Should I continue with research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been taking research as a class this past summer and according to my lab coordinators, who I work with on a daily basis, I’m doing A worthy work. However in a lab meeting with my research professor last week, he decided that I will receive either a B+/A- in the class because I’m not being innovative enough and “looking deeper into the project.” Admittedly my experiments have not been going as planned, but that’s not my fault as my lab coordinators attempted the same experiments and are getting the same results. Getting a B+/A- in the course will actually hurt my average rather than help it. After discussing it over with my lab coordinators, they talked to my professor to get me an A- in the class. However another A- will hurt my GPA in the future so so I do not know if I should continue on with research in the fall. Any advice on whether or not I should continue on with it?

Will taking one semester of research hurt my chances when I'm applying to med schools? I've probably worked 20-25 hours every week this summer so I have a decent about of research hours accumulated already.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you just do research without taking it for a grade?

That being said, I'm surprised professors actually give out non-A's for research-for-credit. I always assumed these classes were free A's.

Can't you just switch your research over to getting paid by the hour rather than receiving credit for it? We get the option for either one at my school...

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in a world of hurt, my friend. Like someone above said, it's unheard of that you get anything less than an "A" in research classes. It might bring into question why you received an A-, and since you won't be getting a good/any rec letter, that compounds. If that PI is such a dick, I say quit. Switch to another lab. No point in a paid position either since it doesn't lead to a good recommendation.

I wish I knew my research professor was a jerk before I started working for him. Currently the lab I'm working for is low on funds so they cant afford to pay me to work there. For some reason, research at the school I attend is never an easy A. The other girl I worked with over the summer is going to receive a B- so I guess I should consider myself lucky.