Should I call the school I want to attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderGrad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway.

I took the April MCAT, and didn't do too well. My score is above the minimum to apply, but it's certainly not winning me any points.

I was planning on retaking in August. However, my practice tests are no better than my first test, and some have been even lower. I don't feel like I will do any better if I take the test in August.

I haven't sent in my primary application and am wondering if I should apply at all this year.

My question is: Is it okay to call the school and ask for advice? Or will that just make me seem like a *****?

I would appreciate any input or thoughts on the situation.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that in makes any difference, but the particular school I am interested in in OSU-COM in Tulsa, OK.

UnderGrad,

I've had experience with OSU-COM. I would definitely call them up and make an appointment to see the school and talk to some of the people. The person that you would probably want to talk to is Bonnie Laster. She is a really nice person. And she will tell you 'straight up' how you fair compared to the previous years. She won't say anything like numbers and stuff, but she will tell you what she thinks.

Talking to them is good for several reasons. First, it establishes the fact that you are interested in the school. And OSU, being a small school, that will help out a lot. Also, getting your name in the application pool and around the office can be very important, especially since is office isn't huge and there aren't many applicants (b/c of public school status compared to private schools), so your name will float around the office very quickly. And besides, they aren't going to reject you already, just because you showed interest in the school.

Finally, Bonnie gave me some hints on what to say and not to say on the secondaries. What words to use and what words not to use (like osteopath, a big no no!!) and why. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jephyboy,

Thanks for the tip. I think I've actually talked to Bonnie a couple of years ago back in my pre-req days. She did seem nice. Thanks for bringing her name up.

I really appreciate the advice.

Does anyone else have any input?

Jephboy,
Can you elaborate on what words to NOT use in your secondaries and why osteopath is taboo? Thanks for your help, I'm sure all of us filling out our secondaries need it!

Using the word 'osteopath' is like using the word 'allopath'. People don't go around calling MD's allopath, so you should use osteopath to call a DO. Also, osteopath is generally a word that no one uses. Some of the Adcom people told me that using words and phrases not generally used by the masses (in this case, DO's) is a sign of not really knowing about the field, that is, keeping current. I hope this helps out.

Um, are "osteopathy" and "osteopathic medicine" okay thought? :(

"osteopathy" and "osteopathic medicine" are perfectly fine. Just make sure you pronounce "osteopathy" correctly for your interview. :)

(as-te-a-pe-the)