Should I classify myself as economically disadvantaged on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotAThrowaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I was filling out my AMCAS app and came across the economically disadvantaged question and selected no. When I was filling out my AACOMAS app I came across a similar question, and they provided quantitative guidelines. Under those guidelines I am considered economically disadvantaged. My question is should I use those same guidelines for AMCAS? If so, when they ask to explain it, do I write that according to the federal poverty level guidelines I am, and should I detail the "struggle" to further justify the selection -which I find kind of weird-?

For those of you who may be wondering why I said no the first time. This is the only lifestyle I know, and many others around me experience the same things, so I figured it was the norm. Also my parents are from Haiti, and have told me several stories over the years about their upbringing, and when I compared it to my situation I'm living like a king, but apparently not.

Members don't see this ad.

They are looking for a brief paragraph. Your parents names, occupations and highest level of education are already listed on the application (optional but it does help put your socioeconomic status in perspective.

Go for a brief paragraph. You lived in [type of housing: house, apartment, trailer, number of bedrooms. rent:whether it was government subsidized, public housing, or if it was not subsidized. If you know how much of your monthly income the rent took and it was >50%, say that -- many poor folks live in unsubsidized housing and it eats up the bulk of their monthly income) with [number] family members. (was it overcrowded?) Did you have appliances, heat or plumbing that did not work? IF yes, describe. If there was illness in the family or bouts of unemployment that supressed the income to the family, say something about that. If you didn't qualify for aid due to immigration status, etc. mention that. If you received help from private charities or neighbors, you can mention that and express gratitude for that help. If you had a teacher or other role model who championed your k-12 education, mention that and express gratitude.

That should pretty much cover it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user