Should I continue being pre-med? Which major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chapman6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Currently an undergrad at UCLA with a gpa of 3.17. I've finished most all the pre-med classes except the last of physics (Physcis 6C). I made the mistake of taking the harder series of math my freshman year and ended up with two C's in 31B and 32A, also a C in microeconomic theory and a C Chemistry 14C (the first of O-chem) because of terrible studying habits that quarter. Overall, the first two years here have been confusing and rough due to the fast-paced quarter system, unknowingly signing up for too many hard classes at once ( freshman year+ fall of sophomore year), and little guidance.

I would like to major in MIMG (Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics) or Ecology, Behavior, and Evolutionary Biology since I really have no other choice to major in anything other than something bio since it is already junior year . If I do the MIMG major I will also try to apply for the biomedical research minor, but there is a big chance that I will not get in. The MIMG major has a reputation for being a gpa crusher, thus I might have little chance to raise it above 3.4 in the last two years to salvage for med school. But at the same time, the content of this major will prepare well for med school and also might look a little better with adcoms when paired with the bmed research minor. Also, in the case that med school doesn't work out, I might be able go into biotech as a different career path.

The Ecology major seems completely useless in terms of finding a job or for medical school (eg. Ornithology, Marine Science are examples of some upper div classes), but these classes are easier, and if I take some other easy sciences like nutrition (Phy Sci 5) I might be able to raise my gpa over 3.4 but have no hope of finding a job after college if I do decide to give up on pre-med. If I do this EBE major, I will also take some programming classes just in case. In addition, I like learning about the ocean and birds and what not compared to bacteria in MIMG. Should I major in MIMG or EBE?

I am open the idea of doing a post-bacc because I know my GPA will not be up to par by the time I graduate. I hope to score well on the MCAT if I do go down this road. I recently applied to Care Extenders to get some clinical experience and see if I like the hospital setting, but was cut after the interview, so I'm feeling a bit discouraged. But it's been that way the last two years ever since I got to UCLA. The only extracurricular I have right now is a job as a cashier at the student union, and I had a research volunteer position that recently ended. I guess the real question is, should I work to preserve my GPA, hope to get a good score on the MCAT to make up for my gpa, do a post-bacc, research, and volunteer...the whole shabang. Or should I f*** it and give up and focus my last two years on getting a job. I really really would like to become a doctor, and I recently figured out that this was what I wanted all along after being indecisive for so long, but in the current state of affairs, it looks to be an uphill battle from here since I took so long to decide. Sry for such a long-winded post and I'm grateful for any advice. If not, letting my worries go into the abyss that is the internet felt freeing anyways. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Some points:

1. Major and minor don't matter
2. Focus on improving your GPA, so take the ecology major and do a postbacc
3. Search for other hospital, free clinic, hospice volunteering
4. Research on DO schools and use their grade replacement policy

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say pursue what interests you, bust ass for the MCAT. If your GPA is great with padded classes it will show, as will a GPA reflective of difficult coursework.

Unless you like ecology I would stick with the MIMG (I personally find that course material interesting)

You don't have to stay in bio, it will help for the MCAT, but there is a growing trend towards having an advantage as a unique major

I would say pursue what interests you, bust ass for the MCAT. If your GPA is great with padded classes it will show, as will a GPA reflective of difficult coursework.

Unless you like ecology I would stick with the MIMG (I personally find that course material interesting)

You don't have to stay in bio, it will help for the MCAT, but there is a growing trend towards having an advantage as a unique major

Schools won't know what's easy or hard, because it isn't objective. They care more about the GPA and ecology shouldn't be viewed as a GPA padding major.

But taking a class in physiology and biochemistry will definitely help.

You should only major in something in which you feel you can succeed from here on out. If you can't pull basically straight As in your major of choice, change it. Perform as exceptionally as you can manage for the rest of your college career, do a SMP, and apply low tier MD (very low shot) and DO (good shot with grade replacement).

Any EC that detracts from your performance should be scrapped- no amount of volunteering is saving a 3.1 with Cs in their prereqs. Repair your GPA- screw research or any other major time commitments. One half-shift a week of clinical volunteering might be fine, but your GPA demonstrates the need to focus on academics above all else at this juncture.

Ok, thanks so much for the advice! It really helps to put everything in perspective and what's important at the end of the day. I truly appreciate the help. It's been a lot more than two years at UCLA.