (i.e. in residency) at a low or 0% APR.

...On this car, I may never use the warranty, but it's a nice insurance policy/peace of mind that I'm covered if something happens a few years down the road in residency/fellowship where funds will still be tight....

Yeah, you might not, but its good to have. Every Subaru my extended family has had (~5 altogether, 4 of which were Outbacks) made it well into 130k miles without even needing to be in a shop (just oil changes and regular maintenance). I could also say the same about my family's Volvos, but the difference is when something does go wrong with the Volvo it will and has cost a ton of money (unless its a pre-1995 Volvo).

Last edited:
Too many responses for me to read what other have said, but if you don't need a car right now, I wouldn't get one until you decide which medical school to attend! At many schools, you won't want/need a car because you'll have everything within walking distance. I'd just wait a while. Also, if you're going to buy a car, I'd DEFINITELY spend under 10K and use the rest to cover living expenses. You can get a great slightly used car for 10K and under. 20K less in loans means 40-60 less to pay back.

This a million times. First off, don't buy anything yet. Wait until you see where you're going. Maybe you'll end up at a place with an amazing public transportation system (like NYC) and having a car might actually be a burden, or maybe you'll end up at place in the mountains with tons of snow, so you'll need an AWD vehicle. Just wait for now.

Second, you can buy some amazing cars for that price range and with the characteristics you described (<$30k and non-domestic). Don't waste all your money on a car that will depreciate the most in the first 3 years. At most buy a recent used car with relatively low miles that has ok-good resale. Most will last you >4 yrs of med school and you should be able to bank away some of that money.

Unless you are getting all the money for med school from your parents, its a much more sound investment for you to buy a $10k car, and you to take out $20k less in loans (which by the time you graduate will be $25k in compound interest - IF the interest rates stay where they are - and after a 3yr residency will be $30k). You'd be much better off saving that extra money and buying a new car/recent used when you actually have an income (i.e. in residency) at a low or 0% APR.

Yeah, you might not, but its good to have. Every Subaru my extended family has had (~5 altogether, 4 of which were Outbacks) made it well into 130k miles without even needing to be in a shop (just oil changes and regular maintenance). I could also say the same about my family's Volvos, but the difference is when something does go wrong with the Volvo it will and has cost a ton of money (unless its a pre-1995 Volvo).
Ok he said almost the same thing as me. I guess I should have read one or two posts. Basically, all things mentioned here are great things to consider. It's your money so obviously you'll do what you want, but spending all your money on a brand new car (consider the huge depreciation) is just unwise.

This thread is an instant classic. I can't stop laughing

I'll be applying to medical schools this June, which means I will start medical school in around a year if I am lucky enough to get in.

Right now I have around 20-30k available to buy a car. I've worked quite a bit throughout college, and I am currently working part time at a relative's IT business.

I am currently living at home, so a car isn't a necessity. But my parents strongly believe that a car is a must during medical school, so they are really urging me to buy my own car right now so I can "grow into it" before medical school starts.

I am not a car guy, and buying a new car right now is the last of my concerns. But then again, a car will probably be necessary once medical school starts, and I might as well get one now.

Basically, my parents are not going to care which car I buy if they meet the following two criteria. 1) the car cannot be over 30k, and 2) the car cannot be an American car (my parents are Indian and it has been futile convincing them of the impressive strides made by US automakers). So if I am going to buy my own car, I might as well buy one that I'll enjoy and can last a long, long time. I am not a fan of the usual Hondas and Toyotas (they are pretty bland and soulless), but I am very fond of VW vehicles. Right now, I am thinking about buying the newest version of the VW beetle, which costs between 20-30k, depending on options.

Is this a wise choice? I've heard polar opposite things regarding the reliability of VW vehicles, but if I am going to buy a car, I might as well get one I really like. And I just love the way the new beetle look. Here's an image:

Surprised no one here said anything about a hybrid? Then again, I did just glance through the comments..
I believe your parents want you to buy a car now so you can get used to driving it around and get a 'feel' for the car..but that doesn't make sense to me. First day I got my car, I was fine.

Here are my thoughts:
- As a car owner, I don't care what you drive, but I care about how much mileage you get. If you drive a 4 door sedan and get 15 mpg, I'm going to laugh because my 4-door sedan (Honda Civic) gets at least 25 mpg if I drive pretty fast. The days I get close to 36-38 mpg are good days. With this, GAS is your biggest concern.
- Maintenance. I'd rather drive a Honda, go to the shop once every 3 months than drive a BMW/luxury car and have to visit every 3 days. Also, cost of maintenance is of concern as well. I think my cousin pays around $50-60 for his oil change for his Lexus. I can get mine for an easy $20-30. Although, ignore if you know how to change your oil.
- Car insurance. Don't know if you'll be paying and I'm sure you've already thought of it, but just reiterating..
- I'd prob choose 4 door over 2..that Beetle is one, ugly and two, no one's going to want to get in that with you..
- Have you considered a hybrid? If I could trade in my Civic for a Prius or a Leaf (although I'm a bit weary about Nissan..), I'd probably do it.
- Since it's your first car, don't splurge. It's supposed to be a crappy car so it can humble you until you can afford a better one (like an Acura or Cadillac. Cadillac's take regular gas!)

