Should I Consider Caribbean Schools Considering My Statistics/Chances? Are They a Viable Option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MintChocolateChip94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in the need of some advice, particularly regarding medical schools in the Caribbean. I have currently applied to about 10 medical schools and received one interview from my state medical school. I think the reason I haven't heard back from many schools is because I was a late applicant. I am planning on graduating in three years which I didn't know if it would work out initially or not and hence I waited to finish courses such as biochem and molecular bio before taking my MCAT. My gpa is 3.8 and my MCAT score is 28. I have heard that Caribbean medical schools have rolling admissions and I am seriously considering applying to them just in case my interview doesn't work out or I don't hear back from other schools. However, I have some serious concerns. First off, I am not extremely familiar with Spanish. Is this necessary for these schools? The last time that I took a language was in high school for three years. I never learned more than basic conjugation. However, I am bilingual. Second, I have heard from many that safety is a concern regarding these medical schools because most of these schools are located in underprivileged neighborhoods. As a result, I am wondering, are you confined to your campus? If anyone has any advice regarding my application status or could provide me with some help regarding the application process to Caribbean schools or tell me their experiences at such schools, it will be greatly appreciated.

Please do not encourage me to apply to DO schools because I need a reference from a DO Doctor which I do not have and I am too late for this cycle. I want to take advantage of my early graduation and do not want to wait any longer. Secondly, of the 10 medical schools that I applied to, 3 have turned me down but the rest of them still say that my application is under review or consideration. Do I still have a chance for those schools?

Members don't see this ad.

OP, I understand you are "eager" to start your medical career. But for your own sake, please try to find out more before making a "hasty" decision. There is a reason why people encourage others to apply for DO instead of Caribbean schools. Keep browsing the forum and you will find out the reasons. First of all, your stats is competitive for many DO schools. Maybe take a year off, try to get a better MCAT score and you can even apply for MD schools. If not, just take a gap year to explore other aspects of life and try for DO schools. Whatever your decision will be, DO NOT APPLY to Caribbean schools because you want to start early. You will regret it later.