Should I change my career path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PreVetGator

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a second semester freshman and greatly messed up this passed semester.
I ended up having to withdrawal from Chem 1 and only got a C in biology because I've been struggling with depression and anxiety, I know this is not a very good excuse, but it truly limited me this semester and there is no going back to change it. However, my grades this semester have made things even worse as the stress of this is causing even more issues as I try to figure out if this career path is truly not for me.
I've never wanted to be anything except a veterinarian, but I fear that I won't get into school in the future. My gpa this semester will be a 3.45 and last semester is was a 3.33. below are the classes I've taken:
Intro to Equine Science - A
Intro to Chem - B+
Pre Calc - C
Equine Management - A
Bio 1 - C
Foaling Practicum - A
General Education course - A
Bio Lab - A
Chem lab - A
Research Class - A
Human Sexuality - A

People tell me that I shouldnt worry so early or that I have a chance of getting into schools in the Caribbean but I'm so lost right now,
Thanks for any help/advice
 
Do your best. Take the next semester of chemistry and biology, then organic. If you can make acceptable grades in these you will be ok. Shoot for A's. Also, use the search function for the forum. There are multiple posts like this one.
 
GPA isn't everything. It's a mixture of your GPA (there are multiple different ways you GPA is calculated as well, cumulative, last 45 hours, science classes, etc) GRE scores, experience hours, and LORs. You said you're a second semester freshman? You can definitely pull your GPA up- you still have lots of time.

However, I will say, if you don't learn to control/ figure out how to handle your stress, depression, and anxiety, it's not going to go away. I struggled with the trifecta throughout high school and my first year of college, and once I got to ochem, **** hit the fan, and it was worse than ever. Learn how to control it (either with meds, relaxation routines, exercise, etc) and you'll definitely be better off.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, depression and anxiety are not just excuses. They are very real things that are a detriment to your health and well being. If you're really suffering, seek treatment now. I'm going to be honest, I waited until my senior year of college to get professional help and I wish I had done it sooner. I put myself in a bad place and put a lot of unnecessary stress on friends and family. You may not need medication, not everyone does. I'm not on it currently. You've got to get it sorted out before you proceed. I got accepted to an American school with a 3.4. So no, you're not limited to the carribean (though highest GPA possible does help). But don't proceed if you aren't ready, or need to work on yourself. Your science grades look fine to me honestly
 
No, depression and anxiety are not just excuses. They are very real things that are a detriment to your health and well being. If you're really suffering, seek treatment now. I'm going to be honest, I waited until my senior year of college to get professional help and I wish I had done it sooner. I put myself in a bad place and put a lot of unnecessary stress on friends and family. You may not need medication, not everyone does. I'm not on it currently. You've got to get it sorted out before you proceed. I got accepted to an American school with a 3.4. So no, you're not limited to the carribean (though highest GPA possible does help). But don't proceed if you aren't ready, or need to work on yourself. Your science grades look fine to me honestly
I agree that they aren't excuses, but it's also really important to get treatment like you said. There's no reason to continue suffering and cite this as the reason for what could be a continuing decline of GPA if you know what the problem is now.

Anxiety and depression have a nasty tendency to show up in vet school, or get much worse if you already deal with it. Definitely seek treatment now, you'll be happy you did (literally 😛).
 
I agree that they aren't excuses, but it's also really important to get treatment like you said. There's no reason to continue suffering and cite this as the reason for what could be a continuing decline of GPA if you know what the problem is now.

Anxiety and depression have a nasty tendency to show up in vet school, or get much worse if you already deal with it. Definitely seek treatment now, you'll be happy you did (literally 😛).

Yeah, I'm very scared of how things will flare up in school since I'm already going through it. And I'll be a long way away from therapists that I'm used to. Counseling services are in our tuiton and fees here though so that helps. Really I'm just scared of being 6 hours away from home and family.
 
Yeah, I'm very scared of how things will flare up in school since I'm already going through it. And I'll be a long way away from therapists that I'm used to. Counseling services are in our tuiton and fees here though so that helps. Really I'm just scared of being 6 hours away from home and family.
I'm exactly 6 hours away too. We're in different situations though...being far from my family has only helped me. Being far from my SO hasn't. Just know that people want to help you.
 
I had 3 Cs on my transcript and I made it in. I had an overall GPA of 3.4/3.5 .