All in all, I think you should find something with good mileage, used car over new, save that extra cash for etc costs, and consider hybrid.
My recommendation is to go with a used Honda or Toyota or Hyundai.

Surprised no one here said anything about a hybrid? Then again, I did just glance through the comments..
I believe your parents want you to buy a car now so you can get used to driving it around and get a 'feel' for the car..but that doesn't make sense to me. First day I got my car, I was fine.

Here are my thoughts:
- As a car owner, I don't care what you drive, but I care about how much mileage you get. If you drive a 4 door sedan and get 15 mpg, I'm going to laugh because my 4-door sedan (Honda Civic) gets at least 25 mpg if I drive pretty fast. The days I get close to 36-38 mpg are good days. With this, GAS is your biggest concern.
- Maintenance. I'd rather drive a Honda, go to the shop once every 3 months than drive a BMW/luxury car and have to visit every 3 days. Also, cost of maintenance is of concern as well. I think my cousin pays around $50-60 for his oil change for his Lexus. I can get mine for an easy $20-30. Although, ignore if you know how to change your oil.
- Car insurance. Don't know if you'll be paying and I'm sure you've already thought of it, but just reiterating..
- I'd prob choose 4 door over 2..that Beetle is one, ugly and two, no one's going to want to get in that with you..
- Have you considered a hybrid? If I could trade in my Civic for a Prius or a Leaf (although I'm a bit weary about Nissan..), I'd probably do it.
- Since it's your first car, don't splurge. It's supposed to be a crappy car so it can humble you until you can afford a better one (like an Acura or Cadillac. Cadillac's take regular gas!)

All in all, I think you should find something with good mileage, used car over new, save that extra cash for etc costs, and consider hybrid.
My recommendation is to go with a used Honda or Toyota or Hyundai.

I most likely won't end up buying the beetle (most likely will get a Japanese model if I end up needing a car), but I have to emphatically disagree with this statement!

I absolutely love the way the beetle looks.

I most likely won't end up buying the beetle (most likely will get a Japanese model if I end up needing a car), but I have to emphatically disagree with this statement!

I absolutely love the way the beetle looks.

Ahah well agree to disagree. Glad I could help!

Surprised no one here said anything about a hybrid? Then again, I did just glance through the comments.

If you do get a hybrid, steer clear of the Hondas. Their cars are generally known for rock solid reliability, but for some reason they can't seem to get the batteries right in their hybrid vehicles. And batteries in hybrids cost $$$$$ to replace.

Better to stick with the Prius or another Toyota model if buying hybrid.

I personally don't think you can go wrong with the regular Honda Civic, Subaru Impreza, Mazda3, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra, Nissan Sentra. Perhaps in that order.

The Subaru is Consumer Reports top pick in this category, and it's excellent in terms of safety and residual value. It also has features like Bluetooth and all wheel drive standard. Gas mileage is good, but the all wheel drive makes it less than if could be, and a little less than the rest of the cars on my list in general. And it also makes some things more expensive/complicated in terms of maintenance. For example, you must replace all 4 tires together on a subaru vehicle. If one or more tires is a different circumference because it's more (or less) worn than the rest, it can put strain on the all wheel drive system and cause damage. Still, they are excellent vehicles and if it were me, that's probably the car I'd buy.

The Honda is always an instant classic, and you don't have to worry much about reliability. You'll probably drive it till 175,000 miles without having to do much but basic maintenance. And they get great gas mileage. Residual value is generally good with these cars too. One potential negative is that Hondas are among the most sought after cars for car theif's.

The Mazda3 is also an excellent car, I had one of them a decade or so ago. Think of it like a little sports car, but one that gets great gas mileage and is extremely reliable. These cars are seriously fun to drive. It would probably be my second choice in this group personally.

The Toyota is a lot like the civic, with a similar fuel economy and reliability profile. Main difference is that there aren't a lot of teenagers souping up Corollas so the chances of your car being a target for theft are smaller than with a Civic.

Hyundai Elantra. Not long ago I wouldn't have recommended this car. Hyundai is only recently (within the last few years) making cars of decent quality. But they do an excellent job now and their cars are very affordable. Their business model is to pack as many features into the car as possible while still being able to sell it for a similar price to the competing makes. My Mother just bought an elantra, a 2013 model but it was brand new (still left on the lot). It had bluetooth, heated seats, satellite radio, and a sporty styling with 16" alloy wheels. She got it for $15,800; a seriously good deal, but it would only have been around $17K in 2013 which is less than a similarly equipped car from one of the other manufacturers. All hyundai's come with an above average warranty (60K bumper to bumper, 100K powertrain).

Nissan. I've owned nissans and always had excellent luck. And the sentra seems like a nice car. It get great fuel economy (maybe the best of all the cars I'm listing). And it has a conservative styling that I kind of like. But predicted reliability isn't that high. It's not bad, but it's not as high as the rest. My mom looked at one of these before ultimately going with the Hyundai. My sister has a 2006 Sentra though, and it's held up admirably considering that she neither knows, nor cares, about maintaining he thing. I've never had major issues with Nissan and I find their factory tech's to be the best I've dealt with. They even fixed a power window under warranty when my warranty was ~10k miles expired (they told me it was probably starting to fail when my warranty was in force).

