Medical Should I choose state DO SMP vs recognizable SMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: going to the SMP route b/c I need GPA repair (~3.36, flatline), MCAT: 514, TX resident, asian female, first generation

I have 2 choices:
a SMP at a in-state DO school that TX adcoms have heard of and generally have a good opinion of
or
a SMP at BostonU (out-of-state)

The biggest factor i am considering is the price difference and the reputation
the in-state SMP is 13k (would be living at home with parents), while BU SMP's COA is ~70K

However, my impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the in-state SMP has recognition at TX schools only, while the out-of-state one has more recognition everywhere.

Does SMP reputation matter at all?? I would prefer not to go to a DO school because I have no particular interest in fam med or peds and would not want to match into these at all

To be clear going DO does not mean by any means you have to go into family medicine or pediatrics. With that said, if you don’t want to be a DO, don’t apply DO when it comes time to apply.

You may have already answered your own question though. Does the SMP in TX have any other affiliations? If it helps with the TX schools and the cost is where it is with a support system around and a place to stay, it sounds like that may be the better option. Looking at info from there SMP site, around 70% go onto med school after, both DO and MD.

Do either of these programs provide a guarantee of any sort? Such as admission or an interview with any contingencies?

^ something to consider with this is that not everyone does go onto med school after, so is ~$57k/yr worth going north for a possibility if chances are otherwise equal in both places?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.