Should I cancel an interview -am I a backup for the program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingumd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I should cancel an interview that i have coming up in about 2 weeks. I am concerned I am not giving enough notice before canceling the interview, however, others from my DO school have interviewed and ranked the program highly but no one has matched there. I hadn't done this research before I accepted the interview (stupid I know). They have no current DOs in the program.

Now I am thinking I am likely just a "backup" interview. I would cost about $400 dollars to interview and I could use the money!

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if I should cancel an interview that i have coming up in about 2 weeks. I am concerned I am not giving enough notice before canceling the interview, however, others from my DO school have interviewed and ranked the program highly but no one has matched there. I hadn't done this research before I accepted the interview (stupid I know). They have no current DOs in the program.

Now I am thinking I am likely just a "backup" interview. I would cost about $400 dollars to interview and I could use the money!

Any opinions?

I can't speak for other programs but we don't do "backup" interviews at our program. Interviews are a huge resource suck (faculty, residents, money). Therefore if an applicant is not actually being considered to match at our program, we simply wouldn't invite her/him for an interview.

If you don't want to interview at this program, then don't waste your time and don't waste theirs -- just cancel your interview. But if you want to interview at this program and think you might like it enough to rank it highly, then by all means go to the interview.

-AT.

That's good to know...thank you!

Without knowing your entire situation, I'd recommend cancelling it if you don't have the time and interest. If you are scared of being rude-that's no reason to keep the interview. Most programs can fill up an open spot to more than eager applicants.

That's all things being equal. If for example you only had 2 other interviews, I'd be recommending you do as many interviews as you can until you reached at least 7-8 .