As you can tell, I've been in the market recently. So I figured I could share my research with you.

The only thing I can tell you about waiting vs. Buying now is that there are some excellent deals to be had at the moment. Most makes are getting ready for their 2015 models, which means there's a huge push to get the 2014's (and any 2013's) off the lot. If you're extremely firm on price, and you negotiate hard, you can walk out with a very good deal. You could save yourself a few thousand dollars quite easily right now.

Last edited:
Great stuff, SLC. In the market myself right now and did not know about the batteries on the Civic hybrids. Otherwise you mentioned a lot of the same cars I'm looking at.

Really-Crappy-Cars.jpg

I would recommend a car similar to this

Last edited:

I think the kind of people that buy brand new VWs are the type of people that drop off their cars at the dealer every year for $600 maintenance. And they probably drop tons of cash for every other repair that comes up.

Also, girl car. Maybe you didn't know since you had no idea what an S-class is but I just wanted to let you know. Sorry. But there's nothing wrong with that if you don't care I guess.

One other thing that I'm big on is looking for a car with a timing chain instead of a timing belt. This is one area where a VW can potentially ruin your life :mad:

In my VW, which is admittedly about a decade old, there is a timing belt. Don't worry too much about what it does, just know the car can't run without it. A car can have either a timing belt or a timing chain. The belt is made of steel belted rubber-type material, and the chain made of steel. Belts wear out and need to be replaced periodically, like every 60K miles or so. This is a $600 service on average. Timing chains are designed to never need replacing, so that's a $0 service on average.

Now what if you decide to neglect the timing belt, and you don't go get your 60K mile maintenance done? Well it could snap on you and if you're lucky (in a Honda or similar non-interference engine'd car) you'll be stranded until you can get the car to the shop to have it repaired. If you're unlucky and you happen to be driving a VW like mine, which is an interference engine, then you could bend a rod or damage a piston. That's going to require a new engine or an engine rebuild (get ready to spend $2K minimum).

So look for a timing chain if at all possible. I know the Hyundai Elantra now has one, as does the Impreza and I think the Corolla (my old one did), Mazda3, and Sentra. I know the Civic has a belt, but it's a non-interference engine so it's not a huge deal.

Really-Crappy-Cars.jpg

I would recommend a car similar to this
Now that's a SWAGGER WAGON if there ever was one! :bow: ...Talk about shooting fish in a barrel when it comes to getting the ladies when a "soon to be doctor" comes rolling in on those four wheels!!!

Can anyone comment on the reliability/quality of Ford vehicles?

I always viewed Ford as the best/most reliable of the American car brands, and to my knowledge, they are the only one of the Big Three that didn't take government bail-out money when the economy tanked.

I always viewed Ford as the best/most reliable of the American car brands, and to my knowledge, they are the only one of the Big Three that didn't take government bail-out money when the economy tanked.
In my opinion, any American car you get that is about a 2008 or later is going to be of pretty similar quality.

edward-norton-laptop-gif.gif

All depends on upkeep. Treat the car right and it will be fine (in most cases). My friend bought a Mustang brand new in 2005 (not exactly a quality vehicle) but he meticulously drove it and just did frequent oil changes. He eventually traded it in a couple months ago with ~120k miles on it and the only thing he ever replaced was a battery and front brake pads. Cosmetically, the interior was holding on by a thread and door panels peeled/bubbled off long ago, as well as the paint fading significantly. Ford was never known for quality or attention to detail lol. My point is that most cars should suit you right if you are responsible with it.

So I'm a huge car guy- obviously I have a Honda. I got it Certified Preowned with an extended warranty for $16k and so far nothing has gone wrong. It's a fun car to drive and starts 100% of the time, and gets me where I'm going. I chose my Honda over a brand new Ford Focus because even though Ford is my top choice for American cars, they simply cannot match the reliability of a Honda. Do yourself a favor and keep your money in the bank- invest in a dealer certified used car.

So I'm a huge car guy- obviously I have a Honda. I got it Certified Preowned with an extended warranty for $16k and so far nothing has gone wrong. It's a fun car to drive and starts 100% of the time, and gets me where I'm going. I chose my Honda over a brand new Ford Focus because even though Ford is my top choice for American cars, they simply cannot match the reliability of a Honda. Do yourself a favor and keep your money in the bank- invest in a dealer certified used car.

Solid advice. I bought a 2006 dodge stratus in 2008. It was a hertz certified car, had only 24k miles on it, and I paid $6k for it. It's a no frills car and was definitely a downgrade from my silverado 2500, but it has run like a champ. It's got 90k miles on it now and I've only had to replace the battery.

I wouldn't spend that much on a car right before school. You can either use that money towards loans, or if you won't have loans then you can afford a much better car afterwards. If you need winter driving you can look into a subaru or audi, if not then your options are wide open.