Should I claim Disadvantaged status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biograd29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know about 9 million other people have asked this question, but I have a bit of an unusual childhood experience.

Parents declared bankruptcy in the late 90s and we moved to Florida. Dad ran a trucking business and ended up getting arrested my freshman year of high school. Life fell apart, I had help support my sister and mother - Dad was in federal prison for 2 years and we were on the poverty line for a while. We went to private school, but during the time of my dad's incarceration the school gave my sister and I scholarships to stay. Dad got out of prison my senior year, and middle of freshman year violated his parol and was incarcerated again for another year. I had to work all through college and support myself but I did it, and graduated from Tulane. Dad is now currently on welfare, but I know that the prompt asks about years 0-18, not now hehe.

I learned so much from this turmoil that I really don't want to seem like I am a whiner, but the situation was extremely hard. My schooling was not compromised in any way, but we didn't have health insurance or medical/dental care for about 5 years while I was in middle/high school.

What would you guys do? :)

Members don't see this ad.